Around The NHL 2022-23 Regular Season

Brawndo

3 hours ago, Weave said:

He hasn’t earned it.  Time isn’t sufficient.  Redemption requires him to show empathy and real guilt.  To the best of my knowledge neither has occurred.  I’m more than willing to show someone who has expressed remorse and demonstrated changed behavior another shot.

These are just incredibly important words.  You have touched it with a needle, here.  I've no idea what is or isn't in Miller's mind, or even what he's said, but your criteria are strong and seem valid.

On 11/5/2022 at 2:40 PM, PerreaultForever said:

Well that's true, but I also remember stuff like that happening back in my high school and mostly there were no consequences for anybody. Ron Roscoe, who was briefly a Sabre for a while, was a bully in my high school. His little brother was a complete menace since he would get Ron to beat up anybody who challenged his bullying. There were many others. 

But aside from that, for me, the question comes down to age. In society, we have rules and laws that seal the records for juvenile criminals, many who have done really bad things, but the idea is they can be rehabilitated and given a new chance as an adult. Their juvenile records aren't used against them. This applies to many many people. So he's in grade 8 making him what 13, 14? Do you hold the acts of a 14 year old against him for the rest of his life? I would say no. You watch him carefully on a short leash, but you give him a chance to redeem himself. 

As I said however, I'd rather they hadn't signed him. 

What about his acts NOW? No apologies. Talented, entitled, awful history, paid, never held accountable. I like Bettman’s message, he will likely not play in NHL, and Basten, shoot, this too (unfortunately) will pass. Note, I DO NOT think accountability is ‘cancel culture’. F him & Bruins brass. Just WRONG. 

7 hours ago, Weave said:

Would you hire him?  Do you not believe in redemption?

He hasn’t earned it.  Time isn’t sufficient.  Redemption requires him to show empathy and real guilt.  To the best of my knowledge neither has occurred.  I’m more than willing to show someone who has expressed remorse and demonstrated changed behavior another shot.  But that other shot isn’t likely to be what they want.  It’ll be what they have to settle for to prove they are worthy of what they want.  This kid can prove his worthiness for redemption in a humbling environment before he’s earned redemption in my eyes.

I get your point, I do. I don't disagree with it in theory, (and it's moot now since the Bruins ditched him in a mea culpa move to appease their locker room and fans) but I still have a little bit of a problem sanctioning this kid when you and I both know we have bullies, rapists and abusers currently playing in this league and earning millions. It's just hypocritical of them. 

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I get your point, I do. I don't disagree with it in theory, (and it's moot now since the Bruins ditched him in a mea culpa move to appease their locker room and fans) but I still have a little bit of a problem sanctioning this kid when you and I both know we have bullies, rapists and abusers currently playing in this league and earning millions. It's just hypocritical of them. 

So, are you advocating the NHL let them all in, or kick them all out?

This doesn’t have to be either and not be hypocritical.  Any time is a good time for improvement, including this time.

18 hours ago, Weave said:

It’s ok to start doing the right thing.  This is a good line to draw in the sand.

Defending this dude is a weird hill to die on.

My words right now are in no way a defense.  I just wonder if the league actually has any ground to keep him out of the league like Bettman said there.  He's a lawyer so I'm sure that he knows what he's doing, but I can't help but wonder if he's opening the door to potential litigation. 

1 hour ago, shrader said:

My words right now are in no way a defense.  I just wonder if the league actually has any ground to keep him out of the league like Bettman said there.  He's a lawyer so I'm sure that he knows what he's doing, but I can't help but wonder if he's opening the door to potential litigation. 

Good point on Bettman. It is unfortunate that the kid did not get good advice to address and put the the issue behind him prior to the draft…and shame on the Bruins for thinking it has been a couple of years, let’s sign him and hope no one takes notice. 

7 hours ago, Weave said:

So, are you advocating the NHL let them all in, or kick them all out?

This doesn’t have to be either and not be hypocritical.  Any time is a good time for improvement, including this time.

My preference would be kicking them all out. For example I really want to know everyone who was in that locker room for the big cover up. I want every single one of them gone. I don't think Evander Kane should have been let back in. I think every cover up and gag order should be exposed and I think there are people who should be taken out of the hall of fame. Blackhawks didn't nearly pay a high enough price imo as another example. The list is long.

But if they aren't going to do that, I think they have no right to act all high and mighty like Bettman did in his comment. It's easy to talk tough on a kid like this. It's also empty imo. 

5 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Tkachuck got suspended 2 games for trying to blind Quick ...

4 hours ago, Ducky said:

Biggest POS in the league.

4 hours ago, Eleven said:

Now that I've looked at it again, I think it should have been more.

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Ya, that looks very deliberate and he's got a kind of smirk on his face after it too. 10 game minimum imo would have been appropriate. 

I’m not sure how many pointless discussions need to be had about a league that is so inept at player discipline, they have teams trying to sign special needs bullying sociopaths but here we are.  

I miss the days when players who did this would see unending violence until the actions finally met the consequences.  Steve Moore had to deal with Bertuzzi.  You try to take out my goalies eye, how about a slew foot and skull crushing elbow when you are on the ice retaliation.  I’m tired of the league allowing (I almost think they are promoting it).  It’s going to take someone getting permanently disfigured or dying for these idiots to figure it out.  

Until the NHL actually bothers to take any of this crap serious, I can’t waste my time contemplating how many games a Tkachuk should get for doing exactly what teams covet.  Y’all are getting played. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, inkman said:

I’m not sure how many pointless discussions need to be had about a league that is so inept at player discipline, they have teams trying to sign special needs bullying sociopaths but here we are.  

I miss the days when players who did this would see unending violence until the actions finally met the consequences.  Steve Moore had to deal with Bertuzzi.  You try to take out my goalies eye, how about a slew foot and skull crushing elbow when you are on the ice retaliation.  I’m tired of the league allowing (I almost think they are promoting it).  It’s going to take someone getting permanently disfigured or dying for these idiots to figure it out.  

Until the NHL actually bothers to take any of this crap serious, I can’t waste my time contemplating how many games a Tkachuk should get for doing exactly what teams covet.  Y’all are getting played. 

So you're saying brutal career ending violence is okay if it's retaliatory? 

5 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

So you're saying brutal career ending violence is okay if it's retaliatory? 

Clearly the league isn’t going to do anything substantive about it.  The league has shown gross indifference to the safety of its players.  I’m not going to carry their moral compass.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Eleven said:

What's going on with Shane Wright?  It's looking like the Habs dodged a bullet.

21 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Like Owen Power, he should have been sent back. 

No shame in that, lots of great players went back for another year.  Teams are pretty careful with high draft pick egos with waiting though.  Good learning experience for him for the time spent with the team.  Will see.  Get him to the WJC at least to build confidence.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Like Owen Power, he should have been sent back. 

Where could Owen Power be sent back to? It’s not like Michigan was an option once OP elected to turn pro. I suppose the AHL is an option but I’m not convinced his developmental needs are better met anywhere but the NHL at this point. 

EDIT: @LGR4GM Please disregard this post. I brain cramped but got clarification from @Thorny and @Taro T

Edited by K-9

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Where could Owen Power be sent back to? It’s not like Michigan was an option once OP elected to turn pro. I suppose the AHL is an option but I’m not convinced his developmental needs are better met anywhere but the NHL at this point. 

Think he means “sent back” like Power was last year, his first post draft year 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.