Sabres Training Camp 2022

Brawndo

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

That was a fun clip to watch, but is there anybody on this current roster who can truly answer the bell? Tage? Cozens? Do we want them fighting? I think not. 

I'm not sure it matters any more in this league, but if we do get roughed up by some team I do wonder how we will handle it. 

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

That was a fun clip to watch, but is there anybody on this current roster who can truly answer the bell? Tage? Cozens? Do we want them fighting? I think not. 

I'm not sure it matters any more in this league, but if we do get roughed up by some team I do wonder how we will handle it. 

Lube 🙂

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

1 person being able to "answer the bell" means jack *****. We have a decade of the Sabres adding that one fighter guy to protect guys, all it resulted in was losing. You either fight as a team or you fail. One guy doesn't mean much. 

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

1 person being able to "answer the bell" means jack *****. We have a decade of the Sabres adding that one fighter guy to protect guys, all it resulted in was losing. You either fight as a team or you fail. One guy doesn't mean much. 

Agreed.  That 'one' guy who is the designated fighter is rarely needed, and when he is on the ice he's usually not a good player.

I am not a fan of fighting much anymore, at least as much as I used to be.  But if you really, REALLY think you need that in your lineup, you better draft/develop a guy that has that as PART of his game that includes enough talent to be an everyday player.

Duffer and Marty made a funny reference to the Queen’s Gambit chess series on yesterday’s podcast. She lays in bed at night and plays chess on the ceiling. They said DG does the same but with line combinations.

It will be interesting to see what he tries in the pre season in order to find chemistry.

• Like (+1) 1

Trying to put together a depth chart is impossible, let only predicting lines. The ability of players to play multiple positions really complicates things.

I’ve got the pecking order something like this starting camp, based on the way the year finished. But I don’t expect it to shake out this way on the ice:

Skinner Thompson Tuch

Olofsson Mittelstadt/Cozens Okposo

Asplund Girgensons Hinostroza

Quinn Krebs Peterka

Sheahan Bjork 

There is a lot of fluidity there, both up and down and between positions.

Edited by dudacek

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Agree.   Very few players exist these days that are there only to fight and intimidate.   You battle as a team.  Every line has to battle hard, play the body when its there, and go to the dirty areas where the goals are.  

Last year they finally started to immediately answer the bell when a teammate got roughed up.  That is what is needed.  Responding to a battle is more important than actually winning a fight.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I don’t think there are many players on the Sabres that don’t handle it as we’ve seen several that respond appropriately by sticking up for their teammates and who are willing to drop the gloves if need be. I haven’t seen much backing down lately, even if it means getting their ***** kicked in a fight. I think that counts for a lot on the ice and in the locker room. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Agree.   Very few players exist these days that are there only to fight and intimidate.   You battle as a team.  Every line has to battle hard, play the body when its there, and go to the dirty areas where the goals are.  

Last year they finally started to immediately answer the bell when a teammate got roughed up.  That is what is needed.  Responding to a battle is more important than actually winning a fight.  

FTR I don't think Perrault was arguing to just add a fighter but wants someone on the roster who will fight (hence why he mentioned cozens) but in my mind I don't need one guy who will do that, I need everyone on the ice coming to the defense of a teammate. 

I hope that explains what I think of better. Fully agree with the bolded part. 

• Like (+1) 3

44 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

FTR I don't think Perrault was arguing to just add a fighter but wants someone on the roster who will fight (hence why he mentioned cozens) but in my mind I don't need one guy who will do that, I need everyone on the ice coming to the defense of a teammate. 

I hope that explains what I think of better. Fully agree with the bolded part. 

Who have we seen do this?

Dahlin, Cozens, Thompson, Okposo, Fitz and (we think) Lyubushkin?

I like the character of this bunch, but I think it's still a legitimate question.

44 minutes ago, #freejame said:

If Troy Terry can stick up for Trevor Zegras, every single player on the Sabres should be willing and able to defend their teammates. Simple as that. 

Agree.  And last year I saw more of that than I’ve seen in many years.  

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't disagree with this but it depends on which era you are looking at in terms of winning or losing. I want a Brad May in the line up far more than a Rob Ray, but I want that Brad May guy. 

There's no question rough stuff is down and there's less fighting but it still happens. We haven't faced much of that in recent years because we've simply been too horrible for teams to bother with, but if we become a fast skating offensive team as the plan seems to be, some teams will try to answer that by banging us around and intimidating, or trying to. We will have to answer that as a team, like you said, but we will have to see who that will be if anybody. We certainly don't want the Nelson (lack of) response to the Eichel incident. 

I still think we could use a bigger and tougher 4th line than that sort of cast off assembly we usually throw together. Think of Wilson tossing Panarin around and ponder what the Sabre response would be to something like that? I'd rather have a lesser minutes guy standing up to that than have to have Tage or somebody like that do all the push back. I want Tage on the ice after those guys go to the box.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I don't disagree with this but it depends on which era you are looking at in terms of winning or losing. I want a Brad May in the line up far more than a Rob Ray, but I want that Brad May guy. 

