Buffalo Bills 2022-23

spndnchz

56 minutes ago, Taro T said:

So, what exactly were the trainers & the engineers supposed to do? 

Maybe there was nothing to do. I'm just wondering generally: The Bills often go to Miami in September and win. Maybe yesterday's conditions were just unusual.

17 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

We had 500 yards of offense and only 17 points to show. Execution on offense was the issue.  

Hear, hear. I ain't got time for the "Bills don't win close games" narrative.

The Bills lost.  Players made mistakes. Injuries were a bigger issue than normal.  Coaches made some bad decisions.  It happens to every team, each and every week in the NFL.  Did I like that the Bills lost? of course not.  But the last 12-16 hours I have had a hard time reading the Bills forums.  It is becoming harder and harder for me to read/engage in conversation where many posters want to place blame on 'their favorite place or topic' for a loss.  They lost. They will lose again. The team that wins the superbowl will likely have a number of losses throughout the year.  

Leading up to the Sabres season, the Sabres are likely to be a LOT less successful than the Bills this year, but I'm looking forward to the Sabres season more.  Why?  When fans have such high expectations like they do for the Bills this year, then every loss, every bad QUARTER leads to non-stop whining and complaining by some fans that takes away the enjoyment from the season.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

31 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

The Bills lost.  Players made mistakes. Injuries were a bigger issue than normal.  Coaches made some bad decisions.  It happens to every team, each and every week in the NFL.  Did I like that the Bills lost? of course not.  But the last 12-16 hours I have had a hard time reading the Bills forums.  It is becoming harder and harder for me to read/engage in conversation where many posters want to place blame on 'their favorite place or topic' for a loss.  They lost. They will lose again. The team that wins the superbowl will likely have a number of losses throughout the year.  

Leading up to the Sabres season, the Sabres are likely to be a LOT less successful than the Bills this year, but I'm looking forward to the Sabres season more.  Why?  When fans have such high expectations like they do for the Bills this year, then every loss, every bad QUARTER leads to non-stop whining and complaining by some fans that takes away the enjoyment from the season.

Agreed. I avoided even reading this thread until I was out of other things to read, and this group is known to be measured and sensible in their reactions.

29 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Easy solution.  Don't read Bills forums for 24 hours after a loss.

It's not like they've been Meccas of objectivity after losses in prior years.  

And complaining that forcing 300 lb men to stay in the sun for 3 over hours with only a 15 minute break when it's almost 90 with 70%+ humidity, no air movement, and no shade shortly after noon is a tragedy waiting to happen isn't making excuses for the loss.  The league made changes to what's acceptable in training camp & practices after the Korey Stringer tragedy.  Are they going to wait for another tragedy before they make additional tweaks?  Something as simple as either pushing the game start back to 4PM or letting the players into the locker rooms after each Q could prevent the sunstrokes we saw.

As for the game, it was a perfect storm of injuries, weather, & execution and even with all that they were within 4 seconds of either half from winning.  Can't wait for the Ravens game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, Taro T said:

You telling the couple of thousand people that paid a couple hundred to sit in what were premium seats that they now won't be able to see anything but the Bills sideline?

Other than that, it's a brilliant solution.

There are party tents that are lower than that, but yeah.

Drive through the barrio during graduation season and you see these all over the place.

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

There is that.  There is also the fact that a lot of early season Gulf Coast SEC games are played at night and also, not many have a humidity of over 70% when it's nearly 90 out with no clouds in sight.  It was a "perfect storm" of conditions essentially making it like they were playing in 120 temperatures. 

A lot of them are played during the day, too.  And the practices are probably during the day.

Look, guys and gals, the Super Bowl was played in 88 degree weather last February, during a period when there were heat advisories in So Cal.*  I'm sure LA is less humid than Miami, but yesterday's conditions are not exactly unheard of...  World Cups, numerous Olympics, the Australian Open, etc., on top of non-dome college football.  Coach McD said that he told his players to start hydrating immediately after the Tennessee game.  If so, they should have listened.  

*https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2022/02/09/super-bowl-heat-advisory-california/

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Leslie Frazier plays not to lose. He never plays to win. 

Nope but the Bills don't have the killer instincts to destroy teams in close games. They choke again and again and again. They've lost something like 8 one score games in a row. 

The corollary to that is that they destroy teams in blowouts.  When they lose, they usually keep it close.

9 minutes ago, Eleven said:

the Super Bowl was played in 88 degree weather last February, during a period when there were heat advisories in So Cal.*

in a venue that has the capacity to substantially control its climate.

