Annual expectations thread 2022/23: #29 Vinnie Hinostroza

dudacek

What do you expect from Vinnie Hinostroza?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these best describes what you think the Sabres will get from Hinostroza this year?

• A lineup regular when healthy, with 15ish goals and a similar number of assists
    • The 13th forward playing 60-70 games and scoring about 10 goals
    • A spare part who plays less than 40 games

The Sabres signed a number of cheap bottom-of-the-lineup veterans last summer that Sabrespace collectively dubbed the JAGs: low-maintenance, good-guy space-fillers designed to buy time and not do much else.

Most of them did exactly what they were signed to do.

Vinnie was the exception, finishing 6th among forwards in goals, points/60 minutes and ES ice time, while basically breaking even as a puck possession player.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=130908

His efforts — alone among the Sabres UFA players — earned him a contract extension. That 1-year extension included a raise from $1 to $1.7 million.

The money quotes?

Granato: “We missed that guy that kind of drags others into the fight because he just plays at such a high pace. If you’re his two linemates and you’re not ready to play at a high pace, you’re either gonna hear from him or you’re not going to be able to keep up.”

Hinostroza: “You don’t get to see the inside of the locker room and really how close-knit this team is and how close it is to being something really special. I think being a part of it is something really cool. This is a place I want to be. I don’t want to keep moving around. I want to be somewhere that I love and I love it here.”

What do you expect from Vinnie Hinostroza?

(Last year’s takes here):

• Like (+1) 1

Hino was a very pleasant surprise last season. He started the year with Skinner-Mitts on the top line. Mitts was injured immediately to dissolve that and Tage and VO became the top line, but Hinostroza still remained in the top 6 until Thanksgiving (US version). An injury in January and Tuch's arrival meant he was not getting back into the top 6, but he still produced some points until April when he had only 2 goals. His playing time dropped from 14:06 min pre- to 13:33 post-All-Star Game. I see much of the same this season.

Hino starts as 4RW, moves around the lineup a bit, but keeps his speed dialed up at all times. I see 30 points, especially since he can open up the ice. Something like Quinn- Krebs/Mitts- Hino as a 4th line option early in the year. By season's end, JJP might overtake his spot in the lineup and Hino becomes a very solid 13.

I’d say option 2 if the game count were less high. I ended up with option 1 due to that as I’d say he’s a regular if he plays 70 games. 

My best guess is he starts as a regular but is overtaken by Peterka as the year goes on. However he continues to be a top tier sub for injuries all year long with 20 to 30 pts based on his usage

Can we chose from all 3?

Expect he'll be top 9 at the beginning, get hurt fairly early and by the time he comes back the kids will have earned his ice time & he'll become the 13th when all are healthy.  (As if that would ever happen after the 2nd week of the year.)  He is what he is & if he can get bumped in actuality to 13 rather than just on paper/theoretically then this could be a good season if Comrie pans out.

Personally I think JJP might end up back in Rochester for a little bit and Hinnestroza gets some time. When JJP comes up in December due to injuries and to see how he looks, he will stay up. At some point Bjork is getting waived or traded, there just isn't a spot for him. 

I'm not predicting anything. But I am a Vinnie fan. I think the quote from Granato say a lot about him. We think stars are the ones who have to hold teams accountable but a player who knows their role and plays it can demand accountability. There's something about his game I really like and it predates his time in Buffalo.

Eventually he will begin to lose playing time, but there are others that will first... starting with Bjork as mentioned above.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, LTS said:

I'm not predicting anything. But I am a Vinnie fan. I think the quote from Granato say a lot about him. We think stars are the ones who have to hold teams accountable but a player who knows their role and plays it can demand accountability. There's something about his game I really like and it predates his time in Buffalo.

Eventually he will begin to lose playing time, but there are others that will first... starting with Bjork as mentioned above.

I’m expecting Vinnie will see at least 65 games this season.  He’s valued by the Sabres staff.

I chose the 2nd option.  I like Vinny, and I think KA and the coaches like him, and that guys like Quinn, JJP, Krebs, Asplund, Sheahan and perhaps Mitts will have to work like crazy to stay above him in the rotation, but I think the team views him kinda that way too -- i.e. as a bar for those guys to clear if they want to become NHL regulars. 

Vinny got under 14 min of ice time per game last year -- less than all of the regulars (including Caggiula!) except Eakin, Bjork and Hayden.  With those JAGs being presumably replaced by better guys like Quinn, JJP and Krebs, it seems likely that Vinny will slot in as the 13th or 14th forward but will end up dressing for most games due to injuries, rookie inconsistency, etc.

• Like (+1) 2

I agree, I see Vinnie playing most nights as the injury fill in and rest day replacement.  Having Vinnie gives DG a Swiss Army Knife player who can sub in anywhere and the added luxury of giving others a game off periodically to rest nagging injuries.  I can also see Vinnie getting hot and sending someone who is struggling to the bench.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.