Sabres Announce Kevyn Adams Signs Contract Extension

Brawndo

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

So you want him fired too because your boy Botterill got canned after refusing to restructure the scouting department?

You didn't answer the question of are you fine having Adams become a free agent at the end of this season & THEN negotiating a new deal with him?

Because, either he gets a new deal now or after he holds all the cards should the Pegulas want to re-sign him.

1 minute ago, Flashsabre said:

Your point makes no sense. These guys didn’t all start at the same point and it isn’t just about numbers it is about building and running an organization the right way.

Murray was fired because he was an a&&hole on top of not being great at his job. Botts made bad hires and didn’t build the organization.

Adams walked into an awful situation with no experience and has made chicken salad so far out of chicken sh$t. The Pegulas trust him and want him around.

No, why not wait until the plan shows it's actually working and the team become competitive.  Give him a one year extension for now then a multi year once the team actually moves up in the standings.

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

No, why not wait until the plan shows it's actually working and the team become competitive.  Give him a one year extension for now then a multi year once the team actually moves up in the standings.

Already said above why the GM should be under contract for 2 more years than the current year rather than just 1.  Why you so concerned about saving the Pegulas $'s if things go sideways?

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

Mostly because the Pegulas trust him. They have been thru a decade of dysfunction and finally have their guy they trust and can communicate with. Things finally look like they are on the right track.

You are right that the results haven’t come yet but I think the Pegulas are happy with the way things are heading and want stability finally with someone they trust, especially with Kim’s situation.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I support this. 

I had a sneaking suspicion that he might move upstairs to a role of President of Hockey Ops at some point due to the complications with Kim’s health…and this extension doesn’t preclude that.

But, to me it shows that KA wants to be the GM and I’m onboard.  

Kim was never a hockey president. If anyone, that's Terry. Ideally it's really Kevyn's side gig.

++ The GM carousel will no longer be of any concern to us. I've just received word that the Emperor has hired himself permanently. The last remnants of the tanks have been swept away.
--- That's impossible! How will the Emperor maintain control without the suffering?
+++ The scouts, coach, and players pipeline now have direct control over the future. Wins will keep the fans in line. Wins by this new core.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

Your point makes no sense. These guys didn’t all start at the same point and it isn’t just about numbers it is about building and running an organization the right way.

Murray was fired because he was an a&&hole on top of not being great at his job. Botts made bad hires and didn’t build the organization.

Adams walked into an awful situation with no experience and has made chicken salad so far out of chicken sh$t. The Pegulas trust him and want him around.

Botts was fired because he wouldn’t fire as many people as KA would.

• Thanks (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Botts was fired because he wouldn’t fire as many people as KA would.

No, it was mostly because he sucked at his job. Krueger was one of the worst hires in pro sports history. Botts was sucked in by his family connections to Krueger. Utter disaster. If the only thing Adams did was fire Krueger I would still rate him higher than Botts

Edited by Flashsabre

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

@Taro T

The Sabres best season under TM 81 pts in 82 games.  Fired after one more season

The Sabres best season under Jbot 68 pts in 69 games. Fired after the season

The context is different with Adams compared to the other GMs you cited. KA essentially rebuilt the roster by jettisoning the old core and replacing it with a new core and futures. Not only did he reconstitute the roster in relatively short order, he also dramatically overhauled the organization by bringing in a new staff. Adams has done a marvelous job in remaking the roster in short order. But in my view his biggest accomplishment is rebuilding the organization so that this franchise is now coherently and smartly being run. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The context is different with Adams compared to the other GMs you cited. KA essentially rebuilt the roster by jettisoning the old core and replacing it with a new core and futures. Not only did he reconstitute the roster in relatively short order, he also dramatically overhauled the organization by bringing in a new staff. Adams has done a marvelous job in remaking the roster in short order. But in my view his biggest accomplishment is rebuilding the organization so that this franchise is now coherently and smartly being run. 

Yes, but that doesn’t mean anything until we see results on the ice in the NHL.  I’m as bullish as anyone on the direction of the team, the depth in the pipeline and the improved organization.  I have nothing against a long-term extension, but I think it’s was premature considering we are still near the bottom of the NHL in the standings. If this year go as I hope, then by all means give KA a long term extension as a reward for accomplishing what his predecessors failed to do.  So far that’s not the case.  

Don’t forget Jbot also improved the drafting, improved the AHL and eliminated many pieces of dead weight from the roster.  That couldn’t overcome bad coaching choices, some bad trades and other issues.  

KA has done many good things, but the failure to fix the goaltending is a huge hole in his resume that can also sink rebuild 3.0.  I’d have waited one more year before giving the extension.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

11 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Pretty sure the roster is still as much if not more so Botterill’s/Murray’s. He’s rebuilding the pipeline and some of the roster but “rebuilt” is an overstatement when looking at the actual on ice team 

Im not saying he’s not in the process of doing it, but we can’t give him credit for doing it in “short order” when...he hasn’t done it yet 

Edited by Thorny

2 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Mostly because the Pegulas trust him. They have been thru a decade of dysfunction and finally have their guy they trust and can communicate with. Things finally look like they are on the right track.

