Around The NHL 2022-23 Regular Season

Brawndo

I like the Bruins as most of you know, and I kind of wish they hadn't signed this guy BUT I'm not sure I really want to live in a world where something you did in grade 8 (even a bad thing like this) ruins the rest of your life. I'm pretty sure there's a LOT of current players, and likely some star players, who did their share of bullying along the way too. Jocks are often like that, especially when young. I'm also pretty sure, given the Hockey Canada thing, we've got a few rapists playing in this league right now, so I say the guy deserves a chance to make up for what he did, but the leash should be short and he should be let go at the first sign that he's not a changed and better person. He needs to do a LOT of community service and charity work to help make up for his past. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I like the Bruins as most of you know, and I kind of wish they hadn't signed this guy BUT I'm not sure I really want to live in a world where something you did in grade 8 (even a bad thing like this) ruins the rest of your life. I'm pretty sure there's a LOT of current players, and likely some star players, who did their share of bullying along the way too. Jocks are often like that, especially when young. I'm also pretty sure, given the Hockey Canada thing, we've got a few rapists playing in this league right now, so I say the guy deserves a chance to make up for what he did, but the leash should be short and he should be let go at the first sign that he's not a changed and better person. He needs to do a LOT of community service and charity work to help make up for his past. 

In most cases I would agree; but much of what he did was not just typical bullying but rather cruel and unusual torture to a person with a disability. His apology was merely a statement made to clean up his past of wrong doing and nothing more. Bullies pick on nerds; not people with special needs. You have to be unusually twisted to do that. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

In most cases I would agree; but much of what he did was not just typical bullying but rather cruel and unusual torture to a person with a disability. His apology was merely a statement made to clean up his past of wrong doing and nothing more. Bullies pick on nerds; not people with special needs. You have to be unusually twisted to do that. 

What he is accused of doing shows a pretty clear lack of any empathy.  That isn’t normal bully stuff.  That is sociopath stuff.  I don’t think you grow out of it and become a better person. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

4 hours ago, Weave said:

What he is accused of doing shows a pretty clear lack of any empathy.  That isn’t normal bully stuff.  That is sociopath stuff.  I don’t think you grow out of it and become a better person. 

Would agree that the majority don't but surely some do.  Should a person's entire life be defined by what they did at 12 or 13?

Keep him on a short leash and make sure he realizes he burned through pretty much all his mulligans w/ that one act so he will not get the benefit of the doubt in any future action remotely sociopathic.  

That said, glad he isn't the Sabres issue.

7 hours ago, Weave said:

Agreed. At the same time we all need to give him a chance to prove that he has indeed grown and is a MUCH better person. As stated above, there has to be a short leash with clear boundaries established. A shock collar set a max would be a good idea too. 

Edited by irregularly irregular
fixing my bad grammar

12 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Well that's true, but I also remember stuff like that happening back in my high school and mostly there were no consequences for anybody. Ron Roscoe, who was briefly a Sabre for a while, was a bully in my high school. His little brother was a complete menace since he would get Ron to beat up anybody who challenged his bullying. There were many others. 

But aside from that, for me, the question comes down to age. In society, we have rules and laws that seal the records for juvenile criminals, many who have done really bad things, but the idea is they can be rehabilitated and given a new chance as an adult. Their juvenile records aren't used against them. This applies to many many people. So he's in grade 8 making him what 13, 14? Do you hold the acts of a 14 year old against him for the rest of his life? I would say no. You watch him carefully on a short leash, but you give him a chance to redeem himself. 

As I said however, I'd rather they hadn't signed him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

1 hour ago, Porous Five Hole said:

For the people who are for giving the young man a second chance, would your opinion change if you read this?

He couldn’t even dignify Isaiah by saying his name in his explanation of his behavior. 

D1D188B2-BADE-4F58-9C26-AD8A6AB22BCB.jpeg

He makes it sound like it’s such an inconvenience to reach out to them and he’ll do it when he absolutely needs (not wants) to check that box. I also don’t like how he says “when we were 14”. To me, that sounds like a veiled excuse for his behavior. He could’ve left that out. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, irregularly irregular said:

Agreed. At the same time we all need to give him a chance to prove that he has indeed grown and is a MUCH better person. As stated above, there has to be a short leash with clear boundaries established. A shock collar set a max would be a good idea too. 

