GDT: Carolina at Buffalo 10/4/22 7pm. MSG, WGR

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, Ctaeth said:

Hoping Peterka shows out today.  I'm not sure if he will end up in Rochester or Buffalo to start the season, but it would be nice to see him have a standout day and force the coaching staff to keep him on the Sabres

For the geriatrics (me included) on the forum:

Show out is defined as to attend or be visible. An example of to show out is to attend a specific party when you have several options, you show out for the party. An example of to show out is for a sports player to do something that gets a lot of attention, such as a very high score, he does a show out.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, inkman said:

Show out is defined as to attend or be visible. An example of to show out is to attend a specific party when you have several options, you show out for the party. An example of to show out is for a sports player to do something that gets a lot of attention, such as a very high score, he does a show out.

My most sincere apologies, sir.  I did not intend to confuse!  😆

edit:  I will say that context could've helped in this case, haha.  "it would be nice to see him have a standout day"

Edited by Ctaeth
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

They are putting Cozens with 2 rookies, which is interesting, although they will probably get more favorable matchups than Mitts' line.  That Cozens line doesn't look like the kind of line they'd match up against, say, Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak.

I don’t like it.  When the opposition has the last change they will take advantage of this.

Granted, I’m not sure spreading the youth around more creates a more balanced lineup.  I guess there will be some cringe-y moments from this line in our away games.

2 minutes ago, inkman said:

Whatever, boomer.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Weave said:

I don’t like it.  When the opposition has the last change they will take advantage of this.

Granted, I’m not sure spreading the youth around more creates a more balanced lineup.  I guess there will be some cringe-y moments from this line in our away games.

Whatever, boomer.

Expect that either the lines will be juggled a bit on the road or that line will become the clear 4th line with Cozens getting his ice time upped via PK & 2PP & sliding up into the top 9 late in periods, likely taking Quinn's spot in those instances.

11 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Expect that either the lines will be juggled a bit on the road or that line will become the clear 4th line with Cozens getting his ice time upped via PK & 2PP & sliding up into the top 9 late in periods, likely taking Quinn's spot in those instances.

And on the road you might be able to put out your best against the sabres 3rd line but that means your best aren't out against Skinner - Tage- Olofsson OR Quinn - Mitts - Tuch

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

And on the road you might be able to put out your best against the sabres 3rd line but that means your best aren't out against Skinner - Tage- Olofsson OR Quinn - Mitts - Tuch

Exactly.  There's a reason the B's rarely send out Bergeron's line against the other team's 4th line.  Yes, they could absolutely dominate that, but when they usually outplay &/or dominate their opponent's best line, why waste them there unless it's at the right moment.

36 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

They are putting Cozens with 2 rookies, which is interesting, although they will probably get more favorable matchups than Mitts' line.  That Cozens line doesn't look like the kind of line they'd match up against, say, Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak.

Nope, not any more than they would have wanted Bjork Hayden and Eakin out there against them or Cozens Krebs Hinostroza, or The Leafs would want Kerfoot Kampf and Engvall.

Hell, how many teams have any line they would want to match against Bergeron?

35 minutes ago, Ctaeth said:

Hoping Peterka shows out today.  I'm not sure if he will end up in Rochester or Buffalo to start the season, but it would be nice to see him have a standout day and force the coaching staff to keep him on the Sabres

I think Peterka earned his roster spot last year in Rochester. It would take an extraordinary combination of unexpectedly good play by Bjork and Sheahan and both bad play and bad attitude from Peterka over all of September for him not to make the final 23.

He’s made the team.

30 minutes ago, Weave said:

I think that ignores what the other Buffalo lines will be doing with their matchups.

I would imagine the Bergeron line gets the Tage line in Boston and the Girgensons line in Buffalo. Those lines should be able to insulate the Cozens line most of the time.

Not sure why we would think the Cozens line is more vulnerable than any other bottom 6 line on any other team. Anything they give up in their own zone, they should make up on offence. And their speed should give some lines and D-pairs trouble.

Edited by dudacek
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

It's also on NHL Network:

image.thumb.png.6a8052c55fa5f2d7f9b79e2c1373b1f0.png

(note:  Central Time shown)

It's pre-freakin' season.  Don' worry about it.

That's great. But NHLN isn't on YouTubeTV.  I decided to go see the Red Sox tonight anyway.  No better time to go when the Sox are dead last, eliminated from the playoffs and tickets are $7.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

40 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I would imagine the Bergeron line gets the Tage line in Boston and the Girgensons line in Buffalo. Those lines should be able to insulate the Cozens line most of the time.

