Sabres Training Camp 2022

Brawndo

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I think this mindset — "you can't play (insert name here) 10 minutes a night with 4th-liners" — needs to shift.

First off, look at the coach and how he has used his players: Anders Bjork got 12 minutes a game. Brett Murray got 13. Cody Eakin and Mark Jankowski 13 1/2. Even John Hayden, the least-used forward on the team got just under 11 minutes.

Secondly, who are these 4-liners people are worried about? Girgensons? Hinostroza? Okposo? Asplund? Quinn? Peterka?

The first 4 are all guys who played 13:52 or more last year, and who have demonstrated the ability to score 10 or more goals and 30 or more points over a full season. The final 2 are two of the best forward prospects in the game. Our "top 13" has no outright plugs any more.

There's no rule that your 4th line has to remain nailed to the bench, or that it can't have 3 good players on it.

Like Lindy always said, “Let’s roll four.” 

2 hours ago, Curt said:

I think it is a factor in fan outlook.  I think the way they finished the season is also a big factor.  It’s having an effect on fan perception, but also on the team internally, I believe.

I honestly give Adams a lot of credit for this.  It can cynically be viewed as a bunch of new age office culture speak BS, but I believe that it can have a real effect on team mindset if it is perceived as genuine, especially for earnest young guys who haven’t been through the ringer of the business of hockey.

Adams appears to have gotten buy in from the team and fan base (to a certain extent).  That’s what I want from a guy leading the organization.  I think Adams is a very good manager.  I hope he proves to be a good NHL general manager.

That came out more jumbled than I intended but I think you get the idea.

Ya, like I said, it’s not a topic that gains much traction in discussion, I’ve mentioned it a few times. It just diverges into paragraphs about all the good things Adams is doing that really have nothing to do with the marketing component, nor are those things belittled by the marketing blitz component: but it strikes that nerve I think whenever I’ve brought it up, rendering the initial point I’m making moot. Won’t belabour the point any longer 

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Ya, like I said, it’s not a topic that gains much traction in discussion, I’ve mentioned it a few times. It just diverges into paragraphs about all the good things Adams is doing that really have nothing to do with the marketing component, nor are those things belittled by the marketing blitz component: but it strikes that nerve I think whenever I’ve brought it up, rendering the initial point I’m making moot. Won’t belabour the point any longer 

I think you're bang on about this.

It goes way back to when Kevyn was digging out of the Krueger mess and was very up front about the organization needing to reconnect with the fans and be something they can identify with.

The face the marketing department has put forth has been entirely in line with this and its no coincidence that the Buffalo-born GM with his City of Good Neighbours personality has been front-and-centre as their spokesperson.

And they've done it well enough that most people have not even considered it marketing.

All that said, the reason it has worked as well as it has is because we (or certainly I) have had no trouble perceiving it as genuine. To me, it's a brand that represents what Adams is actually trying to build, not something he's just trying to sell.

I might be wrong, but I don't think I am, and it's not something where's it's going to benefit me to be cynical about it.

I've said it on here before. I'm ready to just be a fan of an organization I feel good about cheering for.

Keep those vibes coming and I'm perfectly happy to eat it up.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, Digger said:

That's not what I said.

My point when looking at the expected lineups this season is that many fans just take Girgensons, Asplund, Okposo and throw them together on a line.  My point is that I think Granato will play Okposo with one of the young centers.  It will be interesting.

I agree, and I think it’s worth repeating that KO had the fourth most ice time among forwards last year. I don’t think he will fall below fifth or sixth this year. I expect him to be on a line with Cozens or maybe Middlestadt, and ahead of Quinn and JJP in the rotation. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

Personally I'm looking forward to the possibility this might be the first year in a decade where I can watch a Sabres game without a gaurantee I will spend 10 minutes a night begging for a line to get off the ice.

I share this hope. I know I'm viewed as a pessimist here by many but I do expect this year's team to be more competitive, more entertaining, and be in games that are closer. Lots of question marks still but we shall see how much of it can come together at the same time. If Mitts can actually center a line effectively this year and Cozens improves significantly, I may be more optimistic than I have been - despite the goaltending. 

9 hours ago, Eleven said:

He's the battle-scarred veteran.  The two ideas aren't incompatible, from that angle.

