50 years ago today

\GoBillsInDallas/

2 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

The Soviets were apparently going to claim victory on total goals in a tied series before the goal.

People do not recall that Canadian celebration was more relief than anything.  NHL fans expected a walk-over and then discovered that the Soviets were really, really good.

5 hours ago, Marvin said:

The Soviets were apparently going to claim victory on total goals in a tied series before the goal.

People do not recall that Canadian celebration was more relief than anything.  NHL fans expected a walk-over and then discovered that the Soviets were really, really good.

I remember that game.  Paul Henderson was a speedy and crafty player.  

Gil Perreault was the youngest guy on the team at 21 yr.   He had a 1 goal and 1 assist in 2 games.  

I cant help noticing the skating back then compared to now.   

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

I remember that game.  Paul Henderson was a speedy and crafty player.  

Gil Perreault was the youngest guy on the team at 21 yr.   He had a 1 goal and 1 assist in 2 games.  

I cant help noticing the skating back then compared to now.   

Compare the SKATES & sports science from then to now.  Leather boots w/ relatively little ankle support compared to today's skates, the old style steel rail housing the blade.  No computer modeling to determine the ideal knee angle and stride.  It's a wonder they could skate as well as they did.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Taro T said:

Compare the SKATES & sports science from then to now.  Leather boots w/ relatively little ankle support compared to today's skates, the old style steel rail housing the blade.  No computer modeling to determine the ideal knee angle and stride.  It's a wonder they could skate as well as they did.

Very true.  Makes me think back to simpler times.  

I started with Bauer Bobby Orr skates, which were a decent starter skate at the time and offered good support for a beginner.  Besides nobody could skate like Orr, so if Bobby Orr used them they must be good.  Right? 

I stared at them in the Brand Names catalog for about 6 months and then Santa Claus brought them to me for Christmas 1969.  

With these skates I went from walking on top of my ankles to really skating, doing cross over turns, hockey stops, and transitions to backwards skating in one winter.  All by being fearless (crazy) and just copying others. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.