GDT Preseason: Sabres @ Penguins 10/7/2022, 7pm, MSG (Pens Broadcast), WGR

LGR4GM

What a god-awful performance… to take into the season opener, no less…

Think Adams and Granato made a mistake using the final preseason game to sit their top defensive pairs…

Cromie had no support from the moment the puck dropped… and the Pens were buzzin’… Air went out of the forward lines after the 3-0 first period played mostly in their own zone… Not even Vinnie’s short-handed goal could wake them up…

Fact is, Cromie has played two bad games… The last goal showed a slow glove hand… 

Nothing positive tonight… Will be interested in Granato’s take… 

Ever Upward, ever Onward…

15 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I wonder what DG learned about the team tonight? 

That the D depth in the organization still isn’t good enough. He also learned that if Bryson and Lyubushkin have to play more than 12 minutes a night we are in trouble.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

That the D depth in the organization still isn’t good enough. 

Why are you freaking out over a meaningless preseason game when our full complement of players didn't play? I'm sure you will have plenty of opportunities to be genuinely agitated when the season starts. However, this game shouldn't be a reason to get you uplifted or dejected. It means absolutely nothing. 

• Like (+1) 4

I dislike what I saw. While Comrie didn't get much help, he also didn't do much to help. 

Bryson impo should be below Pilut. I think we're a defenseman short still. 

Our margin of error is small. The lesson to learn here is that good isn't good enough.

Well.............................................

Finally got to see a whole preseason game and kind of wish I didn't. This was pure trash. Yes, the excuse merchants will say they had their stars and we had scrubs well boo hoo, I'm tired of excuse hockey. This was embarrassing top to bottom. 

Bjork is a scrub. Waive him asap. 

After  Vinnie tossed that puck behind his net thinking idk what I had him on the scrub list but then he scored a nice short handed goal so I guess he's a wash on that. 

Comrie. So the stats people keep telling me I'm supposed to be excited by this AHL level goalie. Well he was absolute rubbish. Yes, the D hung him out to dry on several plays but he only made 1 maybe 2 hard saves on the night and didn't rob a single Pen. Tokarski was better and that isn't saying much. 

Mitts was nothing. Krebs was nothing. 

Quinn. I was supposed to be excited about Quinn. Why? The early pass from Tuch drive to the net was decent but the rest of the game he did little to impress me. 

Peterka. I was told he's got snarl to his game. Didn't bring it that's for sure. Struggled all night. He is NOT NHL ready. 

Bryson is a piece of crap. If he's in the bottom pairing forget it. 

Lybushkin. Well he showed me next to nothing. Not impressed at all. 

No comment on the D scrubs. Not worth the time. not a single D man out there was impressive in any way. 

Cozens was the best Sabre (not saying much) but most of the time he was playing alone and got next to no support from his linemates. 

The good news, I guess when we draft Bedard we will have too many good young forwards and can trade one for a goalie. 

Damn that was horrible. 

(yes, I know, just preseason means nothing, but it was my first chance to see it for myself and it really really really disappointed)

57 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It wasn’t the number of shots, it’s the quality shots that killed tonight.  For example the first 2 goals tonight were defensive breakdowns and he was hung out to dry.  No one would have stopped those.  Hard to know if Comrie isn’t up to the task if he doesn’t get to play behind real NHL D.  

I hope that's the case.  The numbers so far don't look so good.

2 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Was that the only exhibition loss?

No, the other game Comrie played, in Columbus, was a loss.

18 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I dislike what I saw. While Comrie didn't get much help, he also didn't do much to help. 

Bryson impo should be below Pilut. I think we're a defenseman short still. 

Our margin of error is small. The lesson to learn here is that good isn't good enough.

Yeah I saw that from frist game, Pilut is better.

They did give comrie 2 games with the worst D so far.

