Around The NHL 2022-23 Regular Season

Brawndo

On 1/12/2023 at 11:47 PM, PerreaultForever said:

Some people questioned (or scoffed) at my comment that Seattle didn't play their A game against us. If you saw the Bruins Kraken game tonight, THAT was their A game. 

I was the one who questioned that comment because the Sabres were the reason that Seattle didn’t play their A game.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

On 1/13/2023 at 2:24 PM, PerreaultForever said:

Build the culture first. The team has dogged determination and a very strong work ethic. They don't quit and they play as a team. In the Boston game they were fast but also very disciplined and positionally sound. Solid structured play. 

Secondly a more mixed and balanced approach. They might not be the best at any one thing but they have a little of everything and can adapt to different styles with scoring spread out and on any given night facing a different type of team a different line will lead them. 

So to compare with the Sabres, they signed veterans to fill the holes they had. They chose the right FA goalie to fill that hole. maybe lucky, but they got the right guy at the moment. Their D doesn't have the puck movers we have but they are big and solid and play better D - especially in front of their own net. They don't have a kid line, they placed their rookie phenom between veterans to maximize his success. 

You can argue the Sabres are much better in terms of offensive talent. Younger and better. But the Sabres also have glaring weaknesses that can be exploited. Seattle doesn't have those. It's harder to figure out how to attack them. 

Long term which team will be better is hard to say. Depends on who is drafting better. But they have staggered their veteran contracts to come off the books a few at a time, which is the way I would have done the Sabres rather than this cap floor dead contract nonsense (holding room for the future). They are more win now than win later. We are the reverse.

Your first comment, “build a culture first”, is correct and interesting.   This is their 2nd season.  They are still defining the culture.  

Two things will set the tone.  The GM/coach combination and the type of players they acquire.  The picked up some very good vets, some with rings.  Beniers is the key and the guy they will build around. 

I think they are still building the culture and off to a good start.  

Side note: I don’t like the uniform colors.  

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I was the one who questioned that comment because the Sabres were the reason that Seattle didn’t play their A game.  

Good call out.  I had to look at the winning streak in January for the Kraken.  They are the first team in NHL history to sweep a seven game road trip, and three of the six teams that swept 6 games went on to win the cup (according to On the Fly/NHL).  They also have a goal difference of +25 month to date.   That was one hot team, and the Sabres were  ultra competitive. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Broken Ankles said:

Good call out.  I had to look at the winning streak in January for the Kraken.  They are the first team in NHL history to sweep a seven game road trip, and three of the six teams that swept 6 games went on to win the cup (according to On the Fly/NHL).  They also have a goal difference of +25 month to date.   That was one hot team, and the Sabres were  ultra competitive. 

It's also the first time in the history of the Seattle Kraken AND the Golden Knights.

5 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Ya, I still disagree with that depiction but no need to go on about it forever. 

I'm really going to enjoy it if Seattle takes Vegas out of the playoffs. 

5 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Your first comment, “build a culture first”, is correct and interesting.   This is their 2nd season.  They are still defining the culture.  

Two things will set the tone.  The GM/coach combination and the type of players they acquire.  The picked up some very good vets, some with rings.  Beniers is the key and the guy they will build around. 

I think they are still building the culture and off to a good start.  

Side note: I don’t like the uniform colors.  

I hear you, but these west coast teams are always ocean water (blue) obsessed. The S isn't bad, but I don't love the uniforms either. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Getpucksdeep said:

Interesting conversation tonight 2nd int vegas vs dallas - discussing an Eichel interview w/ the home town guy.  Jack taking responsibility for his ***** energy. Ha.

Also Torts banned ipads on the bench?  And Cassidy is considering the same.  Hmmph.

I imagine the use of tablets on the bench is as fraught as the use of computers in math classes.  If you know what you are doing as a coach or teacher and can educate your players or students on how to use them properly, then they are probably useful.  But the potential for misuse is high.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/minnesota-wild-sign-f-matt-boldy-to-seven-year-49m-extension-1.1906776

I didn't see this posted yet.  Boldy signed for 7 years at $7M.  Seems a bit high.  Cozens numbers are much better so his leverage keeps rising.  One of the interesting side stories in watching Minnesota manage the Salary cap.

Just got back from the Golden Knights game and their effort tonight was pathetic. They have been total trash at home this season and a lot of us season ticket holders are getting pissed due to the way they play on the road compared to home! I knew Dallas was going to win tonight for our former coach, then you throw in our injury situation and it’s a recipe for disaster. The chemistry is off with this team and it’s pretty tough to make moves when you’re right up against the cap. Oh and by the way I don’t think Logan Thompson should be an all star. He’s played well but not at an all star level. I think Stephenson should have been chosen and he’s been good all season until Eichel came back. Take that however you want but Jack isn’t going to rescue these guys. Jack needs to shoot the puck a lot more but he’s always doing the same things. He wants to control the puck and then trys these cross ice passes that defenders usually get their sticks on. Vegas will be lucky to hold on to a playoff spot with the way they are playing plus the injuries are starting to pile up. 

12 hours ago, Marvin said:

I imagine the use of tablets on the bench is as fraught as the use of computers in math classes.  If you know what you are doing as a coach or teacher and can educate your players or students on how to use them properly, then they are probably useful.  But the potential for misuse is high.

Agreed. Can see some having tendency to stick nose in it after a shift as opposed to engaging in conversation with coach / teammates.  Cassidy's comments were good "find a balance".

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Digger said:

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/minnesota-wild-sign-f-matt-boldy-to-seven-year-49m-extension-1.1906776

I didn't see this posted yet.  Boldy signed for 7 years at $7M.  Seems a bit high.  Cozens numbers are much better so his leverage keeps rising.  One of the interesting side stories in watching Minnesota manage the Salary cap.

Boldy got 7 per and there’s people who think Dahlin will come in at below 10 haha

How the heck does McDavid have *83 points*. Next closest non cake-job player (Leon) has 21 points less - that’s Kucherov. That’s absurd. He’s got about 50% more points than Tage Thompson who’s having an MVP quality year. 

In reality, McDavid should get the MVP every year. There isn’t an argument he’s not the best player and the most valuable 

Edited by Thorny

20 hours ago, Digger said:

Not liking that as it's going to drive Cozens deal even further above Thompson's.  Would really like to see Cozens inked soon.  (Like yesterday, soon.)

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.