GDT Preseason: Sabres @ Blue Jackets 9/28/2022, 7pm, Sabres.com and WGR

LGR4GM

Overall I wasn't a fan of how Granato set the lineup last night. I understand you need to give NHL fringe guys like Clague and Priske minutes during preseason to get a better look at them, but why is the entire taxi squad out there at the same time? I think the coaching staff would gain more by putting a few more NHL regulars in with them such that the puck isn't stuck in the Sabres d-zone for extended periods of time.

I'll admit this is a very small thing to nitpick but yeah. I don't think you can really get a feel for Quinn/Peterka/Comrie from this game.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, NAF said:

I'll admit this is a very small thing to nitpick but yeah. I don't think you can really get a feel for Quinn/Peterka/Comrie from this game.

I think it was more about thrusting Olofsson, Peterka, Quinn, Krebs, Bryson and Comrie to the front of the lineup to give them a challenge.

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Face it, last night's lineup was the outcast room at Omega House.

I swear I've seen that movie 10+ times - but I do not remember that scene. And yikes - the "outcast" section of the party is a bit that ... did not age particularly well? Or maybe it can be spun in such a way that the butt of the joke is Marmalard and Omega, not the ethnic minorities and the disabled guy. Anyway. Most comedy - even a lot of great comedy - has a shelf life. 

18 hours ago, dudacek said:

If Priskie and Clague thought they had a shot of being the #7, it's time to reconsider.

If Bryson and Fitzpatrick thought they were on the team, they need to take a closer look at Lawrence Pilut.

The book on Kozak and Kulich and any other Cinderella story making the team is now closed.

For the stories that are going to continue: Quinn, Peterka and Krebs are better than Bjork, but haven't cleared the tougher bars yet, and Comrie looked like I kinda expected — a solid backup.

Yup. 

Sounds like Comrie didn’t have a bad game, but neither a particularly good game. Yes, only the 3rd goal was “bad”, but your “not a difference maker” comment touched on a salient point: people forget it’s also ok for a goalie to be, ya know, good: and make saves that they aren’t “supposed” to make, just like a sniper snipes where others cannot and a playmaker makes a play where another player doesn’t have the vision.

We’ll need a lot better from a starter on a prospective playoff team: but as with the other games, we shouldn’t read too much into preseason. He can go up from here.

And a better team around him will help a bunch too. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Come on. You watched that game tonight and made up your mind on Comrie? That is ridiculous.

I like how dudacek’s well-drawn (And well-written) positives from the other games are totally fair game but one observation on the not-altogether-positive side is “ridiculous”. 

It’s ok to make observations, as long as they are positive haha

17 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

That really isn't saying much lots of fans underappreciated miller and buffalo has had ***** since. 

Now some fans realize what we had but now its too late

But also Ullmark 

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

Am I missing something? Is Twitter exploding?

I see one post in this thread that’s down on Comrie.

Pi’s post was sarcasm. I’ve explained mine.

General feeling seems to be he played well.

It’s pressurized in here. I think you’re feeling that now, watch your step.

Edited by Thorny

10 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I like how dudacek’s well-drawn (And well-written) positives from the other games are totally fair game but one observation on the not-altogether-positive side is “ridiculous”. 

It’s ok to make observations, as long as they are positive haha

But also Ullmark 

Thanks message board police. He watched one game with AHL players and stated he had made up his mind that Comrie was a backup goalie. Yes that is a ridiculous statement to make. Would be the same as me stating I think we might have a superstar in Biro because he potted two goals against Philly.

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Yup. 

Sounds like Comrie didn’t have a bad game, but neither a particularly good game. Yes, only the 3rd goal was “bad”, but your “not a difference maker” comment touched on a salient point: people forget it’s also ok for a goalie to be, ya know, good: and make saves that they aren’t “supposed” to make, just like a sniper snipes where others cannot and a playmaker makes a play where another player doesn’t have the vision.

We’ll need a lot better from a starter on a prospective playoff team: but as with the other games, we shouldn’t read too much into preseason. He can go up from here.

He did though. Did you watch the game?

12 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Thanks message board police. He watched one game with AHL players and stated he had made up his mind that Comrie was a backup goalie. Yes that is a ridiculous statement to make. Would be the same as me stating I think we might have a superstar in Biro because he potted two goals against Philly.

1st bolded: No problem.

2nd bolded: he didn’t say that, nor does he post in that fashion, if you are familiar with his content at all.

As for the last bit, that’s kinda.. exactly what’s happening? (to (kinda?) not such an extreme level) with the Kozaks of the world, etc, in the other threads. Proclamations that late round picks are going to be elite defensive forwards in the NHL in the mold of Mike Peca lol. Like it’s all good, I’m not “well, actually”ing those posts in the other threads. But the contrast reaction to statements using the same, consistent parsing when they don’t go the way you want them too is admittedly kinda funny.

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

He did though. Did you watch the game?

On a more macro, sv% basis, sorry 

Edited by Thorny

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

I swear I've seen that movie 10+ times - but I do not remember that scene. And yikes - the "outcast" section of the party is a bit that ... did not age particularly well? Or maybe it can be spun in such a way that the butt of the joke is Marmalard and Omega, not the ethnic minorities and the disabled guy. Anyway. Most comedy - even a lot of great comedy - has a shelf life. 

The point of that seen is to demonstrate what a bunch of ***** the Omegas are.  It's supposed to be cringeworthy.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Yup. 

