More Roster Moves Multiple Players sent to Rochester; Savoie returned to the WHL

Brawndo

22 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Apologies for not drawing a line of interest to your liking. Apologize profusely for it being “weird”.

Maybe if I would have posted, “Hey, Malone has been in our system longer than any other prospect! Kinda interesting!” it wouldn’t have been so offensive and met with needless semantic disagreements.  

Again, I apologize. There is no distinction at all when it comes to Malone re: time served, prospects often stay within our organization that long. His tenure does not bear mentioning and I withdraw my initial comment 

He did leave for a year.  It anyway, is it all that crazy that a guy from Buffalo realizing that he’s probably an AHL player for life might want to do so close to home?

9 minutes ago, shrader said:

He did leave for a year.  It anyway, is it all that crazy that a guy from Buffalo realizing that he’s probably an AHL player for life might want to do so close to home?

Nope. There’s nothing noteworthy that bears discussion, I agree. The fact that he’s the 2nd longest tenured player in the system (but certainly not a prospective NHLer in any way + depending on how you view him leaving and coming back) is something only I find interesting.

I’m not saying it in snark. I get it.

Moving on now.

Edited by Thorny

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Nope. There’s nothing noteworthy that bears discussion, I agree. The fact he’s been our longest tenured prospect (depending on how you view him leaving and coming back) is something only I find interesting.

Moving on now. 

He’s not a prospect though. He’s depth, just like that list of no name defensemen they added this off-season. Every team needs these guys. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Nope. There’s nothing noteworthy that bears discussion, I agree. The fact that he’s the 2nd longest tenured player in the system (but certainly not a prospective NHLer in any way + depending on how you view him leaving and coming back) is something only I find interesting.

Moving on now.

Day-um Thorny, thought you were through blowing up the board's mediocrity with the other thread.  But noooooo, you just couldn't help yourself, could you?  😉

🍺

On 10/5/2022 at 9:48 AM, Drag0nDan said:

If the goaltending were to improve they make noise.  I just don't see it anywhere near the top of the league.  

Bjork will clear waivers.  He doesn't do anything well.  I'd rather carry sheahan as an extra forward since he can at least win draws.  

Doesn't need to be near the top of the league...it was among the worst in the NHL last year. Even getting to league average would make a huge difference.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Lines looking pretty set.

• We know Comrie and the goaltending is a top 3 question mark for the looming season 
  • Looking at the offence, specifically the middle 6, and the young players/rookies populating the wings there aside from Tuch, it’s looking clear to me that the fortunes of our offence will largely depend on how much Cozens and Mittestadt have developed. I have faith in Cozens being up to it, but Casey as the 2nd line C is honestly quite worrying re: our chances for substantial success, and the two of them make up the 2nd top question mark 
  • On D, the biggest issue I see, and the 3rd top question mark, is if we have a D man good enough to round out the top 4 alongside Power, to give us two solid pairs. Jokiharju seems most unlikely to be of proper quality. Perhaps Lyubushkin represents our best shot at it. Or maybe Power is just good enough we can line up pretty much anyone beside him.

Microscope on: Cozens, Mittelstadt, Lyubushkin, Comrie

Edited by Thorny

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

• We know Comrie and the goaltending is a top 3 question mark for the looming season 
  • Looking at the offence, specifically the middle 6, and the young players/rookies populating the wings there aside from Tuch, it’s looking clear to me that the fortunes of our offence will largely depend on how much Cozens and Mittestadt have developed. I have faith in Cozens being up to it, Casey as the 2nd line C is honestly quite worrying re: our chances for substantial success, and the two of them make up the 2nd top question mark 
  • On D, the biggest issue I see, and the 3rd top question mark, is if we have a D man good enough to round out the top 4 alongside Power, to give us two solid pairs. Or if Power is just good enough we can line up pretty much anyone beside him.

Totally agree on Cozens Casey situation. If they both do really well, so will the Sabres

On D my biggest concern is depth. A few injuries and we could be sunk, imo. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Totally agree on Cozens Casey situation. If they both do really well, so will the Sabres

On D my biggest concern is depth. A few injuries and we could be sunk, imo. 

Can agree on that. How many D on the team are we even fully confident in? Is it a total of three guys, including one being a rookie and the other a, what, second year player in Samuelsson? The potential is sky high, but so is the potential free fall in season.