• Like (+1) 1

Preseason is always about being happy to win and taking lessons from losing. The big lesson here is that is we lose our #1 centre and top 4 D for an extended period we are in trouble. 😀

Losing this game 7-1 is as meaningful to how the coming season will go as is our winning the prospect tourney or our starting the preseason 4-1. That is, it isn’t meaningful. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

How does that help build a goalie’s confidence in his new organization?  

Maybe KA thought it better to build confidence in another goalie within the organization.  Comrie is also the UFA/new guy.  Message could have been ‘show me something’.  The bar of expectations was extremely low based on the pairings.  Do you think he cleared it?

2 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

It's a 6-1 cakewalk preseason game. It's boring from their POV. They're just praying no one gets hurt.

Every one of these AHL defensemen is <6' and 185#. They're going to have to possess the puck better and make very quick and decisive passes to break the forecheck even in Rochester this year. Because otherwise they're going to get hunted down and destroyed. All the size on defense on this roster is in the top 4.

Wherethemapturnsblue GIF by SORD Fishing Products

59 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

Maybe KA thought it better to build confidence in another goalie within the organization.  Comrie is also the UFA/new guy.  Message could have been ‘show me something’.  The bar of expectations was extremely low based on the pairings.  Do you think he cleared it?

Why sign him at all if you were going to put  him into a position to fail?  UPL and Anderson have experience playing behind our top D and Comrie still doesn’t.  IMHO it would have been better for the team, Comrie and the fans to see how Comrie did with the guys he was signed to play behind.  Having face 30 point blank shot for 60 minutes from Crosby and Co. is no way to build confidence in the new guy.  It was simply a stupid decision and could end up really costing us this season.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

• SDS unpinned this topic
9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well.............................................

Finally got to see a whole preseason game and kind of wish I didn't. This was pure trash. Yes, the excuse merchants will say they had their stars and we had scrubs well boo hoo, I'm tired of excuse hockey. This was embarrassing top to bottom. 

Bjork is a scrub. Waive him asap. 

After  Vinnie tossed that puck behind his net thinking idk what I had him on the scrub list but then he scored a nice short handed goal so I guess he's a wash on that. 

Comrie. So the stats people keep telling me I'm supposed to be excited by this AHL level goalie. Well he was absolute rubbish. Yes, the D hung him out to dry on several plays but he only made 1 maybe 2 hard saves on the night and didn't rob a single Pen. Tokarski was better and that isn't saying much. 

Mitts was nothing. Krebs was nothing. 

Quinn. I was supposed to be excited about Quinn. Why? The early pass from Tuch drive to the net was decent but the rest of the game he did little to impress me. 

Peterka. I was told he's got snarl to his game. Didn't bring it that's for sure. Struggled all night. He is NOT NHL ready. 

Bryson is a piece of crap. If he's in the bottom pairing forget it. 

Lybushkin. Well he showed me next to nothing. Not impressed at all. 

No comment on the D scrubs. Not worth the time. not a single D man out there was impressive in any way. 

Cozens was the best Sabre (not saying much) but most of the time he was playing alone and got next to no support from his linemates. 

The good news, I guess when we draft Bedard we will have too many good young forwards and can trade one for a goalie. 

Damn that was horrible. 

(yes, I know, just preseason means nothing, but it was my first chance to see it for myself and it really really really disappointed)

Lol the ending here is very over dramatic

Edited by LGR4GM

7 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

The bar of expectations was extremely low based on the pairings.  Do you think he cleared it?

Nope… I don’t… but I’m a Sabres fan… and my opinion doesn’t matter… Granato said he was unconcerned with Comrie’s preseason performances… Granato is the coach… His opinion matters… Up to Comrie to show something now… 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

So I guess we are going in to the regular season still not having the slightest clue if we have a starting goaltender?

I guess this where I come in and defend a 6-goal performance. Comrie didn't get beat on any shots he should have stopped. This game was a tip drill for Sidney. I'm more concerned at defenders like Bryson and Lybushkin getting turned inside out.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.