OT - The Carlsen-Niemann Feud

FogBat

26 minutes ago, FogBat said:

For all of you chess aficionados, you may have already heard about the cheating scandal where Magnus Carlsen accused Hans Niemann of cheating during an OTB match.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/chess-cheating-hans-niemann-report-magnus-carlsen-11664911524

What makes it more suspicious is that Hans' lead trainer, Maxim Dlugy, is a known cheater.

35 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Does Calsen not think he can be defeated fairly?

Apparently not by Niemann.

I should have mentioned that Niemann confessed to some cheating before.  Players are suspicious of him.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Neimann cheated on chess.com where it’s easy to cheat if you use a chess engine (computer program) to determine the ideal move.  The website now says he has cheated 100 times on the site.  The real issue is how do you cheat during a live face to face match?  In live matches you can’t bring or wear any technology.  Did someone in the audience some how give hand signals? Did he stash a laptop in the bathroom?  I have seen any reports of either being the case.  So if Neimann cheated how did he do it?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

I should have mentioned that Niemann confessed to some cheating before.  Players are suspicious of him.

Yeah, he maintains that while he has cheated in online games, he never has cheated in over-the-board play.  

It's an interesting story to follow.

On 10/7/2022 at 12:26 PM, PASabreFan said:

Does Calsen not think he can be defeated fairly?

23 hours ago, Marvin said:

Pretty sure it's not that he lost to Niemann, it's that someone beat him in a highly improbable way while playing blacks.  

Edited by #freejame
*grammar
  • Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Neimann cheated on chess.com where it’s easy to cheat if you use a chess engine (computer program) to determine the ideal move.  The website now says he has cheated 100 times on the site.  The real issue is how do you cheat during a live face to face match?  In live matches you can’t bring or wear any technology.  Did someone in the audience some how give hand signals? Did he stash a laptop in the bathroom?  I have seen any reports of either being the case.  So if Neimann cheated how did he do it?

Wasn't it remote controlled vibrating anal beads?

Edit: ok that's ridiculous to read. But I swear to God, that's what I heard. From stand-up comic Jim Norton, no less.

Edited by ubkev
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

From what I read, one of the ways is to have either a computer or an accomplice feeding to a buzzer attached to the body somewhere(leg, shoe, um....other places). It can't really tell them exactly what move to play, but it can inform them "hey, look at the board, there's a good play here you might not be thinking of" or something like that. So you still need to be a very good player to even hang with the best of the best, but it could certainly give you an edge.

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, sabills said:

From what I read, one of the ways is to have either a computer or an accomplice feeding to a buzzer attached to the body somewhere(leg, shoe, um....other places). It can't really tell them exactly what move to play, but it can inform them "hey, look at the board, there's a good play here you might not be thinking of" or something like that. So you still need to be a very good player to even hang with the best of the best, but it could certainly give you an edge.

GMs have been saying that is all they would need: at a crucial point or 2, where the evaluation suddenly rises, they would know to look deeply at "computer moves" to find the key move.  It is why transmissions of the games to the outside world are delayed 15 minutes.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, sabills said:

It was interesting that @Marvin brought up Maxim Dlugy earlier in this thread. He had called out a player in a tournament a number of years ago for using a cheating device in his shoes. Then he was caught cheating a few years later.

Whatever the case may be, cheaters are like identity thieves: they can and will come up with deft ways to get what they want, regardless if they ruin their own reputation.

On 10/7/2022 at 10:29 PM, sabills said:

Being a grid, it wouldn't even be hard to use Morse Code to specify a particular move.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.