Learning moment for me here..?

Why are the lines different in matchups depending who’s at home and who’s on the road? 

Perhaps I’m of the minority opinion, but I’m looking forward to the Cozens line going up against the opponents’ best. That’s a very fast line with two good, responsible D forwards in Cozens and Krebs. And I love how Cozens demanded and was given top D assignments vs other teams last year. We might be selling these guys a bit short here. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, elijah said:

Why are the lines different in matchups depending who’s at home and who’s on the road? 

6 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Home team gets last change so will have their favorable matchups. 

What he said.

It's not a given that the lines will be different on the road, but with the players being fairly interchangeable at this point & a lot of guys being able to play multiple positions; Granato might be able to tweak lines against different opponents to gain favorable, or avoid unfavorable, matchups.

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Perhaps I’m of the minority opinion, but I’m looking forward to the Cozens line going up against the opponents’ best. That’s a very fast line with two good, responsible D forwards in Cozens and Krebs. And I love how Cozens demanded and was given top D assignments vs other teams last year. We might be selling these guys a bit short here. 

When Cozens was sent out against McDavid, he had at least Okposo & IIRC Girgensons too.  That helps a lot w/ defensive matchups.

Like Krebs instincts in the D zone, but don't trust him to win battles against the other team's top lines.  He just doesn't have the strength yet.  And, at this point, don't want Peterka going against good offensive opponents because he's still learning what his side of the blue line looks like.  He was better about it as the season went on, but early in the year he was leaving his own zone like Skinner on speed.

If this were 2 years from now, could see you being right.  But today, not seeing it.

Question… Down in Sarasota and can’t get through to Comcast…

Does ESPN+ $9.99 month service broadcast most Sabres games during the regular season??

Just now, Believer said:

Question… Down in Sarasota and can’t get through to Comcast…

Does ESPN+ $9.99 month service broadcast most Sabres games during the regular season??

Last year ESPN+ had all Sabres games that were not nationally televised.  You just get blacked out if you are in the home or away market of the team they are playing. Not sure where Sarasota would fall in that blackout rule.

This year COULD be different.

24 minutes ago, Taro T said:

As of right now, it isn't showing up on DTv's 635-1.  Expecting it'll be there, sometimes they're slow to update the programming in the guide, but wouldn't lose that internet addy just yet.

Fios has the pregame and game listed, tell DTV to  get their act together 

13 minutes ago, Taro T said:

When Cozens was sent out against McDavid, he had at least Okposo & IIRC Girgensons too.  That helps a lot w/ defensive matchups.

Like Krebs instincts in the D zone, but don't trust him to win battles against the other team's top lines.  He just doesn't have the strength yet.  And, at this point, don't want Peterka going against good offensive opponents because he's still learning what his side of the blue line looks like.  He was better about it as the season went on, but early in the year he was leaving his own zone like Skinner on speed.

If this were 2 years from now, could see you being right.  But today, not seeing it.

All fair points to be sure and totally understandable. But I won’t be surprised if DG deliberately sent them out against top lines just to give them the challenge opportunity. I love their speed, tenacity, and smarts which count for a lot I think. And imo, over the second half of the AHL season last year, Peterka became a defensive force as he figured it out. Color me intrigued. 

50 minutes ago, elijah said:

Other have covered it: home team gets last change and therefore their desired matchups.

Bruins almost always run Bergeron against the other team’s most dangerous line because he can both neutralize and outscore pretty much any line.

The Sabres would probably rather have the Tage line in a winning matchup while hoping the defensively strong Girgs line can hold Bergeron to a -1, instead of having the Tage line in a -1 and the offence-poor Girgs line playing their match to a draw.

The reason Donnie has pulled Tuch off the top line is he hopes it will create a second line that can outscore the resulting matchup in either rink.

And the reason the youth of the Cozens line doesn't concern me like it does Weave is because it is almost certainly going to be going up against a less-skilled, slower line, because the other team’s best are going to facing the Sabres more experienced units.

The way Donnie appears to have his bottom 6 drawn up, I think it will clearly be better than the bottom sixes they will be facing.

The bigger question for me is whether Quinn, Mitts and (to a lesser extent) Olofsson will be overmatched in what they are being asked to do.

Edited by dudacek

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.