More Roster Moves Multiple Players sent to Rochester; Savoie returned to the WHL

Brawndo

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

If that second line produces somewhat consistently, we are in really good shape. 

I remember VO played with TNT last year, but can’t remember if they clicked really well. 

Not sure what to expect of the third line. I’m sure they will score, but not sure it will be huge. So young. 

Love the fourth line. I expect that could be a good heavy line, a momentum changing line. 

Pretty excited for season to start 🤓

• Agree 1

On 10/2/2022 at 9:53 AM, RochesterExpat said:

Kulich making it to the Amerks after saying he had no other plans than playing in Buffalo this season is a pretty cool story line for this season. The fact both Kulich and Kozak made the Amerks because of strong performances at development camp, prospect challenge and training camp is a great message for the team to be sending to other young kids. Especially with Kozak as a 7th round pick getting offered a contract at D+1, showing up strong this summer, and making it to the AHL as a result. You hope players like Mats Lindgren see that and it motivates the hell out of them (side note: he had two assists yesterday in his first game back in the WHL and his team won 4-2).

I'm glad this organization is rewarding hard work and performance where they see it, but not doing so in a manner that rushes development. If this were 4 years ago, I don't think Savoie would be going back to the WHL. He is a great hockey player and looked good on the ice, but he needs another year (or two) before he should be on the NHL roster. Let him develop without rushing it. Lets not have a Casey Mittelstadt repeat.

The other important point is that even with both playing well, it wasn't good enough to make the Sabres.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

If that second line produces somewhat consistently, we are in really good shape. 

I remember VO played with TNT last year, but can’t remember if they clicked really well

Not sure what to expect of the third line. I’m sure they will score, but not sure it will be huge. So young. 

Love the fourth line. I expect that could be a good heavy line, a momentum changing line. 

Those 2 were with Asplund until Victor broke & Thompson got paired up with Skinner.  "That 70's Line" was pretty good while it was together.  Pretty sure Goalofsson was the team's leading scorer until he got injured.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

On 10/1/2022 at 7:26 PM, Brawndo said:

That sounds about right

Kozak under Peca’s Tutelage for the season is going to be great for His Development 

Kozak telling opponents to get the Bozak

7 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I remember VO played with TNT last year, but can’t remember if they clicked really well. 

This team is going to be a lot better than most pundits think. Probably not playoff good but I think somewhere in the 87-90 point range.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Guy has been in the system longer than Girgensons. 

Pretty sure we drafted him before Curtis Brown.

- - - 

We drafted Malone *9* years ago and he’s played a grand total of 2 NHL games, and 208 (2.5 seasons worth) of AHL games.

Dude has staying power, or sensitive photos of someone or something. Was signed to NHL contracts by Tim Murray, Jason Botterill, and Kevyn Adams twice. 

More NHL contracts from Buffalo than NHL games played. 

I know he’s had health issues, it’s the fact he’s still kicking around after a decade that’s the anomaly. Last season was the first noteworthy season in his career, hopefully it’s the new trend and he carves out an AHL role for his 30s. 

I’m not really sure what’s so unusual about this. He left for another organization for a year, then returned to be one of the veterans. I guess it’s slightly odd that he re-signed with the Sabres as a FA, but he’s local, and the Sabres love his leadership. 

45 minutes ago, Thorny said:

5 NHL contracts with 3 NHL games played is a statistical anomaly 

I bet that there are plenty of guys like this across the league.  The AHL followers can probably through out a bunch of names of guys who would probably have very similar careers.  It's a bit tough for me to pick them out since I don't follow the league, but I did randomly come across this one.

22 minutes ago, shrader said:

I bet that there are plenty of guys like this across the league.  The AHL followers can probably through out a bunch of names of guys who would probably have very similar careers.  It's a bit tough for me to pick them out since I don't follow the league, but I did randomly come across this one.

Man, I feel for these guys. Chasing a dream and not giving up.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, shrader said:

Matt Ellis was kind of one of those guys.  He played 4 AHL seasons, then made the NHL for while, but then split time between the AHL and NHL for the rest of his career.  In the 9 years he did play in the NHL, he averaged fewer than 40 games per year.

