Around The NHL 2022-23 Regular Season

Brawndo

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

Where could Owen Power be sent back to? It’s not like Michigan was an option once OP elected to turn pro. I suppose the AHL is an option but I’m not convinced his developmental needs are better met anywhere but the NHL at this point. 

Pretty sure he meant to say, just like Power played the majority of his D+1 year outside the NHL, Wright probably should've been afforded a similar opportunity.

Nobody is advocating to have Power anywhere but the Sabres 2nd pairing.  (Even though he still suffers growing pains like any other rookie still in his D+2 year.  The good far exceeds the ooopsies.)

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Think he means “sent back” like Power was last year, his first post draft year 

Ah yes. Total brain cramp on my part. Thanks for the clarification.

7 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Pretty sure he meant to say, just like Power played the majority of his D+1 year outside the NHL, Wright probably should've been afforded a similar opportunity.

Nobody is advocating to have Power anywhere but the Sabres 2nd pairing.  (Even though he still suffers growing pains like any other rookie still in his D+2 year.  The good far exceeds the ooopsies.)

Yep. Brain cramp on my part. 

• Thanks (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Eleven said:

What's going on with Shane Wright?  It's looking like the Habs dodged a bullet.

Byfield just sent down to the minors. Remember when people wanted him in an Eichel deal? Then again, it's still too early on him, Wright, Jirichek (also sent down yesterday). None of these people have passed their expiration dates as prospects yet. Way too early. 

11 hours ago, K-9 said:

Where could Owen Power be sent back to? It’s not like Michigan was an option once OP elected to turn pro. I suppose the AHL is an option but I’m not convinced his developmental needs are better met anywhere but the NHL at this point. 

EDIT: @LGR4GM Please disregard this post. I brain cramped but got clarification from @Thorny and @Taro T

No worries. Thorny had your answer. 

• Like (+1) 1

That said... D+1 guys should almost always go back. It is a little different for OHL, WHL, QMJHL guys because I think those leagues can be outgrown by 18 for sure but even still most players are fine getting 1 more year in a developmental league before trying the NHL. Physically few are ready (Byfield) or if they are, the game hasn't slowed down yet for them (Jiricek). Now Bedard and Fantilli probably wouldn't need that in 2023 but everyone else does. Bedard because holy lord, just wow. Fantilli because also wow and physically he will be closer to ready. That said... Bedard won't be 18 until mid July so you could send him back to work on bulking up but that wont happen. 

Bedard on pace for: 55g, 77a, 132 points in 68 games... I mean... that's just not normal for a guy basically playing his 17yr old WHL season. 

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

That said... D+1 guys should almost always go back. It is a little different for OHL, WHL, QMJHL guys because I think those leagues can be outgrown by 18 for sure but even still most players are fine getting 1 more year in a developmental league before trying the NHL. Physically few are ready (Byfield) or if they are, the game hasn't slowed down yet for them (Jiricek). Now Bedard and Fantilli probably wouldn't need that in 2023 but everyone else does. Bedard because holy lord, just wow. Fantilli because also wow and physically he will be closer to ready. That said... Bedard won't be 18 until mid July so you could send him back to work on bulking up but that wont happen. 

Bedard on pace for: 55g, 77a, 132 points in 68 games... I mean... that's just not normal for a guy basically playing his 17yr old WHL season. 

2023 draft has a good number of big physically developed forwards, so I would be at all surprised if in addition to Bedard/Fantilli, 2-3 other forwards play in the NHL next season.

13 minutes ago, Curt said:

2023 draft has a good number of big physically developed forwards, so I would be at all surprised if in addition to Bedard/Fantilli, 2-3 other forwards play in the NHL next season.

I think it is sometimes a mistake for teams to look at physically developed as equaling developed. Dvosrky and Carlsson I would guess are the two others you are somewhat hinting at and I would tend to want both to stay overseas another year. Dvorsky I would hope gets promoted to the SHL next year. Sale I might try and get to NA and into Rochester if Buffalo managed to get him (another Czech forward like Kulich). 

Calum Ritchie is probably the last physically mature guy we could name. 

On 11/7/2022 at 1:28 AM, PerreaultForever said:

This sums it up fairly well I think.

So here’s a question I have for the barristers on here: does he have any legal recourse to sue for, shall we say, “wrongful termination” under the CBA?

1 hour ago, FogBat said:

So here’s a question I have for the barristers on here: does he have any legal recourse to sue for, shall we say, “wrongful termination” under the CBA?

Impossible to say w/o reading the document, which I don't have time for at present, but I doubt it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Impossible to say w/o reading the document, which I don't have time for at present, but I doubt it.

36 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Can't imagine that would go well for him. Bruins would get to reclaim the moral high ground as well. 

Ok, I’m going to play devil’s advocate.

Let’s say a lawyer did take his case and found whatever argument he could use to get his eligibility reinstated. Not saying that I think he should do that, but I wouldn’t put it past him or his counsel if he hired one.

45 minutes ago, FogBat said:

Ok, I’m going to play devil’s advocate.

Let’s say a lawyer did take his case and found whatever argument he could use to get his eligibility reinstated. Not saying that I think he should do that, but I wouldn’t put it past him or his counsel if he hired one.

Oh reinstatement of eligibility at the league level is a different question, too.  And again, I'd need to read it.

16 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Byfield just sent down to the minors. Remember when people wanted him in an Eichel deal? Then again, it's still too early on him, Wright, Jirichek (also sent down yesterday). None of these people have passed their expiration dates as prospects yet. Way too early. 

It’s where Krebs should be too

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

It’s where Krebs should be too

Don't know about that.  His biggest problem IMHO is that he still tries to make passes that NHLers will intercept 9 times out of 10.  He also makes passes that not many others can make that actually do get through.  Playing against AHLers won't teach him what he can & can't get away with.

His getting pushed around at times is a distant 2nd (again IMHO) in issues plaguing his game.

Playing a handful of games & then watching a couple is probably the best way to develop him.  That seems to be the plan, though no idea when he might get another chance to watch rather than do/try.

13 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Don't know about that.  His biggest problem IMHO is that he still tries to make passes that NHLers will intercept 9 times out of 10.  He also makes passes that not many others can make that actually do get through.  Playing against AHLers won't teach him what he can & can't get away with.

His getting pushed around at times is a distant 2nd (again IMHO) in issues plaguing his game.

Playing a handful of games & then watching a couple is probably the best way to develop him.  That seems to be the plan, though no idea when he might get another chance to watch rather than do/try.

I don’t believe playin 8 minutes a night with Girgensons is going to teach him anything either. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.