Annual expectations thread 2022/23: #45 Casey Fitzgerald

dudacek

What do you expect from Casey Fitzgerald?   

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these best describes what you think the Sabres will get from Fitzgerald this year?

• He will make the team full-time and will add some grit and heart to the bottom pair
    • He will serve in a 7/8 role, filling in as needed by injury but also being a press box regular
    • He will not make the team initially, but will be among the first call-ups
    • He will be waived at some point and get picked up by another team

It wasn’t that long ago Casey Fitzgerald was having trouble fitting in to the 6-man rotation for Rochester. But his play during the season’s first half for the Amerks earned him a call-up and a serious look-see from the Sabres to close the year out.

Don Granato didn’t hesitate to throw him to the wolves, although his TOI dropped from a little over 19 minutes in February, to 15:11 in April.

His +/- was ugly considering the fact he only played 36 games. His Corsi was better, comparable to Jokiharju and Samuelsson at 48%. He finished 2nd on the team in hits/60 and 5th in blocked shots/60.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=170288

Fitzgerald — who signed with the Sabres after 4 full college seasons despite being eligible for free agency — made an impression on his Rochester coaches, who described him as a self-made, all-situations, 1st-pairing player at that level.

He also made an impression on fans in Buffalo with his willingness to play physical, step up for his teammates and generally attack the game.

It remains to be seen whether he has enough size and skill to supplement that effort and turn himself into a full-time NHLer. If he doesn’t, he can no longer be sent down without being exposed on waivers.

What do you expect from Casey Fitzgerald?

Edited by dudacek

I see Casey being the guy that pushes these young defensemen to not only bring it every night, but ensure they are showing game over game improvement.  Because he is going to be there to step in if Power shies away from the physical play, or Samuelson loses confidence, someone gets injured, etc.  Casey is the guy on the team that is looking for that opportunity to show his value and I'm excited to see what he does in '22-'23 if he gets a regular spot for 8-10 games. 

I think he beats out Pilut for the 7th D role on the team this year at some point because he has a broader skillset, and plays fearless.  I'm rooting for Pilut too, but IMO he has a lot more to prove than Fitz.  

I think there will be a spirited 3-way battle for the 6-7-8 slots among Casey, Bryson and Pilut.  It seems most likely that Bryson will win out initially, especially because Boosh will probably be the other guy on the 3rd pair, so some offense and puck-carrying will be needed from Boosh's partner, but I wouldn't be surprised with any outcome.  In any case due to injuries elsewhere in the D corps, 2 of those 3 will likely end up playing a lot.

I like Fitzie and the edge he brings.  It's an area where the Sabres are a bit deficient.  He just needs to improve his decision-making in the D zone, which will come with experience.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

I see Casey being the guy that pushes these young defensemen to not only bring it every night, but ensure they are showing game over game improvement.  Because he is going to be there to step in if Power shies away from the physical play, or Samuelson loses confidence, someone gets injured, etc.  Casey is the guy on the team that is looking for that opportunity to show his value and I'm excited to see what he does in '22-'23 if he gets a regular spot for 8-10 games. 

I think he beats out Pilut for the 7th D role on the team this year at some point because he has a broader skillset, and plays fearless.  I'm rooting for Pilut too, but IMO he has a lot more to prove than Fitz.  

I think Lybushkin is here if Power shies away from anything (which I don't see happening). 

As to the second part, Mattias Samuelson losing confidence under this coaching staff and knowing what we know about Muel's personality seems highly unlikely. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I think there will be a spirited 3-way battle for the 6-7-8 slots among Casey, Bryson and Pilut.  It seems most likely that Bryson will win out initially, especially because Boosh will probably be the other guy on the 3rd pair, so some offense and puck-carrying will be needed from Boosh's partner, but I wouldn't be surprised with any outcome.  In any case due to injuries elsewhere in the D corps, 2 of those 3 will likely end up playing a lot.

I like Fitzie and the edge he brings.  It's an area where the Sabres are a bit deficient.  He just needs to improve his decision-making in the D zone, which will come with experience.

I would add Clague in that battle, he has NHL experience.

Edited by French Collection

16 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I would add Clague in that battle, he has NHL experience.

To lesser extent Davies and Priskie as well.

Those 3, Pilut and Fitzpatrick are all 24-26 and proven at the AHL level.

They’re all be coming hard for Bryon’s #6 slot and it will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

I think he will be the 7/8 maybe even 9/10, or bust.

If he is waived there is about a 60/40 chance that he will be claimed by some other team.

I could also see him traded for some pick or other.

If the Sabres were further along (similar position as the 2006 team) I think they would keep him up with the team and in the press box until needed by injury necessity.

+++++

I like him and his grit, but the Sabres have better options at D now.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.