More successful than Malone and Lerg, but never quite fully established as an NHLer.

57 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

When does Bjork get the pink slip?

Yeah, I really really really hope he doesn't make the NHL roster.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 10/4/2022 at 1:28 AM, matter2003 said:

Kozak telling opponents to get the Bozak

This team is going to be a lot better than most pundits think. Probably not playoff good but I think somewhere in the 87-90 point range.

If the goaltending were to improve they make noise.  I just don't see it anywhere near the top of the league.  

8 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Matt Ellis was kind of one of those guys.  He played 4 AHL seasons, then made the NHL for while, but then split time between the AHL and NHL for the rest of his career.  In the 9 years he did play in the NHL, he averaged fewer than 40 games per year.

More successful than Malone and Lerg, but never quite fully established as an NHLer.

Yeah, I really really really hope he doesn't make the NHL roster.

Bjork will clear waivers.  He doesn't do anything well.  I'd rather carry sheahan as an extra forward since he can at least win draws.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Thorny said:

5 NHL contracts with 3 NHL games played is a statistical anomaly 

No. In fact, there are dozens of players who get 2 way contracts every summer to play in the AHL who rarely ever play in the NHL. It’s about as common as can be. 

13 hours ago, SwampD said:

Man, I feel for these guys. Chasing a dream and not giving up.

Many of the AHL vets are making upwards of a 300-400K. The AHL is not the grind it used to be, and they make a good living. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Drag0nDan said:

If the goaltending were to improve they make noise.  I just don't see it anywhere near the top of the league.  

Through most of the recent NHL season, if you can be even or positive in your teams goal differential, that gets you in the playoffs or very close.  No guarantees, but each year it is only 1 or 2 teams that are positive that don't make the playoffs, and about the same number of teams that are negative that do make the playoffs.

So how do the Sabres closer to even, or possbily even positive?

Last year they were -58.  The average  goals scored/allowed per team was I THINK 266 last year. How do the Sabres get from where they were last year to there? The scored 232 so they need to get 34 more goals scored. They allowed 290, so they have to cut that down by 24.

What if the Sabres got better goaltending? The league average save percentage last year was .902. The 20th, 21st, and 22nd best goalies in the league last year (anyone over 35 games played) were at .910. The Sabres allowed 2702 shots last year.  With leage average goaltending, they would allow 268-270 goals, almost 25 less than last year. With a goalie/goaltending at .910 (20th best in the league last year), they would allow 245 goals.  

Want to take it a bit further? The Sabres allowed more shots than an average team, in addition to stoping less shots.  With Dahlin getting one year better, Power and Sameulson improving the D unit, what if the Sabres just became league average in terms of shots allowed?  That brings them down to just over 2600 shots allowed (almost 100 less than last year).  So my numbers might not be correct down to the goal but I think they are close. If they can allow league average shots and get league average goaltending, they allow 266 goals.  If they can get that 20th best goaltending (.910) and allow league average shots, that gets them down to about 235-240 goals, (which would be 50-55 of an improvement from this season)

I'm not saying they will, or could do any of that.  But any combination of those gets them most of where they need to go in terms of goals allowed.  If, IF they got top 20 NHL goaltending AND cut shots allowed down to league average, they would be very close to that even goal differential without even scoring any more goals.  

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

3 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Through most of the recent NHL season, if you can be even or positive in your teams goal differential, that gets you in the playoffs or very close.  No guarantees, but each year it is only 1 or 2 teams that are positive that don't make the playoffs, and about the same number of teams that are negative that do make the playoffs.

Last year they were -58.  The average  goals scored/allowed per team was I THINK 266 last year. How do the Sabres get from where they were last year to there? The scored 232 so they need to get 34 more goals scored. They allowed 290, so they have to cut that down by 24.

What if the Sabres got better goaltending? The league average save percentage last year was .902. The 20th, 21st, and 22nd best goalies in the league last year (anyone over 35 games played) were at .910. The Sabres allowed 2702 shots last year.  With leage average goaltending, they would allow 268-270 goals, almost 25 less than last year. With a goalie/goaltending at .910 (20th best in the league last year), they would allow 245 goals.  