You are right that the results haven’t come yet but I think the Pegulas are happy with the way things are heading and want stability finally with someone they trust, especially with Kim’s situation.

This is what I think.  The analytics department is built up.  The atmosphere around the club is better.  The play of our youngsters and prospects implies the scouting has improved.  I think Kim's health plays a large part in this.

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Pretty sure the roster is still as much if not more so Botterill’s/Murray’s. He’s rebuilding the pipeline and some of the roster but “rebuilt” is an overstatement when looking at the actual on ice team 

Im not saying he’s not in the process of doing it, but we can’t give him credit for doing it in “short order” when...he hasn’t done it yet 

The best feature of KA as a GM is that he didn't allow his ego to dominate his personnel decisions. He didn't demolish everything associated with the prior regimes for the reason of establishing his own footprint. He dealt the old core and got back assets. He kept the right assets that were acquired by the prior GMs and started adding to them. And for his deftness in player and organizational decisions I give him a lot of credit. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Yes, but that doesn’t mean anything until we see results on the ice in the NHL.  I’m as bullish as anyone on the direction of the team, the depth in the pipeline and the improved organization.  I have nothing against a long-term extension, but I think it’s was premature considering we are still near the bottom of the NHL in the standings. If this year go as I hope, then by all means give KA a long term extension as a reward for accomplishing what his predecessors failed to do.  So far that’s not the case.  

Don’t forget Jbot also improved the drafting, improved the AHL and eliminated many pieces of dead weight from the roster.  That couldn’t overcome bad coaching choices, some bad trades and other issues.  

KA has done many good things, but the failure to fix the goaltending is a huge hole in his resume that can also sink rebuild 3.0.  I’d have waited one more year before giving the extension.

Let me start of by saying that the both of us have been critical regarding how he has handled the goaltending position. Just maybe with the addition of Comrie and Levi in the pipeline that issue won't linger too long as a problem. 

As I stated in my response to @Thornyhe didn't simply undo the work of the prior GMs. He made some alterations where he kept the right assets that they acquired and dealt and got a reasonable return from other assets that needed to be moved in order to reconstitute the roster. Overall, if you include his remaking of the organization you have to acknowledge that he has done a tremendous job in a short period of time. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

Let me start of by saying that the both of us have been critical regarding how he has handled the goaltending position. Just maybe with the addition of Comrie and Levi in the pipeline that issue won't linger too long as a problem. 

As I stated in my response to @Thornyhe didn't simply undo the work of the prior GMs. He made some alterations where he kept the right assets that they acquired and dealt and got a reasonable return from other assets that needed to be moved in order to reconstitute the roster. Overall, if you include his remaking of the organization you have to acknowledge that he has done a tremendous job in a short period of time. 

Unquestionably, his biggest mark at the NHL level has been what he removed, much more so than what he has brought in. The argument is there that the removal allowed a lot of what we already had to flourish. Aided of course by Adams and his team, say, shepherding Thompson into his proper role. The real work begins with the drafted/to be drafted talent that’s supposed to take us from no longer outright bad but still below mediocre to playoff contending - some of which should hopefully begin to show this year ala Quinn etc. But the point remains that the point totals have more less been reflective of the fact the on ice roster *hasn’t* undergone any quick change or revamp. Quick visual aid:

F36B3929-D32D-4AC2-9D66-A46F06DA1B5B.thumb.jpeg.30fe2d9919b7e4eedbb42766b1ef3f39.jpeg

481AE1AE-FC1B-4C72-B794-8C72A2D82641.thumb.jpeg.751ba40739334932cf2fad65840a2046.jpeg

red circles are Adams guys

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

Define results. Playoffs? Then no. Improved culture, roster, prospect pool, competence level? Absolutely.

The same definition the league we are playing in uses: the Standings.

Culture and competence level are subjective metrics used to explain or predict the results we hope to see. They don’t actually measure results.

Improved roster and prospect pool are two things that hopefully translate to results, but until that actually happens it’s just projection.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

The same definition the league we are playing in uses: the Standings.

Culture and competence level are subjective metrics used to explain or predict the results we hope to see. They don’t actually measure results.

Improved roster and prospect pool are two things that hopefully translate to results, but until that actually happens it’s just projection.

Thus this contract was premature.

Also 4/6 of the D were drafted or acquired by the hated Jbot, plus our 2 top goal scorers, and our next 2 centers. 

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Thus this contract was premature.

Also 4/6 of the D were drafted or acquired by the hated Jbot, plus our 2 top goal scorers, and our next 2 centers. 

Honestly, I’m not saying I’m counting myself in that camp. 

Merely posted a factual statement 🤷‍♂️

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.