Sabres Announce Kevyn Adams Signs Contract Extension

Brawndo

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Yup.  This is a faith based extension, not a results based one.

We’ll see where it goes….

Pretty much everything the Sabres have done since Krueger was fired has been the result of faith in people and a plan.

This is simply more of the same.

It's a different look for professional sports.

Even if it wasn't the Sabres, I'd like to see it succeed.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

didn’t build the organization.

By the way that isn't correct.  Unlike TM before him, Jbot made Rochester a consistent winner with the goal of the prospects gaining experience and learning to win in the A before coming to the NHL. Unfortunately TM left the cupboard of prospects pretty bare. 

He also drafted well.  He only had 18 picks in his 3 seasons.  5 of those players currently have significant roles with the Sabres, another 6 are in the A including well liked late round picks Cederqvist and Rousek.  Another 3 are still in college and all are considered legit NHL prospects.  I would say that doing a good job of building the pipeline and helping to build the organization.  He also acquired Thompson, Skinner and Jokiharju. He also signed Pilut, who may make the Sabres in camp.  

I understand the Jbot dislike, but to say he didn't improve the organization simply isn't true.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

By the way that isn't correct.  Unlike TM before him, Jbot made Rochester a consistent winner with the goal of the prospects gaining experience and learning to win in the A before coming to the NHL. Unfortunately TM left the cupboard of prospects pretty bare. 

He also drafted well.  He only had 18 picks in his 3 seasons.  5 of those players currently have significant roles with the Sabres, another 6 are in the A including well liked late round picks Cederqvist and Rousek.  Another 3 are still in college and all are considered legit NHL prospects.  I would say that doing a good job of building the pipeline and helping to build the organization.  He also acquired Thompson, Skinner and Jokiharju. He also signed Pilut, who may make the Sabres in camp.  

I understand the Jbot dislike, but to say he didn't improve the organization simply isn't true.

And had he been even remotely effective at selecting an NHL coach we might still be wondering what he has against CHLers & Russians.  😉

Were it not for Rolston, he'd have picked the worst HC in team history & then followed that up with the guy who would've been the 2nd worst.

Just now, Taro T said:

And had he been even remotely effective at selecting an NHL coach we might still be wondering what he has against CHLers & Russians.  😉

Were it not for Rolston, he'd have picked the worst HC in team history & then followed that up with the guy who would've been the 2nd worst.

The chl bias from Botterill looks even funnier in retrospect when we immediately have drafted later round chl guys like Bloom, Kozak etc who look to have legit shots at NHL futures 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Ultimately, his coaching picks and NHL roster decisions were his undoing, but even then we didn't know how really terrible RK was until year 2 and KA gave him Hall, Staal, etc... and the whole thing imploded.

To KA's credit he picked the right coach, but has done a better job of bringing in talent since the mess in year one.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

Ultimately, his coaching picks and NHL roster decisions were his undoing, but even then we didn't know how really terrible RK was until year 2 and KA gave him Hall, Staal, etc... and the whole thing imploded.

To KA's credit he picked the right coach, but has done a better job of bringing in talent since the mess in year one.  

His poor track record for results was ultimately a result of his coaching picks and roster decisions, but again, his undoing was an unwillingness to work on a significantly trimmed staff. 

32 minutes ago, Thorny said:

The chl bias from Botterill looks even funnier in retrospect when we immediately have drafted later round chl guys like Bloom, Kozak etc who look to have legit shots at NHL futures 

Jbot was of the mindset to get prospects outside of the 1st round with a longer lead time until they had to signed.  I think this strategy has considerable merit.  It has allowed guys like Cederqvist, Rousek, Huglen and others to develop at their own pace.  A total ban on CHL I agree is foolish, but staggering when prospects need to be signed is smart.  Even KA and company use this in their drafting.  Only 6 CHL players have been drafted by KA in this 3 drafts outside the 1st rd (and only 2 of 6 there).  4 of the 5 came in the COVID draft, and I think that stemmed from a lack of scouting in many places.  

If you break his drafting out side of the 1st rd you see

All 3 CHL leagues - 6 (Q - 3, W - 2. O -1) Also Komarov may not be subject to the typical CHL rules (like Nylander wasn't).

Russia - 5

Sweden - 5

NCAA/USHL - 1

Other Europe - 3

other NA juniors - 1

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Jbot was of the mindset to get prospects outside of the 1st round with a longer lead time until they had to signed.  I think this strategy has considerable merit.  It has allowed guys like Cederqvist, Rousek, Huglen and others to develop at their own pace.  A total ban on CHL I agree is foolish, but staggering when prospects need to be signed is smart.  Even KA and company use this in their drafting.  Only 5 CHL players have been drafted by KA in this 3 drafts outside the 1st rd (and only 2 of 6 there).  4 of the 5 came in the COVID draft, and I think that stemmed from a lack of scouting in many places.  

If you break his drafting out side of the 1st rd you see

All 3 CHL leagues - 6 (Q - 3, W - 2. O -1) Also Komarov may not be subject to the typical CHL rules (like Nylander wasn't).

