Sabres Training Camp 2022

Brawndo

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

I don't see Cozens and Mitts vying for a 2C position because looking at the forward list I see Granato putting together a 2A and 2B lines with Cozens and Mitts centering one of those lines. If Krebs demonstrates that he is ready to assume a full time center role then I can foresee either Cozens or Mitts moving to the wing. 

What's exciting about the players you list is that there is some quantity and flexibility with this lineup. And Granato is not afraid to put players in various roles not only throughout the season but also within the games. 

Starting off I see Jokiharju paired with Power. In my view Joki is a good subordinate player who will allow Power more space to flourish. 

We haven't seen Krebs successfully handle a winger role yet. I'm really hoping he makes a jump. 

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

We haven't seen Krebs successfully handle a winger role yet. I'm really hoping he makes a jump. 

Expect that's a big part of Granato & Mittelstadt saying Mitts might be a W this year.  Expect they'll have those 2 together w/ someone (Olofsson?) and they don't see Krebs being able to transition to W but Casey can.  Could see them covering the roles like Hecht & Briere did & then Leino & Briere did.

52 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

43 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Expect that's a big part of Granato & Mittelstadt saying Mitts might be a W this year.  Expect they'll have those 2 together w/ someone (Olofsson?) and they don't see Krebs being able to transition to W but Casey can.  Could see them covering the roles like Hecht & Briere did & then Leino & Briere did.

I can’t remember which coach/exec it was (it may have been more than one), but in the aftermath of Krebs excellent play at centre in the AHL playoffs, it was said “we want him/see him playing centre.”

52 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I believe that both Mitts and Cozens can play a wing position if called on. I don't see that position flexibility with Krebs. Krebs will secure a position on this roster as a center. It just seems that his style of play doesn't transfer to the wing position while Mitts and Cozens do. 

34 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I believe that both Mitts and Cozens can play a wing position if called on. I don't see that position flexibility with Krebs. Krebs will secure a position on this roster as a center. It just seems that his style of play doesn't transfer to the wing position while Mitts and Cozens do. 

Considering F positions are significantly more relevant on the defensive side of things, I heavily lean towards Cozens staying at C due to his 200 ft game. Mitts should have W responsibilities in the neutral/D zone and the forwards can go wherever they want in the O zone anyways and through transition 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Considering F positions are significantly more relevant on the defensive side of things, I heavily lean towards Cozens staying at C due to his 200 ft game. Mitts should have W responsibilities in the neutral/D zone and the forwards can go wherever they want in the O zone anyways and through transition 

I agree with you that if it comes down to either Cozens or Mitts playing the wing that it is more likely that Mitts will be playing on the outside. 

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

I kind of like the thought of Casey playing a wing to Krebs at C.  Krebs can play the position he's best at but doesn't have to shoulder the full load in all situations.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Just noticed the training camp roster lists Girgensons as a LW, Thompson as a RW, and both Asplund and Hinostroza (?) as centres.

Mitts, Krebs and Cozens all centres as well, as are Savoie and Kulich.

Not sure if this means anything in terms of early plans, I’m guessing not.

Edited by dudacek

Sabres

Skinner Thompson Tuch 

Olofsson Mittelstadt Okposo

Asplund Cozens Hinostroza

Girgensons 

Power Dahlin 

Samuelson Jokiharju

Bryson Lyubushkin 

Comrie

Anderson

In the NHL mix

Quinn Krebs Peterka

Bjork Sheahan

Pilut Fitzpatrick

UPL

Amerks

Mersch Biro Murray

Rousek Kulich Weissbach

Kisakov Malone Rosen

Cedarqvist Kozak Pekar

Clague Priskie 

Davies Laaksonen

Prow

Subban

Cincinnati 

Warren Jobst Olischevski

Passolt

Tischke Elliot

Berzolla

Houser

Warm

Reserve

Bloom Savoie Nadeau

Poltapov Östlund Neuchev

Costantini Huglen Konecny 

Richard Sardarian Marjala

Rotkovic Karlsson Sjodin 

Von Barnekow

Johnson Komarov

Lindgren lyckasen

Novikov

Sova

Levi

Portillo

Leinonen

13 hours ago, Taro T said:

I see it as being Krebs- Mitts - Okposo as a line. Gives you a little of a security blanket who is good in corners and can shoot with Okposo. Krebs and Mitts can bounce between the center spot and work on parts of their game. That's my 2nd/3rd line right now (I think they will be interchangeable). 

Skinner - Tage - Olofsson

Quinn - Cozens - Tuch

Krebs - Mitts - Okposo

Zemgus - Asplund - JJP

Edited by LGR4GM

8 hours ago, dudacek said:

Sabres

Skinner Thompson Tuch 

Olofsson Mittelstadt Okposo

Asplund Cozens Hinostroza

Girgensons 

Power Dahlin 

Samuelson Jokiharju

Bryson Lyubushkin 

Comrie

Anderson

In the NHL mix

Quinn Krebs Peterka

Bjork Sheahan

Pilut Fitzpatrick

UPL

Amerks

Mersch Biro Murray

Rousek Kulich Weissbach

Kisakov Malone Rosen

Cedarqvist Kozak Pekar

Clague Priskie 

Davies Laaksonen

Prow

Subban

Cincinnati 

Warren Jobst Olischevski

Passolt

Tischke Elliot

Berzolla

Houser

Warm

Reserve

Bloom Savoie Nadeau

Poltapov Östlund Neuchev

Costantini Huglen Konecny 

Richard Sardarian Marjala

Rotkovic Karlsson Sjodin 

Von Barnekow

Johnson Komarov

Lindgren lyckasen

Novikov

Sova

Levi

Portillo

Leinonen

Are the Amerks really going to field an all-left-shot forward group? That’s wild. 

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Interestingly Krebs is with Blue & Cozens & Mittelstadt are with Gold.  Would've expected Krebs to be on 1 of their lines.

Get it that Thompson is listed as a RW rather than a C, but still a top 9 of Blue could be:

Skinner Thompson Tuch

Quinn/Girgensons Krebs Okposo

Girgensons/Quinn Kozak Bjork/Murray

And a top 9 of Gold could be

Asplund Mittelstadt Olofsson

Peterka Cozens Hinostroza

Malone Sheahan Mersch

Only 12 of those 18 (19 including Bjork) will be in the lineup against the Otters on October 13.  Really looking like at least initially they're looking to roll 4 lines more or less.  Nice to see there actually being competition for the top 12 & the top 6 with players that actually shouldn't be out of place there.  (They've had competition for most of those roles the last decade, but not by players that belong in those roles.)

And only threw Kozak into that top 9 role due to lack of C's in that grouping.

Edited by Taro T

The oddity I'm catching in all of this is that Dahlin and Samuelsson are on different squads. Power-Dahlin? I think it's a skosh early to combine their strengths to rule the galaxy. The temptation would be too strong on HCDG to play them constantly. I know Power's got oodles of energy now, but an 82-game grind is nasty and whoever is paired with Dahlin will get massive minutes and have to be defense-first.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.