No we don't. To hell with him. Forever.

16 hours ago, irregularly irregular said:

The ***** we do. 

• Agree 1

Not being in the National Hockey League is not having their life defined by something when they were 12. There’s an infinite number of other things he can do with his life either living as a perpetual dirtbag or a changed person. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SDS said:

Not being in the National Hockey League is not having their life defined by something when they were 12. There’s an infinite number of other things he can do with his life either living as a perpetual dirtbag or a changed person. 

But when did the NHL become the bastion of morality and good behavior?  There's abusers and rapists and I'm sure a ton of former bullies all playing in the league right now. But yes, let's not look at any of them, let's show how good we are by punishing the kid in an exercise that doesn't cost us anything. It's hypocritical and easy for them. 

Is there an NHL rule/bylaw that says if you are shown to have bullied someone in your past you do not get to play NHL hockey? There isn't. But if there was, I guarantee you there'd be some big holes opening up on numerous rosters. 

Edited by PerreaultForever

23 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

But when did the NHL become the bastion of morality and good behavior?  There's abusers and rapists and I'm sure a ton of former bullies all playing in the league right now. But yes, let's not look at any of them, let's show how good we are by punishing the kid in an exercise that doesn't cost us anything. It's hypocritical and easy for them. 

Is there an NHL rule/bylaw that says if you are shown to have bullied someone in your past you do not get to play NHL hockey? There isn't. But if there was, I guarantee you there'd be some big holes opening up on numerous rosters. 

It’s ok to start doing the right thing.  This is a good line to draw in the sand.

Defending this dude is a weird hill to die on.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Weave said:

It’s ok to start doing the right thing.  This is a good line to draw in the sand.

Defending this dude is a weird hill to die on.

Well ya, I certainly don't want to die on that hill and definitely wish they hadn't signed him, but one question:

No belief in redemption at all? We don't allow that? 

1 hour ago, Sabel79 said:

Nothing about anything we've heard in this case indicates that redemption is something this kid has earned or is even working toward.  

In fairness to @PerreaultForever, when he 1st started talking about this kid, all we had in this thread was the incident he was convicted of.  Which, while heinous, was something done by a kid very early in his teen years.  We do still believe in second chances and that people, especially young ones, can be redeemed.

That the behavior was indicative of a multi year bullying campaign of the other child wasn't presented in this thread at that time.

Still hope the bully can be redeemed, but the little bit we've seen does indicate that may be beyond him at least at this stage in his life and maybe it always will be.  It appears that he is not taking responsibility for his actions and he also appears to still be extremely immature.  

Whether he's trying to make amends or not, glad he's the Bruins problem and not the Sabres one.

2 hours ago, Sabel79 said:

Nothing about anything we've heard in this case indicates that redemption is something this kid has earned or is even working toward.  

well idk what he's currently doing OR what the Bruins will have him do. Obviously, as I said at the outset he has to do a LOT of community service and charity work and so forth to earn his redemption so I will simply keep an open mind on that possibility. 

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well ya, I certainly don't want to die on that hill and definitely wish they hadn't signed him, but one question:

No belief in redemption at all? We don't allow that? 

Would you hire him?  Do you not believe in redemption?

He hasn’t earned it.  Time isn’t sufficient.  Redemption requires him to show empathy and real guilt.  To the best of my knowledge neither has occurred.  I’m more than willing to show someone who has expressed remorse and demonstrated changed behavior another shot.  But that other shot isn’t likely to be what they want.  It’ll be what they have to settle for to prove they are worthy of what they want.  This kid can prove his worthiness for redemption in a humbling environment before he’s earned redemption in my eyes.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Would you hire him?  Do you not believe in redemption?

He hasn’t earned it.  Time isn’t sufficient.  Redemption requires him to show empathy and real guilt.  To the best of my knowledge neither has occurred.  I’m more than willing to show someone who has expressed remorse and demonstrated changed behavior another shot.  But that other shot isn’t likely to be what they want.  It’ll be what they have to settle for to prove they are worthy of what they want.  This kid can prove his worthiness for redemption in a humbling environment before he’s earned redemption in my eyes.

Bingo

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.