Sabres Training Camp 2022

Brawndo

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

Aren’t the number of preseason games and when and where they occur, up to the teams involved?

I think somewhat?  I didn't mean my remark to mean that it was the league doing something stupid, just that it's a little different to have a game three days into camp.  Very unlike NFL/MLB.

Edited by Eleven

2 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Training camp used to be for the players to get back into shape. Now the players are in top shape 24/7, 365 so they are chomping to get playing after a couple days of practices

Yeah, there is that Maple Leaves training camp invite that makes the rounds now and then, I think from 1965, telling them that they're expected to be able to handle 10 pushups or whatever.

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Yeah, there is that Maple Leaves training camp invite that makes the rounds now and then, I think from 1965, telling them that they're expected to be able to handle 10 pushups or whatever.

1962 and 20 pushups. Also, golf is a required physical training exercise and all players are required to bring their clubs.   https://www.prohockeystrength.com/Toronto_Maple_Leafs_Training_Camp_1962.pdf

Training camp battles:

2C: Cozens and Mittelstadt should be facing off here, with Krebs in the mix

4C: Riley Sheahan best fits the role, but he's probably not one of the 12 best forwards. Will they move Girgensons or Asplund into that spot, or go with the low man in the 2C battle there?

Scoring winger: It's not clear what kind of rotation Granato will run, but whether it's 3 balanced lines, or a clear top 6, he's going to lean on at least 2 wingers beyond Skinner and Tuch to join the PP and score some goals at even strength. Olofsson is the clear favourite to be one. Quinn and Peterka should battle Okposo, and possibly one of the 2C losers to join him.

2RD: will Lyubushkin or Jokiharju join Power?

Final roster spots: Assuming health, there will be a maximum of 5 spots available for Krebs, Peterka, Quinn, Bjork, Sheahan, Pilut, Fitzpatrick and Luukkonnen. Biro, Murray, Malone, Clague and Subban are veterans who might also be pushing to join them.

• Thanks (+1) 3

52 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Still no training camp schedule, and which practices will be open to the public.  Was hoping to attend at least one.  

Am I asking too much considering camp starts tomorrow? 😞

Hoping to catch a practice in early October. A schedule would be nice. 

14 hours ago, dudacek said:

Training camp battles:

2C: Cozens and Mittelstadt should be facing off here, with Krebs in the mix

4C: Riley Sheahan best fits the role, but he's probably not one of the 12 best forwards. Will they move Girgensons or Asplund into that spot, or go with the low man in the 2C battle there?

Scoring winger: It's not clear what kind of rotation Granato will run, but whether it's 3 balanced lines, or a clear top 6, he's going to lean on at least 2 wingers beyond Skinner and Tuch to join the PP and score some goals at even strength. Olofsson is the clear favourite to be one. Quinn and Peterka should battle Okposo, and possibly one of the 2C losers to join him.

2RD: will Lyubushkin or Jokiharju join Power?

Final roster spots: Assuming health, there will be a maximum of 5 spots available for Krebs, Peterka, Quinn, Bjork, Sheahan, Pilut, Fitzpatrick and Luukkonnen. Biro, Murray, Malone, Clague and Subban are veterans who might also be pushing to join them.

I don't see Cozens and Mitts vying for a 2C position because looking at the forward list I see Granato putting together a 2A and 2B lines with Cozens and Mitts centering one of those lines. If Krebs demonstrates that he is ready to assume a full time center role then I can foresee either Cozens or Mitts moving to the wing. 

What's exciting about the players you list is that there is some quantity and flexibility with this lineup. And Granato is not afraid to put players in various roles not only throughout the season but also within the games. 

Starting off I see Jokiharju paired with Power. In my view Joki is a good subordinate player who will allow Power more space to flourish. 

On 9/20/2022 at 1:41 PM, HoosierDaddy said:

1962 and 20 pushups. Also, golf is a required physical training exercise and all players are required to bring their clubs.   https://www.prohockeystrength.com/Toronto_Maple_Leafs_Training_Camp_1962.pdf

Yeah, well my team won the Cup that year.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.