Sabres Announce Kevyn Adams Signs Contract Extension

Brawndo

31 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

MATTHEW PEGULA HAS ROLE IN HOCKEY OPS

I mean - that Tweet buried the mufuggin' lede.

He has role?

Did anyone listen to the press conference and get more context?

27 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Fetching coffee for the grownups.

Long may it last.

Let's just hope he doesn't propose something on par with his *****-themed baseball hats.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

He has role?

Did anyone listen to the press conference and get more context?

Long may it last.

Let's just hope he doesn't propose something on par with his *****-themed baseball hats.

If you watch the last two videos they put out, he was sitting in on draft interviews (they showed the Savoie one) he was at the draft table and he was in the war room with Adams and company during Free Agency.

He is mostly taking notes. It might come down to Kim’s situation and he is there to take notes since Terry is away  but Matthew is probably interested in the team and wants to be a part of it.

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

A great example of how using data all by itself is dangerous.  

Did anyone ever feel this organization was being built properly under TM or JBot?  

It’s way too early to make conclusions as the results are going to come slowly, but Adams is resembling a hockey version of Brandon Beane in a lot of ways. 

Agree with all of this. I take a simplistic view of things. Look at the Sabres organization (roster, coaching staff, scouting and development) each year under TM, JB and KA. Would you trade any of them for where the Sabres are today? For me the answer is no. That is a better evaluation method than purely points, IMPO. 

10 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

If you watch the last two videos they put out, he was sitting in on draft interviews (they showed the Savoie one) he was at the draft table and he was in the war room with Adams and company during Free Agency.

He is mostly taking notes. It might come down to Kim’s situation and he is there to take notes since Terry is away  but Matthew is probably interested in the team and wants to be a part of it.

This is helpful - appreciate that. 

He's not a kid anymore. He's probably in his mid-20s by now. I'm not sure what the family's succession plan is (and whether Kim's health has accelerated it), but it stands to reason that he'd be mentored to act in an ownership capacity.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

Regarding Matt Pegula … What it probably is… vs. what some people want to believe it is… Are most likely two different things.

You want to believe it's probably one thing. You're no different than those who want to believe he's in junior meddling training.

Why don't we deal with the facts?

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

My day could have been a good one had you used lead instead. Thanks for mutton.

18 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

@Taro T

The Sabres best season under TM 81 pts in 82 games.  Fired after one more season

The Sabres best season under Jbot 68 pts in 69 games. Fired after the season

The Sabres best season under KA 75 pts in 82 games.  Given an extention.

Seriously? Read between the lines and make an educated prediction based on something other than what a five-year-old could gleam from his Mama's phone. 

2 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

So what is his role?

Son of the owners and one of the heirs to succession learning the family business. This is not at all uncommon in pro sports. In fact it’s the norm for owners and/or team executives with children. Also, does it occur to anyone that Matthew Pegula was invited to be in the room at the table?

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

So what is his role?

Found a link to the presser (below). The guy whose Tweet I posted had things twisted. I'll know to take his content with a grain of salt going forward.

The questions come, in essence: (1) Does your extension reflect that your duties have temporarily expanded to include Kim's duties as President of the Sabres and relatedly (2) has Matthew Pegula been elevated to "any official role" especially given what we saw in the embed-videos at the draft? (Hat tip to the poster who pointed that out to me.)

Adams responds first re Matthew substantially as follows: Matthew's a great kid. It's amazing to see him now given how young he was when the Pegulas bought the team. I've told Matt and all the Pegula kids: My door is always open. Come see me. You can be with me whenever you want - practice, games, road trips. Sabres FO transparency with the entire Pegula family is important - "they" own the team and hopefully they're excited to be involved with us and the team. ... So, "nothing's changed" with Matthew. He spends time with Brandon Beane as well.

Edited by That Aud Smell
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

That probably is the role.

40 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

My day could have been a good one had you used lead instead. Thanks for mutton.

It's lede.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Found a link to the presser (below). The guy whose Tweet I posted had things twisted. I'll know to take his content with a grain of salt going forward.

