Annual expectations thread 2022/23: #41 Craig Anderson

dudacek

What do you expect from Craig Anderson?   

42 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these best describes what you think the Sabres will get from Anderson this year?

• He will once again serve as the Sabres nominal #1, playing about 40 games and winning more than he loses
    • He will ease comfortably into a back-up role, playing 20-30 games and performing decently when called upon.
    • He will struggle, with his performance and/or with his health, and will be an emergency fill-in at best by the stretch drive

Two numbers stand out while considering what Craig Anderson meant to the Sabres last year.

The first is .897, a save percentage that ranked Anderson 45th among the 53 NHL goalies who played at least 25 games.

The second is .548, Anderson’s winning percentage, good for 18th out of the same pool. This on a team with an overall points percentage of .454.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=130908

The Sabres didn’t ignore the first set of numbers, signing Eric Comrie to compete with Anderson and Ukko-Pekka Lukkonnen for the starter’s job. But not before they doubled down on the latter, re-signing Anderson for another year while giving him a raise from $750,000 to as high as  $2 million if he hits incentives.

It can’t be ignored that Anderson is 41 and was pulled off the retirement heap last summer after playing just 4 games the previous season. It should also not be forgotten that the last time he played more than 30 games and put up a save percentage over .903 was in 2017.

But Kevyn Adams said he also couldn’t ignore the effect the cagey vet — who called last season one of the most fun he’d ever experienced — had on his young team:

"He gave us a chance to win when he was in the net. He played well, and he also gave our team confidence. When you look at our young D corps, just that kind of mentorship that he showed I think really went a long way for some of our defensemen."

What do you expect from Craig Anderson this year?

(Last year’s takes here):

Edited by dudacek

The communication and poise and positioning while anticipating the play will be there. The young defense will look calm in front of him. I hope Anderson is able to give the team 15-20 solid games as the backup and gets good offensive support so he can again scrape together a winning record. But like last year, I don't see Anderson exceeding .900 sv%.

The team needs Comrie to be a #1 for 45-50 games, get the 15-20 from Anderson, and then give UPL a handful to showcase as backup for next season, if warranted. (And save 6 games for Levi and Portillo to get their .940+ and 1 shutout each.)

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

What's performing decently? He's gonna play 20 games but... idk if I'll call his .900sv% decent. 

I need an option between 2 and 3 I think. But I'll pick one. 

Yep.

He'll be good-ish if he only plays 20 or so games.  If he's expected to play much more than that, he'll wear down.  Expect he'll be ~0.905 S% if he plays 20 or less.  ~0.895 if he plays significantly more than that.

Will be surprised if he doesn't spend at least a couple of weeks on IR.

He'll do okay this season and continue to be a good mentor to the younger players.  I think that he'll do better than we expect in the backup role (30 games and giving the team a chance to win).  Comrie needs to step up and I hope he is ready for a big role.  As stated by many the goal position is the biggest concern on this team again this season.

• Like (+1) 1

I sure hope Comrie beats him out for #1.  

I put down 2, for 20 decent games (like when he was healthy and fresh last season).  His leadership is important.  

I think 30 games for Anderson is asking a lot and expect UPL to surface, especially if Comrie falters. 

47 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I sure hope Comrie beats him out for #1.  

I put down 2, for 20 decent games (like when he was healthy and fresh last season).  His leadership is important.  

I think 30 games for Anderson is asking a lot and expect UPL to surface, especially if Comrie falters. 

An ideal scenario is Anderson's role starting as Comrie's backup, slowly giving way to UPL, then riding off into the sunset.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.