GDT Preseason: Sabres @ Penguins 10/7/2022, 7pm, MSG (Pens Broadcast), WGR

LGR4GM

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:
31 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I really don’t understand how DG has utilized Comrie this preseason.  Should the new guy get some game experience with the defenders he'll be playing behind? Why throw him to the wolves in both preseason appearances?  

Not even sure what this means?

Each of the prospective goalies got 2 starts in reverse order of how we rate them in games that are designed to get them ready for the coming season.

Why would you possibly worry about your 'best' goalie – a player who is both young, and healthy - playing behind the type of lineup he's playing behind tonight?

Isn't it a pretty typical preseason lineup, the likes of which most goalies have to play behind in pre-season?

Don't you want him to be tested?

He actually wants to win preseason games as if they matter.

9 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

He actually wants to win preseason games as if they matter.

I actually wanted Comrie in with most of the main defencemen to work on their communication under game conditions.

Edited by Marvin
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

I actually wanted Comrie in with most of the main defencemen to work on their communication under game conditions.

Exactly.

The first time Comrie will play in game conditions behind the NHL D men will be during the regular season. How does this makes sense? It’s not about winning a preseason game.  It’s not about being tested. It’s about preparing a guy new to the organization with the guys he’s actually going to play with. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Exactly.

The first time Comrie will play in game conditions behind the NHL D men will be during the regular season. How does this makes sense? It’s not about winning a preseason game.  It’s not about being tested. It’s about preparing a guy new to the organization with the guys he’s actually going to play with. 

Perhaps an instance of them slightly prioritizing Comrie’s journey to becoming a starter over the likelihood of the Buffalo Sabres winning game 1.

Maybe saw a little of that w/that recent UPL quote as well, when Adams said the main thing they need from him this year is to “play games”. Seem to sort of be viewing the expectation through the prism of UPL’s development more than through the prism of what UPL could do to help his team win, specifically. 

Just a thought. 

Edited by Thorny

If they felt Comrie needed a pre-season game with real defenders in front of him they would have given him that chance. To me his pre-season usage suggests they're comfortable with what they've seen from him in practices. 

Also, it's the preseason, don't read too much into anything. We're 6 days away from opening night and we'll get plenty of looks with him then.

Comrie will be fine.

• Like (+1) 1

So.  Gonna miss a good part of this one.  The wife requested the honor of my presence at dinner tonight; reservations are for the same time as game start.

MUST WIN.  GO SABRES.

I'll check in when we get home.

2 hours ago, ddaryl said:

For me I just want to see how solid Comrie looks with something close to the regular season roster in front of him.

We'll see that Thursday.  Or maybe Saturday.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, inkman said:

Am I the only one who severely dislikes Krebs on the wing?  His skill set screams puck distributor but Meatballs hit the jackpot with Tage, I’m sure he knows what he’s doing.  

I thought you started wacky weed again.  Take another hit and embrace the mellow.

I like Granato as much as anyone but I don’t understand icing this craptastic lineup against the Pens regular lineup.  What’s the point?  

1 minute ago, bob_sauve28 said:

They gotta get those turnovers squeezed out 

Pens announcers are good. They even know our players names and facts about them 

Please don’t judge this game as anything other than daddy dunking on his kids.  This isn’t relevant to anything. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.