The questions come, in essence: (1) Does your extension reflect that your duties have temporarily expanded to include Kim's duties as President of the Sabres and relatedly (2) has Matthew Pegula been elevated to "any official role" especially given what we saw in the embed-videos at the draft? (Hat tip to the poster who pointed that out to me.)

Adams responds first re Matthew substantially as follows: Matthew's a great kid. It's amazing to see him now given how young he was when the Pegulas bought the team. I've told Matt and all the Pegula kids: My door is always open. Come see me. You can be with me whenever you want - practice, games, road trips. Sabres FO transparency with the entire Pegula family is important - "they" own the team and hopefully they're excited to be involved with us and the team. ... So, "nothing's changed" with Matthew. He spends time with Brandon Beane as well.

The owners kids spend time and/or have an open invite to both Adams and Beane? 🤔 

Sounds like the GM’s either like wasting time in their already busy and long days,  or they don’t want the Pegula kiddies crying to mommy and daddy that Mr GM isn’t playing nice with them.  😂😂😂

Honestly, I think it's too early.  There's a fair argument that waiting until the end of the season leaves Adams holding all the cards or whatever, but that argument presupposes that he'd have other offers AND makes the mistaken assumption that there are only two choices, now and June.

I have liked a lot of his moves, but there are some missed opportunities, too, and the goaltending situation is still a huge problem several years into his tenure.

I would have preferred to see how Comrie works out; if so, extend Adams, if not, see what Adams does to fix it.  The early months of 2023 would have been a fine time to evaluate and extend/not.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

The owners kids spend time and/or have an open invite to both Adams and Beane? 🤔 

Sounds like the GM’s either like wasting time in their already busy and long days,  or they don’t want the Pegula kiddies crying to mommy and daddy that Mr GM isn’t playing nice with them.  😂😂😂

How do you read that from the statement that was made?  He can be there. It doesn't mean he's Buddy the Elf.

The results on the ice have been inconclusive, though they seem pointed in the right direction.

But that's not all Terry and Kim care about.

The results in the market have been good: the media have largely bought in and the results are showing in ticket sales, attendance at fan events and the general buzz in the community — in the streets and on-line. It's amazing how far attitudes have come in just a year.

And the results inside the building seem to be outstanding: we're attracting and keeping off-ice talent and people seem to like working for the Buffalo Sabres. If you don't believe the words coming out of the mouths of players like Tuch, Cozens, Dahlin, Thompson, Anderson, Hinostroza and Okposo, go back and watch Jerry Forton's interview at the end of the draft again.

I think it's pretty standard in the NHL for an owner to extend a GM going into the final year of his contract if he's happy with the job being done.

It's not much more complicated than that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

No, it was mostly because he sucked at his job. Krueger was one of the worst hires in pro sports history. Botts was sucked in by his family connections to Krueger. Utter disaster. If the only thing Adams did was fire Krueger I would still rate him higher than Botts

Facts support the idea that Botterill was fired because he would not go along with the Pegulas’ organizational restructuring (massive firings).  At the time of the firings, the Pegulas stated this quite plainly.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/one-year-later-inside-jason-botterills-final-days-as-sabres-general-manager/article_2c4842b4-d04a-11eb-939f-6be7ef3c39cd.amp.html

“Terry Pegula acknowledged following the firings that a disagreement with Botterill led to the decision, saying, “We as owners had a vision to where we need to go in these uncertain times. We don’t know if we’re going to have fans next year and what not as far as competitive sports go. Looking ahead, we need to make some adjustments in the business side of our operations that we provide that foresight to the organization. We felt like we weren’t being heard. I’m not going to sit here and dish on Jason Botterill, but we have a vision and we want to see our vision succeed."”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

What The Wtf GIF by Justin

17 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Except the NHL is made up of 58% CHL graduates (as of 2021/22 opening night).  8 of 27 picks is under 30%

Now compare both to TM who drafted 13 CHL players in 25 picks or 52%.  

Consider how much better we drafted under Jbot and now KA taking significantly less CHL players, I'd say limiting CHL drafting has considerable merit.

37% of the players selected in the 2020, 2021, and 2022 NHL drafts were from the CHL.  248 of 666

That’s pretty close to KA’s 30%.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.