Sabres Training Camp 2022

Brawndo

14 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Idk if anyone noticed this but yesterday the Sabres released a video in support of the Bills from keybank center and Dahlin, Tuch, Tage, Okposo, I think Bryson and Zemgus were all there clearly practicing together in some way. 

Can you post a link to that video?  Thanks.

I can't find it, but I am probably not looking in the right place or very hard to find it.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Can you post a link to that video?  Thanks.

I can't find it, but I am probably not looking in the right place or very hard to find it.

I saw it while scrolling through fb. Here you go:

https://www.facebook.com/BuffaloSabres/videos/burn-it-all-buffalo-bills-/1532710517190613/

• Thanks (+1) 2

7 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Holy poop we agree. 

This right here is what we've needed for YEARS. Dahlin has heart. Tuch has heart. Cozens has heart. I think Tage is finding his more and more. Power has heart. Samuelsson has heart. I hope Quinn does. We know JJP does. There is a lot of heart on this team and you see it manifest with how close they are off the ice and how they interact. The biggest heart on the team though, Kyle Okposo. 

It does look like there's more heart on this team then there used to be. I think Krebs qualifies too (although not sure he is good enough to be on the roster, still a maybe imo). Fitz as well, same thing. Lots of the young guys have it, I just hope they do start seeing results so they don't lose it. I do have hope that a new leadership core develops and a competitive team with pride in the jersey develops. Like it used to be oh so long ago now.

We heard the "close off the ice" thing before though in the Eichel era. That part I'm not buying in to and is kind of meaningless. 

14 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Holy poop we agree. 

This right here is what we've needed for YEARS. Dahlin has heart. Tuch has heart. Cozens has heart. I think Tage is finding his more and more. Power has heart. Samuelsson has heart. I hope Quinn does. We know JJP does. There is a lot of heart on this team and you see it manifest with how close they are off the ice and how they interact. The biggest heart on the team though, Kyle Okposo. 

Best part of this movie is when he’s throwing footballs under water 

22 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Idk if anyone noticed this but yesterday the Sabres released a video in support of the Bills from keybank center and Dahlin, Tuch, Tage, Okposo, I think Bryson and Zemgus were all there clearly practicing together in some way. 

Tuch, Cozens and Okposo have been practicing together since Mid August 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

On 9/10/2022 at 5:06 PM, Norcal said:

This is lining up to be one of the most competitive training camps in a long time. 

The boys are hungry and losing is no longer accepted around Sabrestown. 

Lets GO Boys!!!!

You say that so definitely. I stand by and wait on that.

13 hours ago, Norcal said:

I have confidence in the boys, I think they'll have a good season. 

I think they may be going in the right direction and possibly decent management for the first time in decades but still only cautiously optimistic.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, Radar said:

You say that so definitely. I stand by and wait on that.

There is no question that because more young players are percolating up through the system that there are more players vying for roster spots and line roles. Where before there were many JAGS who had secured positions on this roster before the season started that certainly isn't the case now. Because of the history of this franchise I understand why you are not going to make any assumptions about this team. But it is evident that there is more talent to draw from when assembling this year's roster. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

There is no question that because more young players are percolating up through the system that there are more players vying for roster spots and line roles. Where before there were many JAGS who had secured positions on this roster before the season started that certainly isn't the case now. Because of the history of this franchise I understand why you are not going to make any assumptions about this team. But it is evident that there is more talent to draw from when assembling this year's roster. 

True, and the team is better than last year instantly with the addition of the number one overall pick added. With all the high draft picks there is no question this team should be better. It has to be right? They surely can't have missed on all these picks? 

The question for me most of all will remain the goaltending until proven otherwise. I just don't believe Comrie is much of an answer to that hole, and it's a very big hole that could sink the season quickly. 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

The question for me most of all will remain the goaltending until proven otherwise. I just don't believe Comrie is much of an answer to that hole, and it's a very big hole that could sink the season quickly. 

