OT - Queen Elizabeth Has Passed Away

Sabres Fan in NS

1 hour ago, SDS said:

I don’t know if people are dancing around the topic due to her death, I will not.

Regardless if Elizabeth was a good person who had admirable qualities, the notion of “royal blood“ and hereditary monarchy is vile. Abhorrent. Appalling. 

You’re labeled a king or a queen because of some family tyrant murdered people before you? ***** you. You think your blood is any different than anyone else on earth? ***** you. You think you deserve to ***** on a golden throne by birthright? ***** you.

In the year 2022, this concept is entirely disgusting and it has been for decades.

There is some hope the children are seeing this farcical cosplay horseshit for what it is and will reject it. Let’s hope we see Buckingham palace turn into a Spirit Halloween in our lifetime. Good riddance to this trash.

Hereditary monarchy is eugenics adjacent. When you start elevating the genes of one person over another, it leads to bad outcomes.

I respectfully disagree with you on account of the fact that monarchies are about as old as civilization itself. Even if any of us look upon the Scriptures just from a historical perspective, monarchs have always been around. Even if we add republics into the equation, that form of government has also had wise and foolish rulers. Nonetheless, regardless of what form of government a country has, some ordinary people will be happy while others will not.

10 minutes ago, FogBat said:

I respectfully disagree with you on account of the fact that monarchies are about as old as civilization itself. Even if any of us look upon the Scriptures just from a historical perspective, monarchs have always been around. Even if we add republics into the equation, that form of government has also had wise and foolish rulers. Nonetheless, regardless of what form of government a country has, some ordinary people will be happy while others will not.

You’re drawing from the same vein when talking about scriptures. 

2 hours ago, SDS said:

I don’t know if people are dancing around the topic due to her death, I will not.

Regardless if Elizabeth was a good person who had admirable qualities, the notion of “royal blood“ and hereditary monarchy is vile. Abhorrent. Appalling. 

You’re labeled a king or a queen because of some family tyrant murdered people before you? ***** you. You think your blood is any different than anyone else on earth? ***** you. You think you deserve to ***** on a golden throne by birthright? ***** you.

In the year 2022, this concept is entirely disgusting and it has been for decades.

There is some hope the children are seeing this farcical cosplay horseshit for what it is and will reject it. Let’s hope we see Buckingham palace turn into a Spirit Halloween in our lifetime. Good riddance to this trash.

Hereditary monarchy is eugenics adjacent. When you start elevating the genes of one person over another, it leads to bad outcomes.

A bit harsh in an RIP thread, but yeah, I agree.  Even moreso considering the butchery this lineage used to maintain the legacy over the ages.

1 hour ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

The Irish are happy now.  Even in the North.  There is some treaty or other.

Stay out of Twitter if you want to maintain that opinion.

1 hour ago, FogBat said:

I’m not sure what you’re getting at. Please explain.

What was said about monarchy can be said about religions. Monarchies and religion both exist to suppress by and large. The only difference is one claims you’ll be rewarded for your subservience and the other doesn’t pretend to beat around the bush. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Presidential elections come on top of normal elections for parliament and prime minister.

But (at least here), it's the same day so you're just checking one more box on the voter form. It's almost no extra work or time.

I'm not sure how to process preferring your elected leaders electing the head of state. In the early USA, it was done this way in the Electoral College without a popular vote (don't get me started). I do believe a direct election will marginally represent the people better than letting politicians do it. The USA has a number of questionable ideas surrounding its elections, but actually directly electing the president (even in the broken rounding-error way we do it) is not one of the bad ideas.

20 hours ago, #freejame said:

What was said about monarchy can be said about religions. Monarchies and religion both exist to suppress by and large. The only difference is one claims you’ll be rewarded for your subservience and the other doesn’t pretend to beat around the bush. 

We are free to both agree and disagree. There’s not enough space on here to explain both sides and the respective examples, but there are more than enough facts to go both pro and con.