Sabres Training Camp 2022

Brawndo

Four balanced lines, averaging 10-14 minutes ES time each a night.

• Skinner Thompson Peterka
  • Quinn Mitts Tuch
  • Girgensons Cozens Okposo
  • Asplund Krebs Olofsson

One line will be in tough against the opposition's top line, one will be OK. The other two will feast.

You decide what label to put on each. I don't care.

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, dudacek said:

• Quinn Mitts Tuch
  • Asplund Krebs Olofsson

One line will be in tough against the opposition's top line, one will be OK. The other two will feast.

97-99 Sabres, 2005-07 Sabres used this model beautifully to great results.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

• Quinn Mitts Tuch
  • Asplund Krebs Olofsson

Peterka HAS to be successful starting early for this to work.  We don’t want to handicap the line that is absolutely expected to score.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

• Quinn Mitts Tuch
  • Asplund Krebs Olofsson

I'll keep saying it, Krebs isn't a center. Not yet at least. 

• Agree 2

On 9/21/2022 at 7:44 PM, LGR4GM said:

We haven't seen Krebs successfully handle a winger role yet. I'm really hoping he makes a jump. 

35 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I'll keep saying it, Krebs isn't a center. Not yet at least. 

So which one is it?

I kind of assumed you meant center for the first post but many were saying he can't play wing?

• Haha (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Digger said:

So which one is it?

I kind of assumed you meant center for the first post but many were saying he can't play wing?

Krebs was bad last year but no one really wants to talk about it. 

I want to see him prove he can be a reliable winger before we start penciling him in for center. 

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I want to see him prove he can be a reliable winger before we start penciling him in for center. 

By that do you mean pile on?

Because the theme to me seems to be “I like the kid but he’s got a ways to go.”

Edited by dudacek

23 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No one is disputing your point that Krebs still has a way to go before being slotted as a center. He's a very young player who although he struggled last year in the NHL, when assigned to Rochester after the season was concluded, proved to be their best center and one of their best players on that AHL team. I see the progression with still plenty of room to grow. In contrast to Mitts and Cozens, who are capable of playing both on the wing and center, I don't see that position versatility with Krebs. In my mind he is suited to play center and not on the wing. 

42 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Yes, he flashed skills last season, but it didn’t coalesce in a good NHL player.

The Sabres seem to like him at C.  I know C is generally considered to be more difficult, but maybe he just feels much more comfortable in that position.

1 minute ago, Curt said:

Yes, he flashed skills last season, but it didn’t coalesce in a good NHL player.

The Sabres seem to like him at C.  I know C is generally considered to be more difficult, but maybe he just feels much more comfortable in that position.

Different style of play, but see him being similar to Briere in that my expectation is he remains a C but ends up best playing w/ a W that knows how to play the C position and helps get the job done by committee.

At his size, just don't see him doing well trying to outmuscle somebody along the boards.

19 minutes ago, JohnC said:

No one is disputing your point that Krebs still has a way to go before being slotted as a center. He's a very young player who although he struggled last year in the NHL, when assigned to Rochester after the season was concluded, proved to be their best center and one of their best players on that AHL team. I see the progression with still plenty of room to grow. In contrast to Mitts and Cozens, who are capable of playing both on the wing and center, I don't see that position versatility with Krebs. In my mind he is suited to play center and not on the wing. 

Why don't you think he can play wing?  We've always been told that young centers have an easier time breaking into the NHL at wing and then transitioning to center when their defensive game improves.

5 minutes ago, Digger said:

Why don't you think he can play wing?  We've always been told that young centers have an easier time breaking into the NHL at wing and then transitioning to center when their defensive game improves.

I just believe that his game is more predicated on finesse and setting up wingers. His lack of physicality will not serve him well playing along the boards and in tighter spaces compared to being in the center of the ice. He has excellent vision. His first instinct is to set up and pass. I do consider Mitts and Cozens more centers than wingers but if required can play the wing position and still play that position well. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Different style of play, but see him being similar to Briere in that my expectation is he remains a C but ends up best playing w/ a W that knows how to play the C position and helps get the job done by committee.

At his size, just don't see him doing well trying to outmuscle somebody along the boards.

Regardless of what position he plays, Krebs will need to be stronger than he was last season.

I’m not so sure that there is any reason that C’s need to be stronger than W’s.  I think W’s find themselves battling along the boards just as, if not more, often as C’s.

I believe that Krebs has the 2-way instincts to be a C, but just needs to fine tune his decision making, and get stronger.

1 minute ago, Curt said:

Regardless of what position he plays, Krebs will need to be stronger than he was last season.

I’m not so sure that there is any reason that C’s need to be stronger than W’s.  I think W’s find themselves battling along the boards just as, if not more, often as C’s.

I believe that Krebs has the 2-way instincts to be a C, but just needs to fine tune his decision making, and get stronger.

And that's part of the reason Krebs will be better at C than W IMHO.

And fully agree that he needs to gain strength to stay at the NHL level.  Just not sure that he'll ever be good at W but could see him being good at C.  He was very good there in the A.

57 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

...because that worked so well for Tage....

This is a very bad comparison.

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Why is he suited to play center over wing? 

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

This is a very bad comparison.

Not at all. If a player's natural position is center, he just might not "get" wing.  With Tage they attributed it to not being able to use his size along the boards, but it can be a mental thing too.

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Why is he suited to play center over wing? 

Ask Krebs.  Ask Donny Meatballs.

I must have a unique view of Krebs. I think he sees the ice like Reinhart, has terrific passing (not as good as Reinhart but developing towards it), and is a hard worker who wants to get better and has shown improvement from when he was with the Vegas franchise. I have confidence he’ll continue to improve in the coming months and years. I couldn’t care less if he turns out to be an NHL center or a winger. I’ll just be happy happy if he develops into a solid contributor on the team. Just the way I see it. 

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.