I get that, but if you believe he's still a 20 plus goal scorer you don't bury him on the 4th line. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he played with Zemgus. Not sure who the 3rd player will be, but I'm not sure that's the 4th line either. 

6 hours ago, Thorny said:

I thought we might be done w/ the bolded thinking after the Larsson days. It didn’t matter how many times we lined him up on the “4th” line, he still came in as a top 2 C by way of minutes. 

Well then people should stop calling it the 4th line.  

To me if you number your lines the labelling number goes up as the minutes on ice go down. That's the only ranking of them that matters. 

6 hours ago, inkman said:

Those are two different people.  One part of the fanbase has grown to love KO, understand and appreciate the vet, the other fan thinks he’s meh, overpaid, washed up, yada yada.  

I don't think that's entirely true. It is for some, but there are Kyle fans who have him pegged for the 4th line. 

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

I think you're bang on about this.

It goes way back to when Kevyn was digging out of the Krueger mess and was very up front about the organization needing to reconnect with the fans and be something they can identify with.

The face the marketing department has put forth has been entirely in line with this and its no coincidence that the Buffalo-born GM with his City of Good Neighbours personality has been front-and-centre as their spokesperson.

And they've done it well enough that most people have not even considered it marketing.

All that said, the reason it has worked as well as it has is because we (or certainly I) have had no trouble perceiving it as genuine. To me, it's a brand that represents what Adams is actually trying to build, not something he's just trying to sell.

I might be wrong, but I don't think I am, and it's not something where's it's going to benefit me to be cynical about it.

I've said it on here before. I'm ready to just be a fan of an organization I feel good about cheering for.

Keep those vibes coming and I'm perfectly happy to eat it up.

The best marketing is the marketing that is truly invisible and genuinely felt. Akin to how you're more likely to believe a suggestion from a friend or family member; when Adams says he wants to better the Sabres and that he personally wants the team to improve for the city, its believable since he's one of us. He's from Buffalo, lived in Buffalo most of his life and has both a personal and professional desire to succeed.  

The Buffalo Sabres today announced the team's broadcast plans for the 2022-23 preseason. 

Three of the team's six preseason games will be streamed on Sabres.com and the other three will be available on TV within the Sabres' local broadcast market. 

Dan Dunleavy will call the action with Rob Ray providing color commentary for all radio games as well as the two Sabres-produced web streams and the October 4 game against Carolina. 

Buffalo's broadcast on MSG on October 4 will include a pregame show starting at 6:30 p.m. and a postgame show featuring studio host Brian Duff and analyst Martin Biron.

Here is the full preseason schedule with broadcast information. Home games are in bold. 

Sunday, September 25 vs. Washington Capitals at Capital One Arena (2 p.m.)

TV: NHL Network (NBC Sports Washington feed)

Radio: WWKB 1520 AM 

Tuesday, September 27 vs. Philadelphia Flyers at KeyBank Center (7 p.m.)

Streaming: Sabres.com

Radio: WGR 550

Get your tickets today 

Wednesday, September 28 vs. Columbus Blue Jackets at Nationwide Arena (7 p.m.)

Streaming: Sabres.com (Blue Jackets feed)

Saturday, October 1 vs. Pittsburgh Penguins at KeyBank Center (1 p.m.)

Get your tickets today 

Tuesday, October 4 vs. Carolina Hurricanes at KeyBank Center (7 p.m.)

TV: MSG (Pregame show begins at 6:30 p.m.)

Get your tickets today 

Friday, October 7 vs. Pittsburgh Penguins at PPG Paints Arena (7 p.m.)

TV: MSG (AT&T Sports feed)

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/sabres-announce-2022-23-preseason-broadcast-schedule/c-335723266

• Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well then people should stop calling it the 4th line.  

To me if you number your lines the labelling number goes up as the minutes on ice go down. That's the only ranking of them that matters. 

I don't think that's entirely true. It is for some, but there are Kyle fans who have him pegged for the 4th line. 

Wholeheartedly agree with the comment about line numbering, or labeling. Especially given the present roster. Now, if we still had Derek Grant centering a line then it would deserve to be labeled as a 4th line. 😏

For conversation sake, a line of OK, Girgs and Asplund would likely spend a good bit of time matched up against opponents' top lines, no?. That would necessitate more than 10 - 12 minutes per night (and add a little bit of scoring?).