Want to take it a bit further? The Sabres allowed more shots than an average team, in addition to stoping less shots.  With Dahlin getting one year better, Power and Sameulson improving the D unit, what if the Sabres just became league average in terms of shots allowed?  That brings them down to just over 2600 shots allowed (almost 100 less than last year).  So my numbers might not be correct down to the goal but I think they are close. If they can allow league average shots and get league average goaltending, they allow 266 goals.  If they can get that 20th best goaltending (.910) and allow league average shots, that gets them down to about 235-240 goals, (which would be 50-55 of an improvement from this season)

I'm not saying they will, or could do any of that.  But any combination of those gets them most of where they need to go in terms of goals allowed.  If, IF they got top 20 NHL goaltending AND cut shots allowed down to league average, they would be very close to that even goal differential without even scoring any more goals.  

All very good points - its not just the goalies.  Shot suppression is important, and scoring more goals is important.  There were stretches where we just got blown out too.  Being consistently in every game is big too.  

27 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

All very good points - its not just the goalies.  Shot suppression is important, and scoring more goals is important.  There were stretches where we just got blown out too.  Being consistently in every game is big too.  

QUALITY shot suppression is important.  There were a bunch of games under Housley & Krueger that the Sabres outshot their opponent but got smoked and it wasn't just because Buffalo's GTing was that much worse than the backup that got the start for the visitor.  

4 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Terrific effort and analysis!  What you are essentially saying is that there is a number of avenues where this team can (and should) get better. An improvement in a few of the avenues you enumerated should move this team up the ranks. It's not a stretch as much as it is reasonably doable. 

28 minutes ago, Taro T said:

QUALITY shot suppression is important.  There were a bunch of games under Housley & Krueger that the Sabres outshot their opponent but got smoked and it wasn't just because Buffalo's GTing was that much worse than the backup that got the start for the visitor.  

With the addition of Lubushkin and Power, the blue line is not only better but should also enhance the play of the particular goalie in net. (As you noted.) And with those added blue liners there is more depth on hand to deal with the inevitable injuries. As @mjd1001described in his analysis there is a number of areas of expected improvement that should support the play of our goalies. Again, as you are stating. 

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Quick, find one other current Sabre with more NHL contracts than games played. For something that’s as “common as can be”, I’d expect double digits then when we have like 50 or so contracts or whatever 

I’ll wait 

It's not the correct answer, but Houser has 3 contracts for 6 NHL gp.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Thorny said:

Quick, find one other current Sabre with more NHL contracts than games played. For something that’s as “common as can be”, I’d expect double digits then when we have like 50 or so contracts or whatever 

I’ll wait 

There’s nothing to wait for. He’s a classic AHL veteran, and the reason he doesn’t have more games is partially his injury history. 

But anyway, Priskie has 3 NHL contracts, 4 NHL games. Close enough.

Last year, Schuldt signed his 4th NHL contract with Buffalo. 0 NHL games. 

There’s likely many more throughout the league. It’s a weird line to draw. What’s the difference if he has 3 NHL games or 20? The Sabres view him as depth, and someone they can call up if injuries hit. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Amerks8796 said:

There’s nothing to wait for. He’s a classic AHL veteran, and the reason he doesn’t have more games is partially his injury history. 

But anyway, Priskie has 3 NHL contracts, 4 NHL games. Close enough.

Last year, Schuldt signed his 4th NHL contract with Buffalo. 0 NHL games. 

There’s likely many more throughout the league. It’s a weird line to draw. What’s the difference if he has 3 NHL games or 20? The Sabres view him as depth, and someone they can call up if injuries hit. 

Apologies for not drawing a line of interest to your liking. Apologize profusely for it being “weird”.

Maybe if I would have posted, “Hey, Malone has been in our system longer than any other prospect! Kinda interesting!” it wouldn’t have been so offensive and met with needless semantic disagreements.  

Again, I apologize. There is no distinction at all when it comes to Malone re: time served, prospects often stay within our organization that long. His tenure does not bear mentioning and I withdraw my initial comment 

Edited by Thorny
Deleted the posts. Reason: derailment of otherwise elite thread

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.