GDT: Preseason Game 1: Buffalo at Washington, 2pm

Marvin

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I'd expect Comrie to get 50, Anderson 20, and UPL 12.

Pretty sure we & the Sabres are all expecting that. But if he ends up Hutton, a platoon with an actual capable UPL would be superior to watching Anderson slowly fail over 40 games.  (And if he ends up Hutton AND UPL is the same we saw last year, Anderson's last year will NOT be pretty.)

Just now, Taro T said:

Pretty sure we & the Sabres are all expecting that. But if he ends up Hutton, a platoon with an actual capable UPL would be superior to watching Anderson slowly fail over 40 games.  (And if he ends up Hutton AND UPL is the same we saw last year, Anderson's last year will NOT be pretty.)

They aren't bringing up upl to backup comrie

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

They aren't bringing up upl to backup comrie

Playing 40 games ISN'T really backing him up.  It's platooning.  And expect he'd get way more out of 40 NHL games than 60 AHL games.

It's likely moot anyway as UPL probably isn't there yet.  (Thus the IF in the OP.)

I agree with @LGR4GM in that there’s no way they’re only playing UPL every 3 or 4 games. Heck, I doubt they want him every 2nd game. They want him shouldering a load.

I think UPL is going to have to outplay Comrie in order to get any extended time in Buffalo.

Where I disagree with him is that Comrie outplaying UPL is a lock.

Its not that I like one and not the other, or that I think Comrie isn’t ahead.

I just think they both have a lot to prove.

20 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I agree with @LGR4GM in that there’s no way they’re only playing UPL every 3 or 4 games. Heck, I doubt they want him every 2nd game. They want him shouldering a load.

I think UPL is going to have to outplay Comrie in order to get any extended time in Buffalo.

Where I disagree with him is that Comrie outplaying UPL is a lock.

Its not that I like one and not the other, or that I think Comrie isn’t ahead.

I just think they both have a lot to prove.

You mind showing us where in the initial post (or any of the subsequent ones either for that matter) that he responded to it was ever stated that UPL would be brought up to play 20 games over the course of the year?

And, it is likely that they'd rather have him getting 60 games in the A than 40 in the NHL.  BUT if he outplayed Anderson AND Comrie falters to Huttonesque play, you really think they're going to tell Okposo, Dahlin, Tuch, Cozens, et al. that it's better for UPL & them for him to stay in the A after earning a callup than for him to bounce up and help them stay in the playoff hunt?

And BTW, this is ALL assuming that UPL's ONE good game is necessarily sustainable.   Not a given at present.  But it would be great if it is.

13 minutes ago, Taro T said:

You mind showing us where in the initial post (or any of the subsequent ones either for that matter) that he responded to it was ever stated that UPL would be brought up to play 20 games over the course of the year?

And, it is likely that they'd rather have him getting 60 games in the A than 40 in the NHL.  BUT if he outplayed Anderson AND Comrie falters to Huttonesque play, you really think they're going to tell Okposo, Dahlin, Tuch, Cozens, et al. that it's better for UPL & them for him to stay in the A after earning a callup than for him to bounce up and help them stay in the playoff hunt?

And BTW, this is ALL assuming that UPL's ONE good game is necessarily sustainable.   Not a given at present.  But it would be great if it is.

@LGR4GM brought it up. Or at least the idea of UPL being a backup.

Just because I’m agreeing with him on something doesn’t automatically mean I’m arguing with you. 😜

• Eyeroll 1

I only watched a small portion of this game. The one takeaway that I had that makes me very happy is that it seems that Cozens is determined to be more offensive minded and willing to shoot than he did last year. That is a good sign. I'm hoping that Mitts will follow the example set by Cozens. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.