15 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

The Buffalo Sabres today announced the team's broadcast plans for the 2022-23 preseason. 

Three of the team's six preseason games will be streamed on Sabres.com and the other three will be available on TV within the Sabres' local broadcast market. 

Dan Dunleavy will call the action with Rob Ray providing color commentary for all radio games as well as the two Sabres-produced web streams and the October 4 game against Carolina. 

Buffalo's broadcast on MSG on October 4 will include a pregame show starting at 6:30 p.m. and a postgame show featuring studio host Brian Duff and analyst Martin Biron.

Here is the full preseason schedule with broadcast information. Home games are in bold. 

Sunday, September 25 vs. Washington Capitals at Capital One Arena (2 p.m.)

TV: NHL Network (NBC Sports Washington feed)

Radio: WWKB 1520 AM 

Tuesday, September 27 vs. Philadelphia Flyers at KeyBank Center (7 p.m.)

Get your tickets today 

Wednesday, September 28 vs. Columbus Blue Jackets at Nationwide Arena (7 p.m.)

Streaming: Sabres.com (Blue Jackets feed)

Saturday, October 1 vs. Pittsburgh Penguins at KeyBank Center (1 p.m.)

Get your tickets today 

Tuesday, October 4 vs. Carolina Hurricanes at KeyBank Center (7 p.m.)

TV: MSG (Pregame show begins at 6:30 p.m.)

Get your tickets today 

Friday, October 7 vs. Pittsburgh Penguins at PPG Paints Arena (7 p.m.)

TV: MSG (AT&T Sports feed)

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/sabres-announce-2022-23-preseason-broadcast-schedule/c-335723266

Sucks that ESPN+ doesn't carry the MSG pre- and post-game shows. Not sure why. Center Ice used to.

• Agree 1

On 9/22/2022 at 2:07 PM, Zamboni said:

The last few years… There have been Jumbotron feeds with online streaming. Not every game. Just some. And sometimes you get the Jumbotron feeds and PxP from the opposing teams broadcasters. I long for the day where every single Sabres preseason game is at least streamed on sabres.com. We haven’t gotten there yet…

We’ll it’s only 2022 what do you expect?  The nhl may realize one day the importance of drawing interest prior to the season starting. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, dudacek said:

Donnie said stuff yesterday about "accelerating the development process" and a goal of this part of training camp being put the kids in a position to be the best versions of themselves before he starts making judgements. Rosen is being shown what it looks like to play on an NHL line, that he has the skill to keep up, and what he needs to do to make the jump.

Rosen Quinn and Krebs are all being given an opportunity to see how good they can be.

Separately, love the look of Quinn/Tuch/Krebs on paper and I've been calling for Peterka with Tage and Skinny all summer.

Add in a VO Mitts and Cozens combo?

I haven't bought in to the "Quinn or Peterka will have to be sent down because there's not room for both in the top 6" school because this team looks much more suited to wearing opponents down by rolling over 4 lines

I honestly feel that’s what the best teams do. Some like TO are just so top heavy that you can really try and focus on shutting down that one or two lines.

I want a team resembling 05-07 where you could really start rolling lines and get that secondary scoring. 

• Like (+1) 2

23 hours ago, dudacek said:

Donnie said stuff yesterday about "accelerating the development process" and a goal of this part of training camp being put the kids in a position to be the best versions of themselves before he starts making judgements. Rosen is being shown what it looks like to play on an NHL line, that he has the skill to keep up, and what he needs to do to make the jump.

Rosen Quinn and Krebs are all being given an opportunity to see how good they can be.

Separately, love the look of Quinn/Tuch/Krebs on paper and I've been calling for Peterka with Tage and Skinny all summer.

Add in a VO Mitts and Cozens combo?

I haven't bought in to the "Quinn or Peterka will have to be sent down because there's not room for both in the top 6" school because this team looks much more suited to wearing opponents down by rolling over 4 lines

Can we call you “The Dude”? 

F9391C77-81F0-400C-B727-8ADBF18C0472.thumb.jpeg.fe68aca529bc3f36321b6cc64a970886.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.