Around The NHL 2022-23 Regular Season

Brawndo

1 hour ago, Porous Five Hole said:

This is absolutely wild.
The league is a three billion dollar revenue entity & Ian Cole means nothing to the league. There’s no risk in telling the guy to go pound sand. So for them to conclusively determine the allegations were meritless is a good reminder to me to presume innocence when possible. 

I always thought he was innocent until proven guilty. Some people are wired to think/hope/assume the exact opposite. 
If more info comes out, I hope it gets revisited and investigated appropriately.

4 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

This is absolutely wild.
The league is a three billion dollar revenue entity & Ian Cole means nothing to the league. There’s no risk in telling the guy to go pound sand. So for them to conclusively determine the allegations were meritless is a good reminder to me to presume innocence when possible. 

I don't know that it conclusively proves anything yet given that their reason for closing the investigation was the lack of a response. How did they reach out? Presumably through the original Twitter account which was likely swarmed after the original tweet and possibly abandoned entirely. 

Also, if you are planning a large lawsuit against Ian Cole, meeting with his representatives and essentially laying out your case outside of a courtroom is counterproductive.  Maybe that ultimately happens. Maybe it doesn't. It's just a little soon to declare this dead and buried.

Edited by Contempt
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Brawndo said:

The Kings have a surplus of RHD and are rumored to be looking for a scoring forward. This where the Sabres Surplus of Forwards can come in handy

But you said the Kings are looking for a scoring forward...

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Looks like Vegas is buying in to Cassidy. They are playing a solid shut down (Bruins style) game and I saw Eichel even back check on a play so that was something new. The early speculation of that move not being a good fit might have to be tossed out the window. 

They are finally all healthy which helps. We shall see how the goaltending holds up.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/15/2022 at 11:31 AM, Digger said:

Can't they check if their current Zamboni driver can play goal (thought it was in the job description)?  Not the first time for the Leafs to have to go that route.

David Ayers was the Leafs Zamboni driver that was called in to play for the Canes in Toronto, and won the game. I suppose he's technically played a professional game, if they bring him in would it count against the roster limit?

On 10/15/2022 at 12:07 PM, Huckleberry said:

Looks amateur from their front office.   Bit unlucky but 2 goalies being hurt at once is something we know all about 🙂

I'm not sure about amateur, it is way more Icarus-like to me.

48 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

Skinner has been the better goalie so far, Campbell on Saturday allowed 4 goals on 11 shots, after which he was pulled and Skinner was 31/31 for saves.

Imagine if Buffalo signed a goalie to a 5 yr $5M contract, then he allowed 4 goals on 11 shots before being pulled in the 2nd game of the season.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Curt said:

Imagine if Buffalo signed a goalie to a 5 yr $5M contract, then he allowed 4 goals on 11 shots before being pulled in the 2nd game of the season.

It would be like signing a forward to a huge contract and having them not score in the first two games?

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, sabresparaavida said:

Skinner has been the better goalie so far, Campbell on Saturday allowed 4 goals on 11 shots, after which he was pulled and Skinner was 31/31 for saves.

That was a poor attempt at humor on My Part.

I imagine regardless of the outcome on Saturday, Skinner would have gotten the start Tomorrow 

47 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

For those predicting a Bruins collapse:  they are handling Florida nicely tonight, up 4-2 in the 3rd (without 2 of their best players in Marchand and McAvoy, who are out with injuries for a couple of months).  

Well, sure.  After the Sabres softened them up.  It's like a glass jar's lid.  The 1st one to try to open it just gets it loose; & the next 1 to come along actually gets it open.  😉

Durn B's got lucky to get 'em after the Sabres. 😉

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Leafs lose to Arizona.

They no showed for 50 minutes, scored 2 in 24 seconds to tie it up, give up a PP goal with 90 seconds left, tie it up again only for it to be overturned on an absolutely awful hand pass call.

What was wrong with the call?  Reilly tried glove it to himself but never played the puck, so after touched by another Leaf player, how is it not a pass? 

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

What was wrong with the call?  Reilly tried glove it to himself but never played the puck, so after touched by another Leaf player, how is it not a pass? 

Yeah, the twitterverse (including Buffalo sports writers) make it sound like TO was robbed.  No, not robbed.  The goal was disallowed because there should have been a stoppage of play before the goal.  That's not screwing TO, it's getting the call right.

I think some of these Buffalo sports guys are getting too cozy with the Blue Jays and it's bleeding over to hockey.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

For those predicting a Bruins collapse:  they are handling Florida nicely tonight, up 4-2 in the 3rd (without 2 of their best players in Marchand and McAvoy, who are out with injuries for a couple of months).  

McAvoy, Gryzlyk and tonight Carlo all out, that's half their starting D. Ullmark absolutely robbed Reinhart on a break which was an odd thing to watch. 

I'm not sure what the deal was with Florida, I'm guessing it was salary cap related, but they only dressed 5 D and then Ekblad went down leaving them with 4 D for the second half of the game. They miss Weeger big time.  

It was however, a good hockey game to watch. 

The Bruins demise was my only hope to Buffalo even having the slightest chance at a Wild Card shot this year. How in the world do they keep doing it? Looking at the top 8 in the east after only 3 games, I see Philly and Detroit dropping out, Tampa and Toronto jumping into the mix. Washington and Pitt might be the only prayer for Buff to hover around the 8 spot if they drop out of top 8. How good will those teams still be is the question...

32 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

The Bruins demise was my only hope to Buffalo even having the slightest chance at a Wild Card shot this year. How in the world do they keep doing it? Looking at the top 8 in the east after only 3 games, I see Philly and Detroit dropping out, Tampa and Toronto jumping into the mix. Washington and Pitt might be the only prayer for Buff to hover around the 8 spot if they drop out of top 8. How good will those teams still be is the question...

PIttsburgh and Boston are still good.

Washington appears to be the most vulnerable team from last year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I saw this on the highlights today and thought it was worth posting.  Detroit's Larkin prevents the empty net goal (5:55 on the video) and they go on to tie the game and force overtime.  Would have been the perfect story if they had won.  Just goes to show that you should always score the empty net goal as quickly as possible.

Also noted that Husso did not look that great on a couple of the goals.

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

PIttsburgh and Boston are still good.

Washington appears to be the most vulnerable team from last year.

Boston and Pittsburgh look better than last year. 

Agree on Washington and Kuemper doesn't look like much so far. They miss Wilson more than people think. 

Don't count the Leafs in yet. With their goaltending issues all it would take is one or two of the big guns going down for them to fall apart. 

Carolina looks like the cream of the crop. 

3 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

The Bruins demise was my only hope to Buffalo even having the slightest chance at a Wild Card shot this year. How in the world do they keep doing it? 

The team culture is arguably the best in the league. 

Krejci back and DeBrusk happy, both hated Cassidy. Ullmark looking the best he ever has. Rumour has it Bob Essensa is a very good goaltending coach. Montgomery has them playing a style more conducive to the current league and thus several players have elevated their game. Bottom 6 is contributing more. If Marchand and McAvoy come back 100% they will be a true contender.  

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.