GDT Preseason: Sabres @ Blue Jackets 9/28/2022, 7pm, Sabres.com and WGR

LGR4GM

12 minutes ago, Ctaeth said:

They don't field a team like that with the intention to NOT compete.  They were looking for guys to step up and shine.  It didn't happen this go around, but there are more preseason games left 🤷‍♂️ 

I agree though, it can be hard to judge these guys without some more NHL level talent mixed in

Not really. You use the last three games to work with the starters, to get them ready.  Tonight was it for the JV.

19 minutes ago, dudacek said:

If Priskie and Clague thought they had a shot of being the #7, it's time to reconsider.

If Bryson and Fitzpatrick thought they were on the team, they need to take a closer look at Lawrence Pilut.

The book on Kozak and Kulich and any other Cinderella story making the team is now closed.

For the stories that are going to continue: Quinn, Peterka and Krebs are better than Bjork, but haven't cleared the tougher bars yet, and Comrie looked like I kinda expected — a solid backup.

Come on. You watched that game tonight and made up your mind on Comrie? That is ridiculous.

12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

You think Comrie looked like a backup? Well you're entitled to your opinion but I disagree. 

A backup in the Marty Biron sense: good enough to win if you play well, not a difference maker.

He made some excellent saves and looked generally sound, but he also let in 4 in 31 shots.

And to be clear, it was one game.

3 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Come on. You watched that game tonight and made up your mind on Comrie? That is ridiculous.

Not at all. It was my impression of this game and it happened to match my impression before we got him.

Long way to go before making up my mind.

4 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

What's this, bussing? The Sabres charter plane is the same plane week-in and -out and it's falling apart? Like in Major League?

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Not sure what happened tonight with the plane in Columbus, but the Sabres flew right after the Flyers game to Columbus.

You guys calling them cheap for bussing or whatever, the Sabres actually spend extra money on this preseason game because they got a hotel for the night. Normally, teams just travel the day of the game in preseason.

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Why would the Sabres put Comrie in net for his first game behind a bunch of AHLers as his defense?  I thought they wanted to put their guys in a position to succeed.    

cause it's preseason. Wanted to see what Comrie could do under fire? idk, I didn't see the game but reading the comments it doesn't sound good. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

cause it's preseason. Wanted to see what Comrie could do under fire? idk, I didn't see the game but reading the comments it doesn't sound good. 

Then you're reading biased comments. 

Goal 1: player left completely alone back door, shesterkin ain't stopping that.

Goal 2: guy walks in unopposed from half wall and picks the far top corner. Great shot. 

Goal 3: He lifts his leg on a breakaway and this one is on him. Considering he saved the other 4 or 5 breaks, I get it. 

Goal 4: cbj were offsides but it's the preseason and again guy gets a clean break because the defense was trash. JJP just kinda coasting back, no biggie. 

I'd like Comrie to get goal 3. The other 3, were part of a series of point blank chances that he probably was 7 out of 10 on. The defense was a sieve and broke down every other rush. Comrie kept them in it in the 2nd but in the 3rd the jackets constant pressure sealed the win. 

That defense was atrocious and the forwards couldn't sustain much outside of a 10 min stretch in the 2nd period. This reminded me of games under Krueger but with better exits and entries. You could see Granatos system but this level could not execute it consistently against cbj, who played better. Credit to cbj for a good game and thank God that's not buffalo's defense. Bryson was the only one I felt positive about and at this stage, he's behind Pilut for me. Comrie kept Buffalo in this well into the 3rd but the rest of the team was trash with a couple of exceptions. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 9/28/2022 at 9:01 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Why would the Sabres put Comrie in net for his first game behind a bunch of AHLers as his defense?  I thought they wanted to put their guys in a position to succeed.    

They probably told him to prepared to get shelled.  Get some work in to break him when it doesn't actually matter.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

<snip> ... <snip> 

I'd like Comrie to get goal 3. The other 3, were part of a series of point blank chances that he probably was 7 out of 10 on. The defense was a sieve and broke down every other rush. Comrie kept them in it in the 2nd but in the 3rd the jackets constant pressure sealed the win.

Case in point as to why this board is capable of providing better analysis than most media outlets that cover the team.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

Ahh exactly what I knew would happen to comrie happened. He was thrown to the wolves in his first outing and the narratives against him were loaded up. Poor guy. 

Am I missing something? Is Twitter exploding?

I see one post in this thread that’s down on Comrie.

12 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Comrie stinks 

Pi’s post was sarcasm. I’ve explained mine.

General feeling seems to be he played well.

Edited by dudacek

This play is the definition of hanging your goalie out to dry. 

The defender (Laaksonen) in the center has good position to force the puck carrier wide. The puck carrier passes to the winger shortly before entry (which appears way offside). Once the forward makes that pass, Laaksonen becomes an idiot, he just lazily drifts toward the wall, no urgency, just kinda drifting. The other sabre defender (Biro) is also closing the gap and although a step behind it makes little sense for the defender to slide over and basically sit in no man's land at the top of the zone leaving just open space behind him. Then there is JJP who is on the backcheck and should be picking up the center who just passed the puck off. He is gliding and makes almost 0 effort to cut in front of his man, either tired or lazy but it is a bad look. The other sabre who was closing with the winger (Biro) is also useless as he lets Laaksonen eventually get there on the wall but then again, does nothing to get in a passing lane, he's basically the most useless person on this play. Finally the pass comes across and JJP realizes he f'ed up so we get a mediocre stick check. 17 and 64 for Buffalo watch the play like they did for most of it. Every single one of the players not named Comrie fails on this goal from Laaksonen not closing down the wall fast enough or better yet staying more center to guard against the pass, to Biro who just sorta kinda is there, to JJP who if he gives himself a couple more strides can break up the play. Total failure from that unit and honestly I feel so annoyed by it that I don't want any of them starting in Buffalo right now and that includes JJP. 

17 is Biro

64 is Laaksonen

As Liger pointed out, only the one goal was one I thought Comrie should have had. 

I thought he looked good and I am excited to see an extended run with the NHL lineup in front of him.

The kids had chances last night just didn’t go their way. This is the deepest the Sabres have been in years. I can’t see Bjork playing in a healthy lineup so this could be the first time in year the Sabres ice a team with no anchors on it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.