Around The NHL 2022-23 Regular Season

Brawndo

A lot of us were burying Tampa, saying they were done, the Sabres had a chance to catch them, if the played the Leafs they were going to get swept, etc, etc.

The Sabres aren't catching them, they may still lose to the leafs, but they now won 3 in a row, including back to back over New Jersey, and are within 3 points of Toront in the standings again.

Colorado all of a sudden on a 5 game win streak.  2 games in hand on everyone above them in the standings. If, IF they win those 2 games (more likely that when we say that about the Sabres doing it), they would be leading their division, 2nd place in the conference, and only 2 points behind the conference lead.

Maybe they were just having that post Stanely Cup hangover early in the year, and now they are coming on as being just as good as the Easter Conference teams....with liklely a much easier path (and one that might wear them down less) to the cup than anyone coming out of the east.  Of their next 5 upcoming games they have Chicago, Arizona twice and Anaheim.

Edited by mjd1001

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

Colorado all of a sudden on a 5 game win streak.  2 games in hand on everyone above them in the standings. If, IF they win those 2 games (more likely that when we say that about the Sabres doing it), they would be leading their division, 2nd place in the conference, and only 2 points behind the conference lead.

Maybe they were just having that post Stanely Cup hangover early in the year, and now they are coming on as being just as good as the Easter Conference teams....with liklely a much easier path (and one that might wear them down less) to the cup than anyone coming out of the east.  Of their next 5 upcoming games they have Chicago, Arizona twice and Anaheim.

Think injuries hit them hard too.  Actually still think they have some major injuries 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

West road def easier 

Vegas will need to be reckoned with though. They look great. Eichel hatty yesterday 

9 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Think injuries hit them hard too.  Actually still think they have some major injuries 

Ya Makar was down. He’s back and closing in on Norris conversation, now 

Within this WGR link is a 20 min segment with Granato on the Jeremy White Show. The coach talks about Greenway, Levi and Samuelsson. With respect to Greenway, he is confident that he can be a lot better. There are hints that he is hurt. He mentioned that right now he is day to day. On Levi, he pointed out that what makes him special as a player is his makeup and maturity beyond his years. He compares him to Power in that regard. On the loss of Samuelsson and relating it to the team's struggles, he stated that the team's downward spiral after his injury is more attributable to the depletion within the unit rather than attributing it directly to Samuelsson not playing. 

My general takeaway is that the coach is an ardent believer in the process and is optimistic that the organization is on the right course. 

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/authors/howard-and-jeremy-show

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Within this WGR link is a 20 min segment with Granato on the Jeremy White Show. The coach talks about Greenway, Levi and Samuelsson. With respect to Greenway, he is confident that he can be a lot better. There are hints that he is hurt. He mentioned that right now he is day to day. On Levi, he pointed out that what makes him special as a player is his makeup and maturity beyond his years. He compares him to Power in that regard. On the loss of Samuelsson and relating it to the team's struggles, he stated that the team's downward spiral after his injury is more attributable to the depletion within the unit rather than attributing it directly to Samuelsson not playing. 

My general takeaway is that the coach is an ardent believer in the process and is optimistic that the organization is on the right course. 

It's important to believe ones own bs

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Well of course he's a believer. That's why he's here. He's a big part of the master plan. 

"depletion within the unit" is the same thing as saying we lack defensive depth but doesn't piss off his boss. 

Greenway ineffective due to injury? Don't buy that for a second. Minnesota dumped him because he was ineffective. This is just a way to buy time, hoping you can find a way to get him going and fitting in somewhere. He certainly wasn't going to say "ya, idk what Kev was thinking there, the guy's a stiff"

9 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well of course he's a believer. That's why he's here. He's a big part of the master plan. 

"depletion within the unit" is the same thing as saying we lack defensive depth but doesn't piss off his boss. 

Greenway ineffective due to injury? Don't buy that for a second. Minnesota dumped him because he was ineffective. This is just a way to buy time, hoping you can find a way to get him going and fitting in somewhere. He certainly wasn't going to say "ya, idk what Kev was thinking there, the guy's a stiff"

It's your standard jaundiced view of things. Of course, DG is on board with the plan. Why do you think that he was given the position and full time hiring after the Krueger firing? It certainly wasn't because he disagreed with blueprint that the new GM established. In your fantasy world you expected that the turnaround should have been instantaneous with no bumps and bruises on the way. You don't have to be sober to understand that is not how things usually work. 

You act as if your understanding of the definition of "depletion" is a major discovery. Of course, it means lack of depth. What else is it supposed to mean? 

Edited by JohnC

20 minutes ago, JohnC said:

It's your standard jaundiced view of things. Of course, DG is on board with the plan. Why do you think that he was given the position and full time hiring after the Krueger firing? It certainly wasn't because he disagreed with blueprint that the new GM established. In your fantasy world you expected that the turnaround should have been instantaneous with no bumps and bruises on the way. You don't have to be sober to understand that is not how things usually work. 

You act as if your understanding of the definition of "depletion" is a major discovery. Of course, it means lack of depth. What else is it supposed to mean? 

Oh now I'm "jaundiced" that's a new one. What? Did I need to put smiley faces after each line for you to make it happier? Oh wait, those are yellow...................

This has come up before, but you have the 2 year view and I have the 11 year view. I take a longer view. Probably it's since I started watching this team in the 1970s and I refuse to lower my standard of excellence and expectation to where it is in this era. My standard comes from that era and stays there. No team in any sport should take 11 years to rebuild and STILL not make the playoffs. If that's "jaundiced" so be it. 

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Oh now I'm "jaundiced" that's a new one. What? Did I need to put smiley faces after each line for you to make it happier? Oh wait, those are yellow...................

This has come up before, but you have the 2 year view and I have the 11 year view. I take a longer view. Probably it's since I started watching this team in the 1970s and I refuse to lower my standard of excellence and expectation to where it is in this era. My standard comes from that era and stays there. No team in any sport should take 11 years to rebuild and STILL not make the playoffs. If that's "jaundiced" so be it. 

My time frame is different from yours. The KA era has absolutely nothing to do with the era/s before his elevation and tenure as a GM. I understand the frustrations of many here. But my viewpoint, compared to those who constantly compare this team to teams from era in the past, is that he is taking the right approach. In fact, I would say that his rebuild is going faster than I thought it would take. I'm confident that you have another view. Nostalgia can be entrapping. 

• Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.