Comrie stopped at least 5 and probably more like 8 breakaways.  He really was left on an island far too often.  There was nothing he could do on the 1st, had a shooter come clean on him w/ an open teammate on the backdoor on the 2nd.  Difficult to fully commit to the shot & he got burned there.  The 3rd goal was one he'd like to have back as he was kind of flat-footed & then got handcuffed on a partial breakaway in tight.  Don't recall the 4th goal ottomh, but IIRC he was hung out to dry there too on a shortie.

In the 1st they were outshot 13-2 & outchanced 20-7.  With the ice tilted that badly, being down 2-0 wasn't awful. 

He gave them a chance.  The AHL heavy roster was only down by 1 goal heading into the 3rd.  Can't really ask for much more.  So, the question remains is he good enough to be a full time starter?  Based on this 1 game, maybe.  Would like to see him w/ the D that Anderson had to get a better idea about that.

Not to throw fuel on the fire, but I rewatched the game today (I missed it yesterday as I was coaching 8U). I thought Comrie played well. One of four goals (already discussed) I'd argue he should have had, but that score could have been 7-0 at the end of the first period if we had Tokarski or end-of-the-season Anderson in net.

I struggle to takeaway from that game that Comrie played poorly. I don't understand that view, I'm sorry. If you were expecting the second coming of Hasek then he was never going to reach your expectations in the first place.

My takeaways from that game:

- That defense was awful and did not play well with each other at all. Holy hell. Laaksonen was out of position a bunch and Bryson and Fitzgerald do not play well with each other at all. I don't think Bryson's game was terrible, but something was weirdly off about Fitzgerald. 

- Rosen and Krebs got pushed around a lot. Kind of concerned about Krebs. Less so for Rosen at the moment. Rosen was invisible on the ice if he wasn't getting pushed around (he also didn't appear to get many shifts).

- Quinn has no problem shooting the puck, but he's also patient enough to make plays without forcing it. That's exactly what he did with the Priskie goal where he waited for a better opportunity before making a play. Considering how the rest of the game was going, this is a pretty good sign of maturity for a 21 year old.

- Kozak/Weissbach could make an interesting pairing in Rochester.

- Cederqvist must not have got a lot of minutes because he was on the ice about as much as Rosen, but he was noticeable when he was on the ice.

- Bjork is not making the roster.

8 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

Not to throw fuel on the fire, but I rewatched the game today (I missed it yesterday as I was coaching 8U). I thought Comrie played well. One of four goals (already discussed) I'd argue he should have had, but that score could have been 7-0 at the end of the first period if we had Tokarski or end-of-the-season Anderson in net.

I struggle to takeaway from that game that Comrie played poorly. I don't understand that view, I'm sorry. If you were expecting the second coming of Hasek then he was never going to reach your expectations in the first place.

My takeaways from that game:

- That defense was awful and did not play well with each other at all. Holy hell. Laaksonen was out of position a bunch and Bryson and Fitzgerald do not play well with each other at all. I don't think Bryson's game was terrible, but something was weirdly off about Fitzgerald. 

- Rosen and Krebs got pushed around a lot. Kind of concerned about Krebs. Less so for Rosen at the moment. Rosen was invisible on the ice if he wasn't getting pushed around (he also didn't appear to get many shifts).

- Quinn has no problem shooting the puck, but he's also patient enough to make plays without forcing it. That's exactly what he did with the Priskie goal where he waited for a better opportunity before making a play. Considering how the rest of the game was going, this is a pretty good sign of maturity for a 21 year old.

- Kozak/Weissbach could make an interesting pairing in Rochester.

- Cederqvist must not have got a lot of minutes because he was on the ice about as much as Rosen, but he was noticeable when he was on the ice.

- Bjork is not making the roster.

Who expressed the view Comrie played poorly? 

35 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Who expressed the view Comrie played poorly? 

The resident “everything Sabres sucks” poster. You know, that old tired hat.

I thought Comrie played mostly fine for what it was. An exhibition game with a ton of prospects. 

Edited by Zamboni

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

What was said on the air and on a blog the Sabres have not endorsed? That Terry got a deal from his old buddy at Bluebird in Olean?

The Columbus Broadcast Team mentioned that the Sabres had to bus into Columbus as they had problems with iAero (Their Airline Charter Company) and that the Sabres were looking for another airline for team charters.

This was the Tweet from the Blog.

I believe Sabres PR made the decision not to allow any blogs to have credentials for the press box or locker room for games and practice this season, (this is where the uncredentialed blog comment came from)

In past years blogs have been allowed. 

John Wawrow and John Vogl, reportedly were both very receptive and helpful to bloggers.

Some of the other older beat reporters such as Harrington are not fans of blogs and use any opportunity to degrade them.

Which is interesting as the Old Guard of Sabres Beat Reporters haven't broken a single piece of Sabres News in over decade, while Chad DeDomincis has been the first to report some bits of Sabres News

9 hours ago, NAF said:

Overall I wasn't a fan of how Granato set the lineup last night. I understand you need to give NHL fringe guys like Clague and Priske minutes during preseason to get a better look at them, but why is the entire taxi squad out there at the same time? I think the coaching staff would gain more by putting a few more NHL regulars in with them such that the puck isn't stuck in the Sabres d-zone for extended periods of time.

Because the next few games are used to tune up the real Sabres and get a final look at the guys legitimately on the bubble for the NHL roster.  

It is the same thing McDermott does.   Be the coach that gives everyone a decent look in pre-season and let them play the majority of minutes for a game or two.  It's being fair and players will respect that.  Comrie played because they hoped he could keep it close - which he did for most of the game.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.