I think it's likely that Comrie is close to Ullmark in terms of ability.  So it basically resets the goalie situation before Ullmark walked.  We still have a vet (arguably an upgrade over the likes of Tokarski) as backup, and still have UPL hopefully knocking at the door, and others in the pipeline.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

True, and the team is better than last year instantly with the addition of the number one overall pick added. With all the high draft picks there is no question this team should be better. It has to be right? They surely can't have missed on all these picks? 

You point out the biggest factor whether this team becomes a playoff contending team or not. Right now, I just don't know. But there are some ancillary reasons why I think that the Sabres will have more effective netminding this season. For one, the team should have more goal scoring with this year's roster. In addition, our defensive unit should be upgraded with the additions of Power and Lyubushkin. Included with these added players is that some of our younger players on the blue line should be better because of their prior experience. Although I am unsure I am more than hopeful that our stopper will be at a sufficient level to keep us in playoff contention for the full season. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Ullmark - 158gp, .913 sv%

Comrie - 28gp, .905 sv%

Definitely no guarantee we get Ullmark level GT from Comrie, we are basically hoping that with the increased usage he hasn’t been able to earn in the past he’s able to find more consistency and bump up that sv% a tad. 

The talent I think is probably there from watching him over here, but just so much of an unknown right now with that minuscule sample size. 

Time will tell, I lean towards cautiously optimistic w/him for some reason. Maybe just cause there’s perceived upside there in a way I haven’t really seen it with other recent GT additions from KA 

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Comrie - 28gp, .905 sv%

Definitely no guarantee we get Ullmark level GT from Comrie, we are basically hoping that with the increased usage he hasn’t been able to earn in the past he’s able to find more consistency and bump up that sv% a tad. 

The talent I think is probably there from watching him over here, but just so much of an unknown right now with that minuscule sample size. 

Time will tell, I lean towards cautiously optimistic w/him for some reason. Maybe just cause there’s perceived upside there in a way I haven’t really seen it with other recent GT additions from KA 

How much was Comrie a target fed by data from our analytics team?

I see he and Lyubushkin as Ventura's first test cases.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, JohnC said:

You point out the biggest factor whether this team becomes a playoff contending team or not. Right now, I just don't know. But there are some ancillary reasons why I think that the Sabres will have more effective netminding this season. For one, the team should have more goal scoring with this year's roster. In addition, our defensive unit should be upgraded with the additions of Power and Lyubushkin. Included with these added players is that some of our younger players on the blue line should be better because of their prior experience. Although I am unsure I am more than hopeful that our stopper will be at a sufficient level to keep us in playoff contention for the full season. 

Oh no sir, we are not a playoff contending team even if the goaltending is Ullmark quality (as Doohickie called it). We might be much better than last year but we are in thick with most of the really good competition. Who is dropping out? Boston was the only possible drop with the injuries but they got both Bergeron and Krejci and have Lindholm from day 1, they have one last kick at the can in them. Then there's improved Ottawa, Detroit and maybe even Columbus, just who do you think we are knocking out for a playoff spot? 

Pittsburgh, Washington and Boston are all on their last legs, but they're all still in it. In a couple years they might all be out and we'll be in with Ottawa and Detroit instead, but it's unlikely that's this season. Might actually be why Adams didn't fix the goaltending and would rather take his time with the kids. We could rise to Tampa level in 5 years or so with that strategy if things go right. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Thorny said:

Comrie - 28gp, .905 sv%

Comrie was 2nd in GSAE (Goals Saved Above Expected) last season when adjusted by TOI, so per 60minutes. 

Igor Shesterkin: 0.666

Eric Comrie: 0.603

Linus Ullmark: 0.147

So even though Comrie only has 19 games compared to Ullmark's 41, Comrie saved 10.3gsae compared to 5.7 for Linus. Comrie is all about analytics key-ing in on a guy and then the scouts and Adams going to work. Definitely a gamble but it isn't like Comrie was behind some amazing defense last year and had magic numbers. The career sv% numbers in this case are being ignored. 

10 hours ago, dudacek said:

How much was Comrie a target fed by data from our analytics team?

I see he and Lyubushkin as Ventura's first test cases.

I think he was 100% a target because of the work analytics did. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.