Buffalo Bills 2022-23

spndnchz

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

He was a marketer and hanging around Bulter or Donahoe never made him a football man.   And like most marketers, the thing he marketed more than any other was himself.  And it reads like you had personal encounters with him, and that you along w/ Wilson & the Pegulas bought what he was selling. 

SOB should never have become effectively the team president after Donahoe was fired.  Way outside his wheelhouse.  That he had the chutzpah to allow himself to become the GM after Levy left is absolutely ridiculous.  Notice how the timing of the Bills & Sabres turning to #### coincides with his gaining ownership's ear?  Pretty sure neither was a coincidence.

He helped bring back a way past his expiration date Levy, brought us the Toronto Bills, through the 3 headed GM monster that was him, Nix, & Jauron brought us Aaron Maybin, directly brought us Rex Ryan, & brought us Botterill.  Heck of a job there, Brandon.

Not sure where you're getting that things were bad under Butler, they weren't.  (Definitely not when he cared, although he did pretty much set them up into cap he'll before leaving.)  And until Butler decided he was going to leave Buffalo because he would never get a fair contract, he did a very good job.  He mysteriously (ya, right)  turned into a drafting moron his last draft w/ the Bills, but other than that he was solid & the Bills were very good.  Probably should've won the SB in '99 if not for 1 tragic failed kickoff coverage.  Donahoe was very successful before Buffalo and probably would've gotten the Bills to the playoffs given more time.  Seeing how things went for Black, have to wonder how much, if any, influence Brandon had in that canning.  Their being excellent football men didn't make their "buddy" one via osmosis.

Didn’t mean to imply things were bad under John Butler so know that I don’t feel that way and never have. Sorry if I wasn’t clear on that point previously. Poor wording on my part. The worst thing I can say about him is that his loyalty resulted in an untenable cap situation eventually. I have a ton of respect for what John Butler accomplished in this league. Did a lot of video work for him at various times and know what a great football mind he was. 

Like I said, I have no intention of re-litigating Brandon’s tenure with the Bills. There’s a ton of myth out there and any light I might shed would simply be dismissed, anyway. Understandable for the average fan to feel that way given the team’s struggles during those years. I’ll say this though, two of the best personnel minds the game has seen thought highly of his diligence and grasp of personnel related issues. The fact that they took the time to spend so much time with him in the film room and at various league meetings over those eight years speaks to that as well. They certainly didn’t view him as “just the marketing guy.” 

33 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Didn’t mean to imply things were bad under John Butler so know that I don’t feel that way and never have. Sorry if I wasn’t clear on that point previously. Poor wording on my part. The worst thing I can say about him is that his loyalty resulted in an untenable cap situation eventually. I have a ton of respect for what John Butler accomplished in this league. Did a lot of video work for him at various times and know what a great football mind he was. 

Like I said, I have no intention of re-litigating Brandon’s tenure with the Bills. There’s a ton of myth out there and any light I might shed would simply be dismissed, anyway. Understandable for the average fan to feel that way given the team’s struggles during those years. I’ll say this though, two of the best personnel minds the game has seen thought highly of his diligence and grasp of personnel related issues. The fact that they took the time to spend so much time with him in the film room and at various league meetings over those eight years speaks to that as well. They certainly didn’t view him as “just the marketing guy.” 

Not disagreeing with anything you're saying, but the combination of people like Butler and Donahoe liking the guy combined with his perpetual looking out for himself & selling himself 1st before anything else ###### the Bills ROYALLY and the Sabres as well.  We, the fans paid for it.

He came along at a time when Wilson's capacities were diminishing.  Expect that he wouldn't have been able to ingratiate himself so far into the organization had Wilson been younger.  Fortunately, the Pegulas saw through him before we went through an additional decade of incompetence.  EVERY ####### move that happened under Brandon was selling sizzle rather than steak &/or selling us out.  Brandon's a snake oil salesman.  He & Whalley are perfect fits for the XFL.

15 hours ago, JustOneParade said:

Been hearing and reading a lot lately about Josh Allen's progression as a quarterback. QB's get better with games played. They see more, experience more, learn more. Confusion evaporates over time. Nothing groundbreaking there. But what gets me really excited about watching JA in the years to come?

I'll leave you with this: Career Games Played to Date

Tom Brady - 302

Aaron Rodgers - 197

Josh Allen - 62

...and Josh is arguably as good as the other two, possibly better.

11 hours ago, LTS said:

I don't think it's right to call Allen a unicorn.  He's a player who, in the past, most executives overlooked because of some preconceived notion of what a "QB" is. Much like other players who have altered the path of the position throughout the past.

He's a unicorn.  He has a unique combination of physical gifts and skills.  He *is* altering the concept of what a QB is, sure, but others have done similar things:  Kordell Stewart and Lamar Jackson come to mind in terms of gifted running quarterbacks.  But Josh is significantly larger than they are.  And now, with an improved offensive line, he doesn't have to run as often, and he has more time to make his reads.  Taking the running dimension away, he's one of the better passers in the league and is still getting better.  Add the running back in and yeah, he's a unicorn.

17 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

He did say Ram-pede, but it was more Ram-plode by the end. 

As for Ozzy you didn't miss anything.

Pretty solid performance for a guy who is like Mogilny jersey years old. 

I don’t know what that first song was, would’ve preferred to hear Electric Funeral. 

