Sabres Training Camp 2022

Brawndo

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Krebs was bad last year but no one really wants to talk about it. 

I want to see him prove he can be a reliable winger before we start penciling him in for center. 

I thought it was when Krebs played on the wing he struggled last season and was better at center. He's a pure playmaker. With his vision and passing ability, you're limiting him on the wing and he will never be that big time goal scorer. I'm excited to see what he can do this season after a whole off-season.

1 hour ago, triumph_communes said:

Krebs isn’t an NHLer yet.  He still sucks too much

That's harsh. The kid got traded and went straight to Rochester and then went to a poor Sabres team where he flipped between wing and center and had a few different linemates. Even still, he's a 21 year old who has just played 57 games last season and had 15 assists. He def had his downs as every rookie does, but all things considered 22pts in 57 games ain't that bad for a kid who had just turned 21 and basically got his first taste of the nhl (beside the few games he got in vegas).

11 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Anderson's playing... at least I think I read that somewhere.  It's interesting actually... is Comrie the 1A and the battle for backup is between UPL and Andy?  In an interview Andy said he feels like he needs to fight for his ice time and that's a good thing.  He embraces the competition and if the other guy turns out better it makes for a better team, but he has to be ready to step in.  I kind of see Anderson as very potentially the 3rd goalie, if not right away, at some point during the season.

I think he stated as much in the past.

Per Mike Harrington in the Buffalo News

Coach Don Granato said after practice he expects veteran Craig Anderson to get at least part of the game in goal after Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen went the route in Washington. 

"How long he'll play is another thing to assess," Granato said of Anderson, 41. "He is in a completely different spot with his experience. We communicate consistently with him. But we take a read, he can verbalize it and tell us how he feels. And he knows what he needs to get done to prepare (for the regular season)."

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Two or less said:

I thought it was when Krebs played on the wing he struggled last season and was better at center. He's a pure playmaker. With his vision and passing ability, you're limiting him on the wing and he will never be that big time goal scorer. I'm excited to see what he can do this season after a whole off-season.

That's harsh. The kid got traded and went straight to Rochester and then went to a poor Sabres team where he flipped between wing and center and had a few different linemates. Even still, he's a 21 year old who has just played 57 games last season and had 15 assists. He def had his downs as every rookie does, but all things considered 22pts in 57 games ain't that bad for a kid who had just turned 21 and basically got his first taste of the nhl (beside the few games he got in vegas).

Bunch of excuses that don’t mean anything. He’s still weak and turns over the puck playing scared.  He can tear up the AHL all he wants, but until he gains some strength and some confidence he’s no NHLer.

9 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Not at all. If a player's natural position is center, he just might not "get" wing.  With Tage they attributed it to not being able to use his size along the boards, but it can be a mental thing too.

Ask Krebs.  Ask Donny Meatballs.

Lol.

And no it's a bad comparison. It's the equivalent of saying young qb who is struggling is just like Josh Allen. 

8 hours ago, Zamboni said:

I must have a unique view of Krebs. I think he sees the ice like Reinhart, has terrific passing (not as good as Reinhart but developing towards it), and is a hard worker who wants to get better and has shown improvement from when he was with the Vegas franchise. I have confidence he’ll continue to improve in the coming months and years. I couldn’t care less if he turns out to be an NHL center or a winger. I’ll just be happy happy if he develops into a solid contributor on the team. Just the way I see it. 

He doesn't but maybe one day. Krebs has a lot to prove this year. Is he a top 6 forward or a middle 6 guy, we'll find out. 

Edited by LGR4GM

9 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Why is he suited to play center over wing? 

As I stated in a prior post his game is predicated on passing. He has exceptional vision and is more of a passer than shooter. (He still needs to shoot more.) Krebs needs space to utilize his ability to make the read and distribute the puck. That ability would be severely crimped if he played on the wing. I'm certainly not comparing Krebs to Tage but when Tage was moved to the center position his game flourished. He ended up having more room to work to get his shot off. For Krebs it would result in more room to pass the puck to the wingers.  

I'm a believer in getting your best players on the ice regardless of position. If playing the wing is what it will take to get him more ice time, then so be it. But in the long run he is most suitable position at center. As @dudacek or someone else pointed out when he played with Rochester after the Sabre season was concluded he was arguably the best player on the ice for the AHL team. And unsurprisingly that was at the center position

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Digger said:

Why don't you think he can play wing?  We've always been told that young centers have an easier time breaking into the NHL at wing and then transitioning to center when their defensive game improves.

Hamilton had a segment about this today, in the 7am hour.  Krebs isn't comfortable there.

5 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Hamilton had a segment about this today, in the 7am hour.  Krebs isn't comfortable there.

I am not saying this is incorrect… But I would take anything that Hamilton says with a giant grain of salt. I wonder if that news about Krebs can be verified by someone else “in the know”. 🤔

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I am not saying this is incorrect… But I would take anything that Hamilton says with a giant grain of salt. I wonder if that news about Krebs can be verified by someone else “in the know”. 🤔

But he has the facts to back up his opinions!

• Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

As I stated in a prior post his game is predicated on passing. He has exceptional vision and is more of a passer than shooter. (He still needs to shoot more.) Krebs needs space to utilize his ability to make the read and distribute the puck. That ability would be severely crimped if he played on the wing. I'm certainly not comparing Krebs to Tage but when Tage was moved to the center position his game flourished. He ended up having more room to work to get his shot off. For Krebs it would result in more room to pass the puck to the wingers.  

I'm a believer in getting your best players on the ice regardless of position. If playing the wing is what it will take to get him more ice time, then so be it. But in the long run he is most suitable position at center. As @dudacek or someone else pointed out when he played with Rochester after the Sabre season was concluded he was arguably the best player on the ice for the AHL team. And unsurprisingly that was at the center position

Well it all depends on the coach and his system and what he wants players to do. 

Regarding Tage, as a big (huge) kid the idea we all had was power forward. That's just not him though. He isn't a hitter and although he claims his space, he doesn't assert it physically. Granato (I assume) recognized this and played to his strengths and what he does like to do. Tage uses his reach (and size) to claim his space and control the play. This, as you say, is more suited to the middle of the ice. 

Krebs isn't big and his game is about vision, speed and passing the puck. He's a playmaker. He can't battle against top checkers unless he can outskate them. So, imo he needs at least one physical winger to help open up ice for him. If not, he might turn out to be an ineffective inbetweener. I, as I've said before, would try Cozens on his wing BUT maybe Granato's vision is control and strength at center up and down the line up so Cozens is your 2C. That also makes sense, but it might end up making Krebs the odd man out in the long run. 

personally I suspect the 3C job is for Mitts or Krebs to take and the loser of that battle, idk, they might fade from long term plans. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

48 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I think this falls under the patented “Paul believes it and once told someone wearing blue and gold that and they didn’t call him an idiot, so it’s definitely true” school of reporting.

40 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Or this. 😄

23 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

97-99 Sabres, 2005-07 Sabres used this model beautifully to great results.

22 hours ago, Taro T said:

Don't forget both had very good to HoF level GTing & above average D to go w/ those roll 4 line squads.  If Comrie can get there, it just might work.  😉

The 05-07 teams also didn’t have two top lines that would be “in tough” and “ok”. They had two top lines that dominated

The “they rolled 4 equal, 2nd line quality lines” meme is well, well overplayed at this point 

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Krebs was bad* last year but no one really wants to talk about it. 

I want to see him prove he can be a reliable winger before we start penciling him in for center. 

*CLASS “A” BOARD INFRACTION

SOURCE: 

https://www.nhl.com/news/jack-eichel-traded-to-golden-knights-by-buffalo/c-327563424

*automated message*

Edited by Thorny

17 hours ago, Zamboni said:

I must have a unique view of Krebs. I think he sees the ice like Reinhart, has terrific passing (not as good as Reinhart but developing towards it), and is a hard worker who wants to get better and has shown improvement from when he was with the Vegas franchise. I have confidence he’ll continue to improve in the coming months and years. I couldn’t care less if he turns out to be an NHL center or a winger. I’ll just be happy happy if he develops into a solid contributor on the team. Just the way I see it. 

Krebs would be fine at W. Forwards have more free reign in the o-zone than ever, being at W doesn’t mean you are mucking it up along the boards in the O-zone. Will need to add strength for D zone coverage at W or C regardless.

The NHL is becoming full of guys who playmake primarily from the W, Reinhart a good example, so is Mitch Marner. On his line the C is the sniper.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Thorny said:

The 05-07 teams also didn’t have two top lines that would be “in tough” and “ok”. They had two top lines that dominated

The “they rolled 4 equal, 2nd line quality lines” meme is well, well overplayed at this point 

Before going into the 2005-6 season, I think the plan was rolling three 2nd lines and beating teams with depth.  Having so many players raise their games in the same season was unexpected.

48 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Before going into the 2005-6 season, I think the plan was rolling three 2nd lines and beating teams with depth.  Having so many players raise their games in the same season was unexpected.

Elevate and maintain aka develop. And they did that, and we now may again. But my point wasn’t really about that. It’s about a false perception.

• Like (+1) 1

Camp thoughts so far, mostly from the post Flyers game practice lineup

1. Skinner & Thompson are a pair, despite TNT’s goal scoring popping (28 of 38) once Tuch joined the line

2. I found it interesting that DG played his top 6 D for next season against the Flyers, except Bryson and Joki got the first crack as Power’s partner.  From all reports, they played pretty well as a group. From the Sabrespace posts, people here really like Bush’s play.  

3. Girgensons as the 4th line D.  Not a big surprise and I suspect he’ll be there opening night, but will Asplund also got a look there in upcoming games?

4. VO - Mitts - KO; Was this another indication of where DG is taking the lineup?  Or was this just getting vets ice time together to see if there was some chemistry there?  The reports from DG, KO and Skinner on Mitts from the Day 5 notes are very encouraging.

5. If TnT is the no. 1 center, Mitts the 2 and Z the 4, who is 3? Krebs or Cozens? Given Cozens success on the wing at Worlds, will DG experiment with him there as well? 

6. We have seen UPL, Subban and Anderson.  Comrie in net next?  Any reports on how he has looked in camp so far?

7. Are Biro and Rousek the first 2 AHL recalls if needed?

8. Who is leading the battle for the 7th  D slot? Pilut leading Fitz?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.