Annual expectations thread 2022/23: #74 Rasmus Asplund

dudacek

What do you expect from Rasmus Asplund?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these best describes what you think the Sabres will get from Asplund this year?

• 30-plus points and defensively reliable play as a roster regular
    • Good defence, but less than 10 goals and 25 points as a role player
    • A spare part who will play most of the time because of injuries to others, but not make much of an impact

Victor Olofsson is known to be Asplund’s best friend on the Sabres. So maybe it shouldn’t be a surprise that his season mirrored the older Swede’s in that he started (12 points in 19 games) strong offensively, then sucked badly in mid-season, going through a very painful 1-goal-in-55-games drought.

Fortunately, his overall point total of 27 was decent for a player who was essentially a rookie, and his defence stayed strong; he led the team with a 52.8 % ES Corsi. Somewhat surprisingly, he ranked just 6th in SH ice time among the team’s forwards. He scored 6 goals to lead Sweden in the World Championships this spring, but does not have a history as a goal scorer at any level.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=176326

Asplund kinda gets overlooked in the crowd of developing players who benefited when Ralph passed the baton to Donnie. Like many others, he became a full-time NHLer for the first time after Ralph was fired. Under Donnie, he’s been a 10-goal, 30-point player per 82 games, who has been among the team’s most reliable defensive forwards.

A 35-point defensively stout 3C was kinda what was hoped for when Asplund was drafted, although he has rarely played centre in the NHL. He isn’t talked about much any more as player with room for development, but he has played only 137 NHL games, 80 of them last year.

What do you expect from Rasmus Asplund?

(Last year’s takes here):

I think he gets 30 points. I like that he got some Selke talk last year, I hope he builds on that as he won’t be a 20G 25A forward on this team. He could be like Lehkonen was for the Avs in the playoffs, solid two way play, speedy forechecker and timely secondary scoring.

I wish he would be able to play C at this level and cement a role as the 4C and 1PK unit.

Option 1 here. 

He’s averaged 29 points per 82 over the last 2 seasons, got up to 80gp last year, and is still only 24. I don’t think he comes in below 25 points with health. Prob ~ 30, and very useful as a defensively sound presence either at W or C if lined up with more offensively focused players 

Edited by Thorny

I like his defensive game compared to many of our players so he's a reasonably decent 2 way player. Fits in for the time being but eventually I see him dropping down the line up. He's really just Mr. Average imo. I doubt he plays much better than we've already seen, but likely won't play much worse either. 

Skinner - Thompson - Olofsson

Peterka - Cozens - Tuch

Mittelstadt - Krebs - Okposo

Quinn - Asplund - Hinostroza

...is an example of lines I’d find fun, where Asplund plays a prominent role. Asplund is the new Larsson, I wouldn’t be hesitant to have out there at any time/spot D-wise. If, just as an example, Quinn and Hinostroza find some chemistry, we could easily be in a roll 4 lines situation.

Asplund seems like a good team guy, and he's a good skater, and he has good chemistry with VO, but I think his offensive toolbox is pretty limited.  I'd expect 25ish points, with some pressure on his spot in the lineup if Quinn and JJP can deliver the goods, although he'll probably end up playing most of the time due to injuries.

I'm not as high on Asplund as many others are, even in a bottom 6 role.  He doesn't have that edge to his game that you see from a successful 4th liner, and doesn't have the offensive upside I want from a 3rd liner.  That said I see him getting his games this season because the Sabres don't have a ton of NHL ready forwards pushing for open spots.  

On 9/17/2022 at 2:21 PM, Thorny said:

Skinner - Thompson - Olofsson

Peterka - Cozens - Tuch

Mittelstadt - Krebs - Okposo

Quinn - Asplund - Hinostroza

...is an example of lines I’d find fun, where Asplund plays a prominent role. Asplund is the new Larsson, I wouldn’t be hesitant to have out there at any time/spot D-wise. If, just as an example, Quinn and Hinostroza find some chemistry, we could easily be in a roll 4 lines situation.

I don't like seeing Quinn buried on that line.  Asplund can center in emergencies but not by design.  

I wonder about the offence.

I am an Asplund fan - the smarts and hustle are topnotch - but he’s never scored enough at any level to suggest he will up here. You can’t cement yourself in the top 9 with 25 point seasons. 35 maybe.

He’s young enough to show more than he has, but I fear he’s probably headed for a Girgensons-like career.

• Thanks (+1) 1

I don’t have any worry at all about Asplund’s ability to be a defensively reliable C. Hinostroza was one of the best per-minute point producers we had last year apparently, the point of the line configuration was to show that, if Quinn hits it off offensively with the other winger on his line, the line being completed with a defensively solid player in Asplund would allow that line to be rolled with the rest. 

Not everyone can winger Thompson. And seeing Quinn and the other winger against bottom of the barrel matchups while his C holds down the defensive side of the equation is a viable option.

30 points is more than enough from Asplund if the line isn’t giving it back defensively. 

Net output, not raw offensive. 

Edited by Thorny

I have come to really like Asplund.  He is unique on the Sabres in that he is tremendous defensive forward.  In addition he seems to grow each year offensively and always seems to have excellent  chemistry with Mitts. I think his production grows again this season regardless of which line he plays on.  If used mostly as a defensive forward, I can see low 30’s in points with about 10 goals.  If he gets more Ozone time and is teamed with Mitts or Cozens, then I see 15 goals and closer to 40 points. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I have come to really like Asplund.  He is unique on the Sabres in that he is tremendous defensive forward.  In addition he seems to grow each year offensively and always seems to have excellent  chemistry with Mitts. I think his production grows again this season regardless of which line he plays on.  If used mostly as a defensive forward, I can see low 30’s in points with about 10 goals.  If he gets more Ozone time and is teamed with Mitts or Cozens, then I see 15 goals and closer to 40 points. 

I'm the same. I really like him. He's a good role player and complimentary piece to whatever line he is on. 

I think/hope he's going to be a core piece of Buffalo for years to come and will be one of those guys that, when we look back on the "team of the 20s," he's going to be remembered as this team's Jochen Hecht.

• 1 month later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.