Still Dahlin’s D.

Still Dahlin’s team.

- - - 

If wins are a premium this year, we honestly really could have used a top 6 C. Maybe they have faith in Mittelstadt.

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Thorny said:

• Looking at the offence, specifically the middle 6, and the young players/rookies populating the wings there aside from Tuch, it’s looking clear to me that the fortunes of our offence will largely depend on how much Cozens and Mittestadt have developed. I have faith in Cozens being up to it, Casey as the 2nd line C is honestly quite worrying re: our chances for substantial success, and the two of them make up the 2nd top question mark 
  • On D, the biggest issue I see, and the 3rd top question mark, is if we have a D man good enough to round out the top 4 alongside Power, to give us two solid pairs. Or if Power is just good enough we can line up pretty much anyone beside him.

Microscope on: Cozens, Mittelstadt, Lyubushkin, Comrie

Said differently, but pretty much lines up with what I said in the playoff thread. We make the playoffs if:

• We get .915 goaltending from whoever emerges as the starter
  • Someone puts up 60ish points driving a 2nd line.
  • Owen Power has an immediate impact carrying a 2nd pair on D

I don’t think you’re wrong to isolate on Mitts and Cozens, but it looks to me like Donnie is focused on making Tuch the driver on line 2 - not necessarily a bad choice given that he was our 2nd-best forward last year. I hope his linemates can help him. 

Im curious if/how soon they turn to UPL. I’ve got a feeling it becomes his crease at some point this year.

Power has looked fantastic IMO. You can see him testing and processing; he is the poster child for all of Donnie’s internalizing and learn by doing blab. I think he will be that guy this year, just not sure how soon.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Said differently, but pretty much lines up with what I said in the playoff thread. We make the playoffs if:

• We get .915 goaltending from whoever emerges as the starter
  • Someone puts up 60ish points driving a 2nd line.
  • Owen Power has an immediate impact carrying a 2nd pair on D

I don’t think you’re wrong to isolate on Mitts and Cozens, but it looks to me like Donnie is focused on making Tuch the driver on line 2 - not necessarily a bad choice given that he was our 2nd-best forward last year. I hope his linemates can help him. 

Im curious if/how soon they turn to UPL. I’ve got a feeling it becomes his crease at some point this year.

Power has looked fantastic IMO. You can see him testing and processing; he is the poster child for all of Donnie’s internalizing and learn by doing blab. I think he will be that guy this year, just not sure how soon.

- It’s a good point on Tuch. He’s so interesting to me. One of the most elaborate cases of “Steve Bernier” syndrome I’ve ever seen. Of course it’s relative, Tuch is a good player regardless, and will help a top 9 on a playoff quality roster. But the dude Bernier’d out during his first couple weeks to the tune of “Will he produce more over a full healthy season than a healthy Jack?” posts. I mean, the numbers kinda WERE there, too. 

But he cooled off. As much as Bernier, relatively. I don’t think that point-a-game type stuff was ever sustainable, right? But he should remain a 50-60 point guy. More than good enough to be the top point producer on a second scoring line, on a reasonable team. Difficulty as always is knowing what level of C quality we’d need on his line to allow us the first two lines of foundation on a *good* team, and not just a reasonable one. Never mind defining what those two terms represent.

- You are sort of wading through the swirled tea dregs of my darkest nightmares, whistling, with an unfazed, unfaltering march when you touch upon UPL becoming the starter this year. I don’t think many here are yet entertaining this idea, though.

- When, and if, so you see Power passing Dahlin? My thoughts an Dahlin are documented. At least once.

Edited by Thorny

I believe Donnie started camp with this pencilled intending to roll over these 4 lines at ES:

• Skinner Thompson Olofsson
  • Quinn Mittelstadt Tuch
  • Girgensons Asplund Okposo
  • Krebs Cozens Peterka

Lean heavily on the top 4 of this 6:

• Samuelsson Dahlin
  • Power Jokiharju
  • Bryson Lyubushkin

Rotate these 2 in net until their play changes that situation:

• Anderson Comrie

And lean on these guys a lot as spares:

• Hinostroza Fitzpatrick

Which left one spot potentially open on a healthy roster.

Don’t think anything has happened in camp to upset that apple cart, despite what I may think of UPL and Pilut outplaying some of the chosen few, or a lacklustre showing from Bryson, or spotty play from maybe Krebs or Peterka.

