Around The NHL 2022-23 Regular Season

Brawndo

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

Agree with most of this except I think it is poorly understood and often misread and overrated by fans, many of whom just use it as an excuse to cover what they really want: to enjoy the catharsis of “our” guy pounding the snot out of “their” guy.

Riley Stillman went after Tanner Jeannot. Dylan Cozens went after Trent Frederic. They “had their teammates backs.” Doesn’t carry a ton of weight for the masses because in the first case they lost the fight and in the 2nd they lost the game.

Did it carry weight in the room? Probably, but it doesn’t seem to be carrying much on the scoreboard.

It seems that the guys on the ice go out of their way to express their appreciation and enthusiasm for it, so its not just a fan thing. Players of all types go out of their way to mention it in positive ways.  Can’t say I recall a player dismissing it.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Maybe Crosby thinks they can have another run but I just don’t see it.

It’s got to be tough on their management knowing they can’t win it all but trying to keep Crosby happy. I don’t feel sorry for them but they have no future. Crosby has helped them win 3 Cups though.

It’s not just trying to keep him happy he’s actively really good still - they should certainly be trying to win. When they decide to retool it’ll be quick. Our frame of reference of eternal rebuild mode sorta slants it for us 

7 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It’s not just trying to keep him happy he’s actively really good still - they should certainly be trying to win. When they decide to retool it’ll be quick. Our frame of reference of eternal rebuild mode sorta slants it for us 

He’s still good but not much of a supporting cast. When they decide to rebuild, the best thing he could do for them is agree to move for a pile of prospects and picks. Maybe he sticks around to mentor them or just retires. I don’t think they have much of a pipeline.

Ruhwedel and Fedun playing D for them tonight.

8 hours ago, French Collection said:

Caps season is over after that, 6 points back with 8 games left. Pens have 9 games left.

Lots of teams have puked all over themselves trying to get a WC slot.

It’s time to blow that team up and start building for the future. Let’s see if Ted starts selling assets this summer. 

i live in Virginia and would love to watch Cap fans go through the pain we have 

Vince Mcmahon Laughing GIF by WWE

12 hours ago, French Collection said:

Maybe Crosby thinks they can have another run but I just don’t see it.

It’s got to be tough on their management knowing they can’t win it all but trying to keep Crosby happy. I don’t feel sorry for them but they have no future. Crosby has helped them win 3 Cups though.

So long as you have a chance to get in the playoffs, I think you are doing your fans a disservice to not play to win.

I grew up with a 16-21 team NHL.  In those days 12-16 teams (75%) made the playoffs but in any given year there were probably 2-4 teams that had a legitimate shot and most years there was a clear favourite (MTL, NYI, EDM). Making the playoffs and winning a round, or even two rounds in the old Norris Division, was not that great an accomplishment. Today, with 32 teams and 50% making the playoffs and 8-10 teams with a legit chance to win, I think making the playoffs is an accomplishment and winning a round is a significant accomplishment. Pittsburgh is not likely to beat Boston or Carolina (though the Canes are a little vulnerable, in my view), but upsets do happen.

I look forward to the Sabres having a 6-7 year run as a legit top 5 contender followed by a 3-4 year period where we wonder if it is time to start it over again. I say ride the pony as long as it will run.  Rebuilds can always be started tomorrow.

Edited by Archie Lee
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/25/2023 at 5:28 AM, Quint said:

Eichel gets his first taste of playoff hockey.

Zadorov pastes Marchand in the boards, then handles Frederic. I know he's inconsistent but I want this guy back. So entertaining.

Vegas, Tampa, Boston, Colorado - Don’t these teams know that fighting is not tolerated in this league?    Hooligans and Neanderthals, the whole lot of them. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.