Around The NHL 2022-23 Regular Season

Brawndo

Detroit, Toronto, and Sharks I feel like failed the assignment. 

Florida's I would never wear but it is a lot of fun. 

Washington, Anaheim, and the Islanders get special props for really nice jerseys. 

Go home Vegas you're drunk. 

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Detroit, Toronto, and Sharks I feel like failed the assignment. 

Florida's I would never wear but it is a lot of fun. 

Washington, Anaheim, and the Islanders get special props for really nice jerseys. 

Go home Vegas you're drunk. 

That group with the Preds, Blues and Coyotes is an absolute dumpster 🔥 

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Doesn't need a thread but it's still cool

IIRC, back in the early 70's when the NHL was on national TV in the US (back w/ Peter Puck in the intermissions) they also had a Showdown style segment, except again IIRC it was breakaways & not just rapid fire.  Pretty much the same thing theyend tied OT with in the RS nowadays. 

• Like (+1) 1

So I’m watching the Devils and Islanders game and breaking down positioning with my seven year old son trying to explain backchecking and forechecking.

I asked him if he thought a team is likely to win when they have zero shots and the other team has fifteen (which were the shot totals at that point for the Islanders and Devils respectively). He responded with “No, but I know the Islanders are doing their best. I hope they are having fun because they aren’t going to win.”

Brutal.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, RochesterExpat said:

So I’m watching the Devils and Islanders game and breaking down positioning with my seven year old son trying to explain backchecking and forechecking.

I asked him if he thought a team is likely to win when they have zero shots and the other team has fifteen (which were the shot totals at that point for the Islanders and Devils respectively). He responded with “No, but I know the Islanders are doing their best. I hope they are having fun because they aren’t going to win.”

Brutal.

It is a game….

Kids.

11 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Someone somewhere mentioned cal Petersen the other day

He is an amazing statistical case.  5th year in the league now.  2 of those years he played nearly half the NHL games for the Kings.  And yes, it is early this year, but every single year, without fail so far, his numbers have gotten worse.  Both GAA and Save percentage were the best his first year and both have gone down every year, year after year.

18 hours ago, Norcal said:

Doesn't need a thread but it's still cool

Edwards would get laughed out of the arena by goalie scouts today. Not 6’5 doesn’t play butterfly hybrid style.

It was a different time and Edwards was a heck of a goalie back then.

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Why do you hate earth tones?

They look horrible. 

• Haha (+1) 1

WAtching the Stars play, I love Haakanpa’s game. 6’6 RHD that makes a ton of smart defensive plays. He would be a great partner for Power even though he is 30. Dallas won’t want to move him but I think the NHL is coming around to the importance of the Haakanpas and Booshs of the world and not just focusing on puck moving dmen.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Edwards would get laughed out of the arena by goalie scouts today. Not 6’5 doesn’t play butterfly hybrid style.

It was a different time and Edwards was a heck of a goalie back then.

They look horrible. 

Today's goalies would have hit their knees on most of those shots.

Edwards just stood tall lol

59 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

WAtching the Stars play, I love Haakanpa’s game. 6’6 RHD that makes a ton of smart defensive plays. He would be a great partner for Power even though he is 30. Dallas won’t want to move him but I think the NHL is coming around to the importance of the Haakanpas and Booshs of the world and not just focusing on puck moving dmen.

Neither guy survives in the league if they aren't competent at moving the puck. 

44 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Neither guy survives in the league if they aren't competent at moving the puck. 

Competent yes but it doesn’t define them. Every dman drafted these days is “a puck moving dman”. Guys like Tanev  and Weegar that excel at the defensive end either don’t get drafted or are late picks because they are deemed not elite puck movers.

The teams that win need the strong defensive presence but no one wants to focus on it in the draft.

2 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Competent yes but it doesn’t define them. Every dman drafted these days is “a puck moving dman”. Guys like Tanev  and Weegar that excel at the defensive end either don’t get drafted or are late picks because they are deemed not elite puck movers.

The teams that win need the strong defensive presence but no one wants to focus on it in the draft.

I mean... the most recent cup winner won because of their all star puck mover. I think it is easier to find the stay at home types than the skilled movers but you need some of both. It is why Muel and Boosh are both useful to the Sabres. 

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I mean... the most recent cup winner won because of their all star puck mover. I think it is easier to find the stay at home types than the skilled movers but you need some of both. It is why Muel and Boosh are both useful to the Sabres. 

You are right. I think it has just become my pet peeve following the draft closely for so long that all they ever focus on with every dman is “puck moving” like it is the only tool they need for the position. Lazy analysis more then anything.

6 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

He is an amazing statistical case.  5th year in the league now.  2 of those years he played nearly half the NHL games for the Kings.  And yes, it is early this year, but every single year, without fail so far, his numbers have gotten worse.  Both GAA and Save percentage were the best his first year and both have gone down every year, year after year.

But outside of last year, the team as a whole was trending in that downward direction too.  I'm not so sure it's much of an oddity.

On 8/16/2020 at 9:35 PM, dudacek said:

Sorry for sidestepping the current debate, but Holtz is a safer pick than Lundell. 

He will score goals in the NHL. The question is will he be a 25/20 man or a 40/70.

Well, Lundell in his rookie season (and in 65 games, no less) has already safely arrived at the ~45 point landing spot.

Sorry, the Lundell talk on the Marek pod we listened to stirred this up lol

- - - 

I had Rossi 1 and Lundell 2, to be fair, so I can't completely pump my own tires here 

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.