The money quote from Donnie was when he referenced the body of work prior to camp. He’s going to give this group some time.

Bjork, Sheahan and Pilut are the only players on the bubble right now and those decisions certainly aren’t going to make or break our start.

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I believe Donnie started camp with this pencilled intending to roll over these 4 lines at ES:

• Skinner Thompson Olofsson
  • Quinn Mittelstadt Tuch
  • Girgensons Asplund Okposo
  • Krebs Cozens Peterka

Lean heavily on the top 4 of this 6:

• Samuelsson Dahlin
  • Power Jokiharju
  • Bryson Lyubushkin

Rotate these 2 in net until their play changes that situation:

• Anderson Comrie

And lean on these guys a lot as spares:

• Hinostroza Fitzpatrick

Which left one spot potentially open on a healthy roster.

Don’t think anything has happened in camp to upset that apple cart, despite what I may think of UPL and Pilut outplaying some of the chosen few, or a lacklustre showing from Bryson, or spotty play from maybe Krebs or Peterka.

The money quote from Donnie was when he referenced the body of work prior to camp. He’s going to give this group some time.

Bjork, Sheahan and Pilut are the only players on the bubble right now and those decisions certainly aren’t going to make or break our start.

Pilut a dark horse difference maker, imo. I think he’s pretty good tbh. I had him in the top 6 to start, personally. 

Donnie really is the best isn’t he. Whispering sweet nothings about Sample Size and what not. It’s musical. 

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Thorny said:

- It’s a good point on Tuch. He’s so interesting to me. One of the most elaborate cases of “Steve Bernier” syndrome I’ve ever seen. Of course it’s relative, Tuch is a good player regardless, and will help a top 9 on a playoff quality roster. But the dude Bernier’d out during his first couple weeks to the tune of “Will he produce more over a full healthy season than a healthy Jack?” posts. I mean, the numbers kinda WERE there, too. 

But he cooled off. As much as Bernier, relatively. I don’t think that point-a-game type stuff was ever sustainable, right? But he should remain a 50-60 point guy. More than good enough to be the top point producer on a second scoring line, on a reasonable team. Difficulty as always is knowing what level of C quality we’d need on his line to allow us the first two lines of foundation on a *good* team, and not just a reasonable one. Never mind defining what those two terms represent.

- You are sort of wading through the swirled tea dregs of my darkest nightmares, whistling, with an unfazed, unfaltering march when you touch upon UPL becoming the starter this year. I don’t think many here are yet entertaining this idea, though.

- When, and if, so you see Power passing Dahlin? My thoughts an Dahlin are documented. At least once.

I’ve always been a IQ/compete before tools guy, but Tuch’s tools are fascinating.

His size/speed combo is top-shelf, as in other than Eichel, who have we ever had to match? He’s a train through the neutral zone and a big cat along the offensive boards. I don’t see a natural goal scorer, but he sees the ice well and moves the puck and himself into the right spots.

What I see, and what I think the coaching staff sees, is a nice guy who perceives himself as a complementary piece rather than someone who can and should impose his will on the game.

I don’t generally buy the idea of a guy taking a step in his mid-20s, but I look at Thompson, another guy who was not the sum of his tools, see what this staff unlocked there, and can hope. Tuch is, and should continue to be, a good player regardless.

Ive always been on the Dahlin train because he’s always had the compete and the IQ to match his elite tools once the confidence and the experience caught up. He’s arrived even if his reputation has yet to catch up.

Power looks to tick all those boxes as well, is starting later and better prepared in terms of comfort and maturity, and is coming into what appears to be a much better environment.

So I think he will arrive more quickly than Ras did as a legit 1st pairing guy. If he even matches, let alone surpasses Dahlin we will be a contender for a long time.

Their games are so different: Dahlin is lava, Power is ice.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Pilut a dark horse difference maker, imo. I think he’s pretty good tbh. I had him in the top 6 to start, personally. 

Donnie really is the best isn’t he. Whispering sweet nothings about Sample Size and what not. It’s musical. 

Pilut has clearly outperformed Bryson and should start ahead of him, IMO.

I will understand JJ ahead of Hinostroza if it happens, or UPL over Comrie - short-term pain, long-term gain and all that. IMO, that doesn’t apply to Bryson over Pilut

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.