GDT Preseason: Flyers @ Sabres 9/27/2022, 7pm, Sabres.com, WGR

LGR4GM

23 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Last year they ran with rookies Krebs, Samuelsson, and Fitzpatrick, while Cozens, Bryson and Asplund were playing their first full seasons. Thompson and Mittlestadt had about 150 NHL games each under their belt.

This ain't Lou Lamiorello's team. I don't think they care about such things.

If the season goes south (goalie performance, etc) that is a recipe for disaster.  Too much youth to keep positive and working in positive ways.

I think even the anti-Lou may realize that you can have too many kids in the lineup at one time.

13 minutes ago, Weave said:

If the season goes south (goalie performance, etc) that is a recipe for disaster.  Too much youth to keep positive and working in positive ways.

I think even the anti-Lou may realize that you can have too many kids in the lineup at one time.

The deciding factor for the Sabres between sticking with a vet or playing an inexperienced youngster is that for this team young players such as Quinn and Peterka are patently better than the jags they are replacing.  I would rather play a younger player than an unproductive experienced such as Eakin. 

26 minutes ago, Weave said:

I think the Sabres think Anderson Okposo Girgensons Hinostroza Lyubushkin are exactly the right type of veterans to keep it steady, and they aren’t worried about the next tier of Thompson, Dahlin, Tuch, or the “kid” leaders like Cozens.

This is a team that has been very deliberate in choosing the types of personalities it wants.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think the Sabres think Anderson Okposo Girgensons Hinostroza Lyubushkin are exactly the right type of veterans to keep it steady, and they aren’t worried about the next tier of Thompson, Dahlin, Tuch, or the “kid” leaders like Cozens.

This is a team that has been very deliberate in choosing the types of personalities it wants.

This is a key factors we should all probably talk more about. A lot of these guys are internally motivated to be better. I think of Kisakov, someone who quite literally left his home country, came to the US barely speaking the language, dealt with a month long immigration issue, and finally got into game action. That's a different type of person at 19 to do all those things. A lot of humble and hungry type of players with the right personalities seem to be added to the team and that includes a lot of recent draft picks. There aren't really any character questions or talk of "needs to stay engage" or "sometimes can take shifts off" that crop up in other players scouting reports. Lots of constant motors with good coachability, and talent. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

The lines are all over the place, but Don Granato said it’s important to work on the pairs now, “We’ve asked a lot of guys to forgo familiarity and ease through training camp and partner up with younger players, but today in the game, specifically on D, these are the guys going back for pucks and these are situations where you can run pretty hard, so the familiarity there is important to me.

“I want to make sure they’re in a good spot, that there is some continuity, you retrieve pucks, you break out of your zone and there’s the potential for physical harm, so that’s an area that I don’t want to mess around with.”

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/sports/sabres/tuesday-is-another-first-for-owen-power

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Based on the lineup proposed, half of those vets wouldn’t be in it to provide support.

• Like (+1) 1

Another thing that perhaps only I find interesting is handedness. I maintain the Sabres do put emphasis on this area contrary to popular belief. The lines as they shake out, by handedness:

L - R - L 

L - R - R 

L - L - R

L - L - L 

L - L

L - R

L - R

L - R

- - - 

There are only 3 players out of 20 on their “off” hand, one of which is a left shot at RW where the centre is a right shot, keeping handedness balance for the line. (4th line could be a function of no right shot being available.)

On D, only Dahlin, a unicorn, plays on the offhand. Exception that proves the rule.

4 hours ago, Taro T said:

There was enough talent to do it after they got healthy last year.

In previous years, rather than doing it as a measure to dictate to the opponent how to play which is what that should be now, it could've been used as a way to mitigate them just getting absolutely collapsed for long stretches.  (Limit the damage when you just don't have enough talent.)

Agree. Reinhart was ready to run his own line long before he ever got the chance 

I had to go look, the Flyers have a prospect named Elliot Desnoyers, which is the same last name as my cousin's ex-husband. I don't think there's any relation, but said ex-husband's claim to fame is he scored on Andy Moog on a breakaway in some junior game, lol.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.