There's no question rough stuff is down and there's less fighting but it still happens. We haven't faced much of that in recent years because we've simply been too horrible for teams to bother with, but if we become a fast skating offensive team as the plan seems to be, some teams will try to answer that by banging us around and intimidating, or trying to. We will have to answer that as a team, like you said, but we will have to see who that will be if anybody. We certainly don't want the Nelson (lack of) response to the Eichel incident. 

I still think we could use a bigger and tougher 4th line than that sort of cast off assembly we usually throw together. Think of Wilson tossing Panarin around and ponder what the Sabre response would be to something like that? I'd rather have a lesser minutes guy standing up to that than have to have Tage or somebody like that do all the push back. I want Tage on the ice after those guys go to the box.

I too would like a Brad May. These guys are almost like unicorns now. We had Marcus Foligno and he was a good fit.

Fitz will drop the gloves but he may not dress many games. Who knows, maybe Mule’s wires cross and he destroys someone, ending this conversation and other teams thinking they can push the Sabres around.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I too would like a Brad May. These guys are almost like unicorns now. We had Marcus Foligno and he was a good fit.

Fitz will drop the gloves but he may not dress many games. Who knows, maybe Mule’s wires cross and he destroys someone, ending this conversation and other teams thinking they can push the Sabres around.

The Marcus Foligno trade will annoy me forever. 

I think we have a few guys who won't be pushed around easily, but I'm just not sure what happens if the truly big guys decide to target a Mitts or Quinn or somebody smaller. Or Maroon runs over our goalie as he is fond of doing from time to time. This team didn't even answer the Kucherov hit so all I can do is hope it'll be different now.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

The Marcus Foligno trade will annoy me forever. 

I think we have a few guys who won't be pushed around easily, but I'm just not sure what happens if the truly big guys decide to target a Mitts or Quinn or somebody smaller. Or Maroon runs over our goalie as he is fond of doing from time to time. This team didn't even answer the Kucherov hit so all I can do is hope it'll be different now.

In retrospect it was another awful Botteril move.  A good young forward who is tough and intense and has some skill for a very-close-to-done Pommer and a decent RHD in Scandella that they totally squandered, healthy-scratching him for a lengthy period and then dumping him for a 4th to Montreal, who turned around and traded him for a 2nd a month later — and not much later we found ourselves short on RHD.

As for your main point here, I agree that one or 2 more guys with size and an edge would be useful.  Maybe one of the lower-round picks who will be in Rochester this year will make his bones this way.  

8 hours ago, dudacek said:

Trying to put together a depth chart is impossible, let only predicting lines. The ability of players to play multiple positions really complicates things.

I’ve got the pecking order something like this starting camp, based on the way the year finished. But I don’t expect it to shake out this way on the ice:

Skinner Thompson Tuch

Olofsson Mittelstadt/Cozens Okposo

Asplund Girgensons Hinostroza

Quinn Krebs Peterka

Sheahan Bjork 

There is a lot of fluidity there, both up and down and between positions.

You almost always have Quinn on the left, not that it matters with wingers, but did he line up at mostly LW last season? 

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

You almost always have Quinn on the left, not that it matters with wingers, but did he line up at mostly LW last season? 

Yes. And when he and Peterka played together they were always on their off hands, at least from what I remember.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 hours ago, nfreeman said:

In retrospect it was another awful Botteril move.  A good young forward who is tough and intense and has some skill for a very-close-to-done Pommer and a decent RHD in Scandella that they totally squandered, healthy-scratching him for a lengthy period and then dumping him for a 4th to Montreal, who turned around and traded him for a 2nd a month later — and not much later we found ourselves short on RHD.

As for your main point here, I agree that one or 2 more guys with size and an edge would be useful.  Maybe one of the lower-round picks who will be in Rochester this year will make his bones this way.  

Getting Scandella wasn't a bad move. We were desperately short of D men at the time (JBot made a mess of that later obviously but when he got here we were lacking to say the least). but he tossed Foligno away like he was a worth nothing goon. We were just going to be "fast" remember, lol. Huge misunderstanding of how it takes heart and soul players to energize a roster. Ah well, all in the past. 

Let's hope your comment about somebody from Rochester pans out. 

• Like (+1) 3

13 hours ago, Thorny said:

My understanding is that Jack Quinn likes his off hand side because it allows him to cut into the center to take shots. Also he can be loaded and ready to go on cross ice passes for one timers by being on his off hand. Rochester seems to have used him like that often. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Getting Scandella wasn't a bad move. We were desperately short of D men at the time (JBot made a mess of that later obviously but when he got here we were lacking to say the least). but he tossed Foligno away like he was a worth nothing goon. We were just going to be "fast" remember, lol. Huge misunderstanding of how it takes heart and soul players to energize a roster. Ah well, all in the past. 

Let's hope your comment about somebody from Rochester pans out. 

Holy poop we agree. 

This right here is what we've needed for YEARS. Dahlin has heart. Tuch has heart. Cozens has heart. I think Tage is finding his more and more. Power has heart. Samuelsson has heart. I hope Quinn does. We know JJP does. There is a lot of heart on this team and you see it manifest with how close they are off the ice and how they interact. The biggest heart on the team though, Kyle Okposo. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.