GDT Preseason: Flyers @ Sabres 9/27/2022, 7pm, Sabres.com, WGR

LGR4GM

2 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Yeah Lyubushkin is exactly what the doctor ordered on the back end.

He provides an element of rugged defensive play that this unit needed. I consider him more of a third pairing player who isn't going to dazzle anyone but whose brutish defensive style of play was lacking on this team. He was a solid addition who makes this team better.  

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

He provides an element of rugged defensive play that this unit needed. I consider him more of a third pairing player who isn't going to dazzle anyone but whose brutish defensive style of play was lacking on this team. He was a solid addition who makes this team better.  

And he and Pilut seem to be a good shutdown pairing.  I think Pilut's stock is increasing and he may be on the roster opening night.

• Agree 4

22 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

And he and Pilut seem to be a good shutdown pairing.  I think Pilut's stock is increasing and he may be on the roster opening night.

I came back to this thread to say this about Lybushkin and Pilut.

Pilut has played very well and I think many of us (myself included) were sleeping on him. To be a fly on the wall in the Sabres’ office right now…

• Thanks (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I'm not going to describe their play as being at a shutdown level. It's difficult to make that leap in assessment so early. But from what I have seen so far is that two mature defensemen were added to the blue line mix that helps to balance out the unit. I would say that with this pair's addition they help to solidify this young defense corps. As like you, I am pleasantly surprised with Pilut's early play. Whether he starts with the big club or not I'm sure he will be getting playing with Buffalo this season. 

Last year, when the Sabres incurred some injuries this thin team was severely depleted. It now appears that there is a reservoir of depth to draw from when the inevitable injuries happen. KA didn't make a lot of moves this offseason to get outside help. But his few judicious additions have helped to solidify this young and evolving roster. The big question mark is going to be the play of Comri. If the goalie plays well, KA will have had a productive and smart offseason. 

• Like (+1) 1

I’m not really taking anything a player does in the preseason games seriously. Good or bad. They are playing against incomplete teams. As an incomplete team. Not to mention “game shape” is different in September than say November. For me it’s just exhibition or glorified scrimmage against another club.

Edited by Zamboni

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.