9 hours ago, Doohickie said:

He's a unicorn.  He has a unique combination of physical gifts and skills.  He *is* altering the concept of what a QB is, sure, but others have done similar things:  Kordell Stewart and Lamar Jackson come to mind in terms of gifted running quarterbacks.  But Josh is significantly larger than they are.  And now, with an improved offensive line, he doesn't have to run as often, and he has more time to make his reads.  Taking the running dimension away, he's one of the better passers in the league and is still getting better.  Add the running back in and yeah, he's a unicorn.

Nope.  He's a centaur.  Unicorns don't have arms.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 9/10/2022 at 12:07 PM, Buffalonill said:

I have to disagree there hasn't been a player of his Caliber and never will be .

Just like brady 

Just like Megatron

Just like deion Sanders

Just like barry sanders.

I'm just going to disagree here. I almost don't want to make a counter-argument, but I suppose I should.

Tom Brady is an exceptional quarterback, I would consider him the best ever. But I would not consider him anything unique. He's accomplished unique things but much of that is related to the team around him, his coach, and other factors.

Megatron? Perhaps you know something I don't?  He was a great wide receiver, but nothing unique.

Deion Sanders? I'd love to know why.

Barry Sanders - possibly.. but we'll never really know what he could have been.

But then, to say there will never be another is just wrong. First, Josh Allen hasn't accomplished much. He still shows potential. Imagine, we're all giddy about his potential but if you talk about the potential of the Sabres prospects people get all doom and gloom.  Anyway, he's been good, but he's hasn't won anything yet.

And even then.. there will be another like him, perhaps someone even better.

57 minutes ago, LTS said:

I'm just going to disagree here. I almost don't want to make a counter-argument, but I suppose I should.

Tom Brady is an exceptional quarterback, I would consider him the best ever. But I would not consider him anything unique. He's accomplished unique things but much of that is related to the team around him, his coach, and other factors.

Megatron? Perhaps you know something I don't?  He was a great wide receiver, but nothing unique.

Deion Sanders? I'd love to know why.

Barry Sanders - possibly.. but we'll never really know what he could have been.

But then, to say there will never be another is just wrong. First, Josh Allen hasn't accomplished much. He still shows potential. Imagine, we're all giddy about his potential but if you talk about the potential of the Sabres prospects people get all doom and gloom.  Anyway, he's been good, but he's hasn't won anything yet.

And even then.. there will be another like him, perhaps someone even better.

Josh is playing like no other QB I have seen at this point(style-wise)..But you are correct he hasnt accomplished tremendous things yet.--he is awfully fun to watch though:)

2 minutes ago, calti said:

trubiskey isnt a legit starter in the nfl.

21-36 for nearly 200 yards and a TD away at the defending AFC champs, with at least a tie?  Of course he is a legit starter in the NFL.  Not top five or ten, certainly, but a legit starter.

EDIT:  They won.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Eleven said:

21-36 for nearly 200 yards and a TD away at the defending AFC champs, with at least a tie?  Of course he is a legit starter in the NFL.  Not top five or ten, certainly, but a legit starter.

EDIT:  They won.

of course--but it was a major coaching eff up by cinci.

i put trubisky in there with the fitzys of the world.

hey--but i wish him well and hope he proves me wrong

Edited by calti

10 minutes ago, calti said:

of course--but it was a major coaching eff up by cinci.

i put trubisky in there with the fitzys of the world.

hey--but i wish him well and hope he proves me wrong

I'd be more worried about Burrow than Trubisky.  I think last year is going to be exposed as an outlier for that whole team.

6 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I'd be more worried about Burrow than Trubisky.  I think last year is going to be exposed as an outlier for that whole team.

As bad an overall game as Burrow had with the game on the line he essentially won it twice but it all went to ***** because our starting long snapper got hurt. 

2 hours ago, sabremike said:

As bad an overall game as Burrow had with the game on the line he essentially won it twice but it all went to ***** because our starting long snapper got hurt. 

If it comes down to your long snapper, then no, the QB did not have it won.

See also SB XXV.

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

Going to be a miserable year for my packers .

icegif-741.gif

How did you feel last year when they lost 38-3 vs the Saints in the season opener? Don’t know if they’ll go 13-3 again, but as long as they have a healthy AR, then I expect them to right the ship and win the division again.

Pittsburgh is a great franchise.Something that the Bills and Bengals can strive for one day. A bad season for them is 8-8 and they are always competitive.Trubisky--a space filler--will still be servicable enough to allow pitt to win 8-10 games. And this is still an off kinda year for them.

8 hours ago, calti said:

Pittsburgh is a great franchise.Something that the Bills and Bengals can strive for one day. A bad season for them is 8-8 and they are always competitive.Trubisky--a space filler--will still be servicable enough to allow pitt to win 8-10 games. And this is still an off kinda year for them.

Looks like Watt might have torn his pec. Huge loss.

20 hours ago, calti said:

Josh is playing like no other QB I have seen at this point(style-wise)..But you are correct he hasnt accomplished tremendous things yet.--he is awfully fun to watch though:)

Damn fun to watch. He's definitely a player you turn the game on for just to see what he does.  I thought Ben Roethlisburger was similar when he started. He certainly did not have the speed but I seem to recall him barreling through people.

47 minutes ago, LTS said:

Damn fun to watch. He's definitely a player you turn the game on for just to see what he does.  I thought Ben Roethlisburger was similar when he started. He certainly did not have the speed but I seem to recall him barreling through people.

I mostly remember Roethlisburger being able to shed tackles due to his size. I don't know if I've seen a QB that's just as happy hurdling or throwing a stiff-arm as Allen, it's quite incredible.

1 hour ago, LTS said:

Just looked at his stats. Was only over 100 yards rushing in a season four times, with a high of 204 yards.  Other than both having good size, I don't think they are comparable at all from a rushing perspective.