Around The NHL 2022-23 Regular Season

Brawndo

1 hour ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Yes, thank you for saying that. He is free to express himself, and we are also free to express our reactions to it.

But is he free to *not* express himself?  And if we react to his absence of expression the way we are, is it truly freedom?  

55 minutes ago, Eleven said:

But is he free to *not* express himself?  And if we react to his absence of expression the way we are, is it truly freedom?  

Agree w/ your general point, but yes in this case negative reactions to his choice do nothing to detract from his true freedom as what free speech entails is speech free from government persecution, and I don’t think he’s getting a call from Bumbling Biden* anytime soon 

* not a political statement, I just like alliteration and he’s certainly known in the political sphere for his gaffes 

6 hours ago, LTS said:

It's fair to ask why others don't get time, but it doesn't mean those that do are not worthy of the time given.  It's not MAYBE the military, every year there is a military pre-game warmup. It's not MAYBE cancer patients, every year this happens. It's becoming not MAYBE indigenous people but pretty much every year teams have nights that honor them.

Of the groups you named, how many of them would you like to see get special jerseys?  Do you really want space aliens and stray animals to get them?  Is it good enough that many teams now have team dogs that highlight adoption, shelters, service animal programs?

I'm against special jerseys for any group. If one group is singled out, then it excludes everybody else. 

Edited by Quint
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Agree w/ your general point, but yes in this case negative reactions to his choice do nothing to detract from his true freedom as what free speech entails is speech free from government persecution, and I don’t think he’s getting a call from Bumbling Biden* anytime soon 

* not a political statement, I just like alliteration and he’s certainly known in the political sphere for his gaffes 

Yeah I know that the first amendment only applies to government intervention...not my point...

11 hours ago, Taro T said:

Other groups do get time: 

Sabres special nights:

Hockey Fights Cancer

Native American Heritage Night

Youth Hockey Day

Choose Love Night

St. Patrick's Day

Military Appreciation Night

Pride Night

Kids Appreciation Day

Fan Appreciation Night

Except for Youth Hockey, Kids, & Fan Appreciation believe they all have custom warmup sweaters.

(Didn't include others like Tooth's B-Day, 90's Night, Miller Banner Night, etc.)

Agree 100%.. although I don't think they wear Crayola sweaters for the pre-game on Kid's Appreciation Date.  I don't worry about these things.

9 hours ago, Eleven said:

Forced speech is not free speech.  If I'm going to support Colin Kaepernick sitting the anthem out, I have to support Provorov sitting out warmups.  Doesn't matter that I'm a BLM and LGBT supporter.  Forced speech is not free speech.

100%. And free speech is not free from consequences. If people don't like how Tortorella or the Flyers handled it, then take it up with them. The player made his choice. The coach made his. The organization made theirs. They are all individual choices.

5 hours ago, Quint said:

I'm against special jerseys for any group. If one group is singled out, then it excludes everybody else. 

By your rule there should participation trophies for everyone. Everyone should make the team. Because by not making it.. a group or individual is singled out.  It's literally the lowest common denominator.. but I'm not even sure what that would be for you.  We can't have human night because they would exclude the dogs and aliens.  Do we have Celebrate Life night?  or would that be an insult to the rocks of the world?

Everyone gets excluded every day.

48 minutes ago, Quint said:

That's a stupid comment that doesn't make any sense.

So let me explain it to you.  Having Ladies Night means men are excluded from the deals at the bar. Why not have alien night?  or stray animals night?  By your thinking you can't exclude anyone.. so you Ladies Night is a no go.  Also, the hell with senior citizen discounts, military discounts, etc. right?

• Eyeroll 1

9 hours ago, Thorny said:

I was muted a few years ago for using the T word so this comment should not be allowed either. 

(personally I'd allow both, but I'm not an admin and fair is fair). 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Watched the Isles lose to the Bruins tonight. They are pretty banged up and lacking in offense but they do play that close checking and stifling style we seem to struggle with. It will be difficult to beat them, but perhaps the timing is good. 

Full house tonight.  Sabres generally play well in our barn when there is a full house.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Taro T said:

Other groups do get time: 

Sabres special nights:

Hockey Fights Cancer

Native American Heritage Night

Youth Hockey Day

Choose Love Night

St. Patrick's Day

Military Appreciation Night

Pride Night

Kids Appreciation Day

Fan Appreciation Night

Except for Youth Hockey, Kids, & Fan Appreciation believe they all have custom warmup sweaters.

(Didn't include others like Tooth's B-Day, 90's Night, Miller Banner Night, etc.)

I think that the special recognition days are fine.  Nothing wrong with practicing unity and supporting our entire community.  The best times of my life have been when I felt part of something bigger than me alone.  

The notion that we need to recognize various "groups" and "communities" is well intended (to raise awareness and promote equality) but it can also have a side effect that is divisive (the case of religion vs LGBTQ+ is one case).  The essence of all this recognition is to get to the level were all folks are treated fairly (inclusion).  That is what this should be all about.  

Treat other people the way you want to be treated.  My Mom used to tell me that message, what a smart lady.    It is easier to say it, than it is to put into practice.   

Additionally. I do think highly of the military, medical and first responders, and our police and fire departments   - they deserve recognition for supporting everyone else, and they are not doing it for money or fame or recognition.  

14 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Not sure why anyone would get worked up about Provorov’s decision. Nobody is going to be any more or any less oppressed over some dude wearing or not wearing a jersey for a few minutes.

The interesting thing with this (in how it ultimately plays out) is Gritty is a bit of a gay icon. As I understand it, even some non hockey fans took to this mascot for some reason or other.

ENzXs5nXsAMRFhl.jpeg

Edited by PerreaultForever

6 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

The interesting thing with this (in how it ultimately plays out) is Gritty is a bit of a gay icon. As I understand it, even some non hockey fans took to this mascot for some reason or other.

ENzXs5nXsAMRFhl.jpeg

I’ll take your word for it but I’ve never heard of Provorov being any type of icon. Hence who gives a **** what he does.

17 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I’ll take your word for it but I’ve never heard of Provorov being any type of icon. Hence who gives a **** what he does.

No, what I'm saying is Philly, with Gritty, has been very LGBQT supportive and has gained fans. More than a lot of other teams so it's rather "awkward" for them, as an organization, to have to deal with this issue. 

There were Provorov trade rumours before, so I wonder if this action might lead to that happening. 

• Vomit 1

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

No, what I'm saying is Philly, with Gritty, has been very LGBQT supportive and has gained fans. More than a lot of other teams so it's rather "awkward" for them, as an organization, to have to deal with this issue. 

There were Provorov trade rumours before, so I wonder if this action might lead to that happening. 

If he gets traded I hope this doesn’t factor into it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.