Sabres Training Camp 2022

Brawndo

7 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

The oddity I'm catching in all of this is that Dahlin and Samuelsson are on different squads. Power-Dahlin? I think it's a skosh early to combine their strengths to rule the galaxy. The temptation would be too strong on HCDG to play them constantly. I know Power's got oodles of energy now, but an 82-game grind is nasty and whoever is paired with Dahlin will get massive minutes and have to be defense-first.

I gotta believe they'll be split. And if Power can handle the minutes it allows DG the 'luxury' (necessity?) of limiting the third pair to 12 - 14 minutes per night.

9 minutes ago, JustOneParade said:

I gotta believe they'll be split. And if Power can handle the minutes it allows DG the 'luxury' (necessity?) of limiting the third pair to 12 - 14 minutes per night.

It’s the first day of camp. They know what they have in Dahlin-Mule. They are probably experimenting to see what other combos look like.

27 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Does anyone know how and if Sabres preseason games will be televised. Right now there are none scheduled on ESPN+.

The last few years… There have been Jumbotron feeds with online streaming. Not every game. Just some. And sometimes you get the Jumbotron feeds and PxP from the opposing teams broadcasters. I long for the day where every single Sabres preseason game is at least streamed on sabres.com. We haven’t gotten there yet…

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Does anyone know how and if Sabres preseason games will be televised. Right now there are none scheduled on ESPN+.

Haven't seen any announcements yet, but in years past they were broadcast on the Sabres website and the broadcast was whatever the home team put together.  Few, if any, made it to ESPN+.

16 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

The last few years… There have been Jumbotron feeds with online streaming. Not every game. Just some. And sometimes you get the Jumbotron feeds and PxP from the opposing teams broadcasters. I long for the day where every single Sabres preseason game is at least streamed on sabres.com. We haven’t gotten there yet…

This seems correct.  In '19, the game in TO was shown on Sabres.com & the 3 home games.  Don't believe either of the other 2 road games were broadcast.  Thought all, or all but 1, was shown there last year, but no data to confirm that.

8 hours ago, JustOneParade said:

I think it's still too soon for the kids to limit the 3rd pair that much. Their games are all still growing; their bodies are all still filling out -- the oldest of Power, Joker, Muel, and Rasmus is 23. If Rasmus and Joker were 28-29, then yeah, ride 'em for 28 minutes/night and ice the 3rd pair for 12 minutes. But these are all still kids, given to lapses and inconsistencies and being worn out. None of these guys is built like Pronger (and only Muel really comes close at the moment; Power can get there eventually). Balance the pairs and keep the minutes near 24, 20, 16 from 1st to 3rd pair if at all possible.

33 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

I think it's still too soon for the kids to limit the 3rd pair that much. Their games are all still growing; their bodies are all still filling out -- the oldest of Power, Joker, Muel, and Rasmus is 23. If Rasmus and Joker were 28-29, then yeah, ride 'em for 28 minutes/night and ice the 3rd pair for 12 minutes. But these are all still kids, given to lapses and inconsistencies and being worn out. None of these guys is built like Pronger (and only Muel really comes close at the moment; Power can get there eventually). Balance the pairs and keep the minutes near 24, 20, 16 from 1st to 3rd pair if at all possible.

Last year they didn't do that and I don't expect it this year. We'll see something like 26, 24, 10. They're young and can take it. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Last year they didn't do that and I don't expect it this year. We'll see something like 26, 24, 10. They're young and can take it. 

Interesting how Donnie put some of the injury issues from last year on the team being young, eager to overachieve and not yet versed in their ability to be efficient.

Ice time over the last month of the season:

Dahlin 24:05

Jokiharju 22:17

Power 22:05

Samuelsson 21:41

Fitzgerald 15:11

Bryson 14:21

Edited by dudacek

26 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I probably should have added no cigarettes in the locker room and no beer past 8:00 PM.  After all, we’re not animals.  

That's it! If I can't smoke a dart between periods, I can't even play. And in Chicago they had a cold 2-4 in the dressing room and we all downed one between periods. Stan and Bobby got two of course. It's in their contracts.

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Sabres going to start the season with Rosen on the top line just to stick it to messageboard warriors who were critical of the pick last season😛🤣

(Yes this is a joke. No I don’t think Rosen makes the Sabres this year)

Donnie said stuff yesterday about "accelerating the development process" and a goal of this part of training camp being put the kids in a position to be the best versions of themselves before he starts making judgements. Rosen is being shown what it looks like to play on an NHL line, that he has the skill to keep up, and what he needs to do to make the jump.

Rosen Quinn and Krebs are all being given an opportunity to see how good they can be.

Separately, love the look of Quinn/Tuch/Krebs on paper and I've been calling for Peterka with Tage and Skinny all summer.

Add in a VO Mitts and Cozens combo?

I haven't bought in to the "Quinn or Peterka will have to be sent down because there's not room for both in the top 6" school because this team looks much more suited to wearing opponents down by rolling over 4 lines

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Donnie said stuff yesterday about "accelerating the development process" and a goal of this part of training camp being put the kids in a position to be the best versions of themselves before he starts making judgements. Rosen is being shown what it looks like to play on an NHL line, that he has the skill to keep up, and what he needs to do to make the jump.

Rosen Quinn and Krebs are all being given an opportunity to see how good they can be.

Separately, love the look of Quinn/Tuch/Krebs on paper and I've been calling for Peterka with Tage and Skinny all summer.

Add in a VO Mitts and Cozens combo?

I haven't bought in to the "Quinn or Peterka will have to be sent down because there's not room for both in the top 6" school because this team looks much more suited to wearing opponents down by rolling over 4 lines

Skinner Tage JJ

Quinn Krebs Tuch

Mitts Cozens VO

That is an interesting top 9. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.