Sabres Broadcast Team to Travel with Team This Season. With the Exception of West Coast Games

Brawndo

58 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

West Coast being... Vancouver, Seattle, Anaheim, LA, and San Jose, I am assuming. 

Would expect that's the Edmonton-Calgary-Vancouver-Seattle trip.

The LA - Anaheim - San Jose trip.

And though it isn't "West Coast" technically, could see them skipping the Colorado - Phoenix - Vegas trip, though that's just a guess.

• Like (+1) 1

I think this is good news.  I think most teams' broadcasters did not travel on road trips for the past 2 seasons due to Covid, and I'd guess that most (but probably not all) are resuming travel this season.

Separately, I know many here don't like Dunleavy, but he's kinda grown on me, and having to call road games from the studio was a pretty substantial handicap for him IMHO.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I think this is good news.  I think most teams' broadcasters did not travel on road trips for the past 2 seasons due to Covid, and I'd guess that most (but probably not all) are resuming travel this season.

Separately, I know many here don't like Dunleavy, but he's kinda grown on me, and having to call road games from the studio was a pretty substantial handicap for him IMHO.

Dan's a modern Ted Darling. Quick... name Ted's most famous call. Dan will be fine when the games are big. He won't make any game bigger, however. So if the team isn't ever good, we won't even get entertainment value from the pbp guy. We are not used to that, and it will (continue to) suck. Sabres, please be good!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • dislike 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Dan's a modern Ted Darling. Quick... name Ted's most famous call. Dan will be fine when the games are big. He won't make any game bigger, however. So if the team isn't ever good, we won't even get entertainment value from the pbp guy. We are not used to that, and it will (continue to) suck. Sabres, please be good!

This is accurate. Rick provided his own category of entertainment. That category is just listed as “N/A” now.

It’s not even a shot at Dan, it’s not his fault, we’ve just lost something that can’t be replaced.

5 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Could someone try to dig up what other broadcast teams do this. Are Sabres the ONLY team doing this?

Do what? 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I wonder how many fans listen to radio broadcasts and how big a revenue stream stream they provide.

Well the game gets broadcast in at least Buffalo & Ra-cha-cha, and in Ra-cha-cha it's broadcast on the FM classic rock station that also carries Bills games.  So, no idea how big of a revenue stream it is but somebody expects it to make money beyond Erie County.  Not sure just how many stations carry the Sabres but doubt Ra-cha-cha is the only 2ndary market.

5 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I don’t know how this is good news unless it is in comparison to no away game travel at all.  Very, very low bar.  I’m sure its good for Terry’s bottom line. It sure isn’t good for the fan that has to suffer through remote coverage of the western swings.

4 minutes ago, Weave said:

I don’t know how this is good news unless it is in comparison to no away game travel at all.  Very, very low bar.  I’m sure its good for Terry’s bottom line. It sure isn’t good for the fan that has to suffer through remote coverage of the western swings.

Yeah, I’m personally not a fan of this… However… I wonder what other teams broadcast crew do this. Or is it only the Sabres crew doing this?

4 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Ted Darling wasn't RJ but he was pretty darn good IMHO.

"He shoots, he scores!"

"And a souvenir for a lovely young fan from Lackawanna."

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Yes -- that is what I meant.

I too would rather have it for all of the games, but how many games are we talking about?  7 or 8?  One or more of which may be on national TV anyway?

I get that it seems like penny-pinching, but it doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

5 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Whether a team is good or not should have no bearing at all on a pbp announcer’s ability to do his job. And if that’s the case with DD, he should be fired immediately. He owes his best to the fans, regardless. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.