Russia - 5

Sweden - 5

NCAA/USHL - 1

Other Europe - 3

other NA juniors - 1

Not sure if you are trying to convince me specifically, I agree spreading out where you pick from is good. 

There’s no merit to Botterill’s theory b/c Botterill’s theory wasn’t to spread out the picks and be sure to have some with 4 years of track to work with. It WAS an outright ban on CHL players outside of round 1. We selected zero CHL players outside the first, and 1 total. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Adams has selected 8 CHL players. 

Botterill selected 1. There’s no comparison. 

Except the NHL is made up of 58% CHL graduates (as of 2021/22 opening night).  8 of 27 picks is under 30%

Now compare both to TM who drafted 13 CHL players in 25 picks or 52%.  

Consider how much better we drafted under Jbot and now KA taking significantly less CHL players, I'd say limiting CHL drafting has considerable merit.

13 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Except the NHL is made up of 58% CHL graduates (as of 2021/22 opening night).  8 of 27 picks is under 30%

Now compare both to TM who drafted 13 CHL players in 25 picks or 52%.  

Consider how much better we drafted under Jbot and now KA taking significantly less CHL players, I'd say limiting CHL drafting has considerable merit.

You realize undrafted CHL players play in the NHL too, right? You constantly do this where you arbitrarily parse and parse the numbers to eliminate everything you don’t think should count so you can get to the number you want. Cutting down the sample size to as small as you can get it to make your point (“oh, these guys don’t count cause they came in a covid year so I’m going to assume it was due to the lack of scouting which was for some reason more lacking in a destination easier to get to”) makes your argument more and more frivolous rather than looking at the more revelatory macro. Adams has 8 CHL selections. 29% of his selections (6 of 21) outside round 1 have been from the CHL. Botterill selected 0% of his picks from the CHL after round 1. 

0% to 29%. Last I checked that was a rather noteworthy statistical difference. Adams has selected more CHL players than he has players from any other league. Botterill didn’t selected CHL players at all. 

Adams takes, perhaps, slightly less CHL players than average. Botterill took SIGNIFICANTLY less than average. He took the least of anyone, in fact. You are saying the guy who sees 9 movies in the theatre a year when the average is 10 is close to the guy who went not at all because he was also below average. 

This isn’t now math works, I’m sorry. Again, Botterill’s strategy wasn’t to limit CHL picks. His strategy was to AVOID the CHL. The numbers bear that out, and the numbers are more relevant than your argument.

Edited by Thorny

6 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Seriously?  Didn't Josh lead the Bills to multiple playoff appearances before being extended?  How many playoff appearances has KA lead us to?

You do know the differences between the NFL and the NHL, especially how much further along in their development NFL players are when they're drafted.

Right?

6 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Adams walked into an awful situation with no experience

I know he hadn't be an NHL GM before, but to say he had "no experience" is a bit harsh.  He'd worked through several different departments in the development, business and operations phases of the organization prior to being promoted from within.  And perhaps more importantly, he had experience with how to communicate with the team's owners which is apparently a very critical skill in this case.

XGMTM and JBot had GM experience but no Pegula experience and ultimately I believe that's why they failed.

31 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

You do know the differences between the NFL and the NHL, especially how much further along in their development NFL players are when they're drafted.

Right?

I didn't make the analogy.  Someone else compared extending KA's deal to extending Josh's.  All I said was Josh had lead us to the playoffs before being extended.  Not only are the sports apples to oranges, but so is comparing GM to player.  

9 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I think it’s fair to say JB improved the organization in some respects, but not overall.  None of the roster, its results on the ice, the FO, the coaching staff, the scouting staff or the team’s reputation were any better when he left than when he arrived.  Some of those elements were undoubtedly worse.

And while he did add a number of quality pieces, many of those, e.g. Dahlin, Cozens and TT were available due to his poor performance as GM.

Overall he gets a D.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

14 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

@Taro T

The Sabres best season under TM 81 pts in 82 games.  Fired after one more season

The Sabres best season under Jbot 68 pts in 69 games. Fired after the season

The Sabres best season under KA 75 pts in 82 games.  Given an extention.

A great example of how using data all by itself is dangerous.  

Did anyone ever feel this organization was being built properly under TM or JBot?  

It’s way too early to make conclusions as the results are going to come slowly, but Adams is resembling a hockey version of Brandon Beane in a lot of ways. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Seriously?  Didn't Josh lead the Bills to multiple playoff appearances before being extended?  How many playoff appearances has KA lead us to?

Well you also milk the rookie contract as long as you can... but Josh got extended a year early because obviously the price was going up if we waited

15 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

@Taro T

The Sabres best season under TM 81 pts in 82 games.  Fired after one more season

The Sabres best season under Jbot 68 pts in 69 games. Fired after the season

The Sabres best season under KA 75 pts in 82 games.  Given an extention.

The Sabres were going nowhere under the first 2 clowns.  And there seemed to be other issues.

The Sabres are going in the right direction and KA has kept his nose clean.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.