Preseason Sabres Power Rankings (low)

JoeSchmoe

Andrew Copp and Dylan Cozens are really interesting to compare. Copp in the last 2 years has rocked a 0.28gpg and a 0.72ppg where Cozens last year comes in with a 0.17gpg and a 0.48ppg. Copp was 26 and 27 in those years and just turned 28. Cozens was 20 last year primarily and will be 21 this year (until February). It is worth noting that Copp had .9g and 1.4a per 60 compared to Cozens at .6g and 1.2a per 60 so when adjusting for TOI the numbers edge closer. Realistically then can we hope/expect Cozens to play at 21 near the level Copp is offensively at 28? I want to argue yes. Cozens has only played 120 games compared to Copps 555 so I would hope Cozens hasn't hit his ceiling yet. I bring all this up because the idea that Detroit is better hinges somewhat on the 2nd line. Skinner- Tage - Tuch matches well with Detroits top line but the 2nd line of ???? - Cozens - ???? can match well with detroits 2nd line. For example Mitts - Cozens - Olofsson would really have as much potential as Detroit. 

I wrote all of this because I wanted to get to the 3rd line where I think Buffalo really starts to tilt the table. If Mitts - Cozens - Olofsson can be equivalent to Detroit than when we get to the 3rd line we can be truly better.  Quinn - Asplund?Krebs? - Okposo easily has more potential than DOMINIK KUBALIK- PIUS SUTER- FILIP ZADINA as realistically Quinn should top Zadina's 30ish points (yes, he should), Asplund Krebs should get 40 like Suter, and than Okposo is easily matching Kubalik IMPO. 

Idk, this was really just a thought exercise for me. If Cozens breaks out and Mitts stays healthy the 2nd line could be great. If Quinn is what he looks like and Krebs or Asplund hold down that 3rd line center option, we are sitting pretty. Should be interesting but at worst I see parity with Detroit. 

Something I’d like to throw in for Liger’s argument. If your point totals are accurate, that would give Detroit a high end forward group. Last year, 159 forwards hit 40 points or more, which averages to just under 5 a team. This would give them 7+ forwards. 40 points from a third liner is really good. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, sabresparaavida said:

Something I’d like to throw in for Liger’s argument. If your point totals are accurate, that would give Detroit a high end forward group. Last year, 159 forwards hit 40 points or more, which averages to just under 5 a team. This would give them 7+ forwards. 40 points from a third liner is really good. 

Good point, I might be overly generous to that 3rd line of Detroit. 

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

If you want to have some fun google predictions for the post lockout season and see what people thought of us (Spoiler alert: Very similar to what they are saying right now).

That's likely because most people have written us off after all this time as irrelevant. Perennial losers. A non factor. I would bet most people outside of Buffalo fans would probably have trouble naming more than 2 or 3 players on the roster if any at all. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.