10 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I'm sure LA is less humid than Miami

Robert Deniro Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

10 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Coach McD said that he told his players to start hydrating immediately after the Tennessee game.  If so, they should have listened.  

We may presume they did. There's more to preparing for those conditions than just hydrating, though. I hope the team did all it could.

4 hours ago, Taro T said:

How often in September?  They play those home games at night for a reason.

I decided to check, because that's a good question.  Their first home afternoon games:

2021 - October 16 (12:00)
2020 - December 19 (3:30)
2019 - October 5 (12:00)
2018 - October 13 (3:30)
2017 - October 14 (3:30)
2016 - November 19 (1:00)
2015 - September 19 (3:30)
2014 - N/A
2013 - October 12 (3:30)
2012 - November 17 (3:30)

So in the last 10 seasons, they've had exactly 1 home afternoon game in September, 7 years ago (and no afternoon games yet this year).

• Thanks (+1) 1

A tough loss against a good team in less than ideal conditions.

The Bills could have easily won this one.  No team will win them all.  I think that a few questionable coaching calls cost them the game more than anything else.  That said, it seemed the the heat was a factor in the offense execution as the game went on.  At this time of year in south Florida I think this should have been a night game.

The Bills are and will continue to be fine.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Eh, don't worry about it; learn from it and move on. I still liken this season for the Bills to '96 GB. It's your year. Stay patient. Ride the defense and don't worry about a September loss in Florida heat (the HHH Metrodome curse for Favre -- who just couldn't win there). Don't worry about it. The Bills will outlast their division to the playoffs and get their home games. Injuries will test and forge new strengths (Brooks, Freeman, Chmura all out at the same time...  hey, it turns out Levens is real running back). Re-learn, re-forge, and win. There will be setbacks, but ride the defense and a scrambling Allen when needed, and win. Don't overreact or worry at this.

Edit: And what the hell is this "it's too hot/humid" garbage? Do you expect the NFL to cancel a Bills game from lake effect snow? Shut up. Every college and high school football team in the south plays in this heat. Suck it up, any crybabies who worry about heat and humidity. whiners.

I picked your comment, but it really applies to the whole debate.

The fundamental issue that I see is that the playing conditions are NOT equal for the teams in Miami. The broadcast crew immediately alluded to the renovations on Hard Rock stadium that put the Dolphins in the shade for the whole game and the Bills in the sun.  Playing in the heat it a thing, but it should at least be an equal thing.

With snow and cold, both teams play in it. Imagine if the visiting team did not get a heated bench, heaters, etc.  That would be almost the equivalent.

Overall, you deal with the weather, but I do think there's some level of shenanigans with the roof at Hard Rock.

4 hours ago, SwampD said:

I didn’t see the game, but of all the things I’ve heard about it, the most concerning thing is that, McD on a 3rd and a mile, once again, plays it conservative and only rushes 3 (has that ever worked for him?)

Yes.  They had pressure all game with their front 4 and decided instead to drop off and allow Miami's talented receivers to find holes in Buffalo's inexperienced secondary. It was a very, very bad play call.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I just wonder/worry that the after-effects of the game yesterday will alter this week's preparations. Practices adjusted and more players being 'limited' for some extra rest and recuperation. I've been in those circumstances. These guys are going to wake up tomorrow morning and still not feel good.

4 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Maybe there was nothing to do. I'm just wondering generally: The Bills often go to Miami in September and win. Maybe yesterday's conditions were just unusual.

Hear, hear. I ain't got time for the "Bills don't win close games" narrative.

How is it a narrative if it's true?

Also can we let the word narrative sit on the visitor sideline in Miami until it dies?

Edited by PASabreFan

Bills beat Miami 9/10 games.  Just like the Bills beat the Pats last year 9/10 times, it took an act of god of weather to screw it all up.  By the 2nd quarter what receivers and ends that were left were jogging their routes. This got worse as the game went on. 

yea coaching is a problem, but despite all the issues they had nearly 500 yards of offense, 40 minutes of possession and a bunch of bad bounces in a row. Losing an entire o line mid game gets ya out of whack. Bass missing is a rarity.  Etc. 

39 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

How is it a narrative if it's true?

Also can we let the word narrative sit on the visitor sideline in Miami until it dies?

It's not true, imo. It's truthy, maybe. I find it misleading.

"Narrative" is suffering from overuse. But it's often the best word for the job.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

A tough loss against a good team in less than ideal conditions.

The Bills could have easily won this one.  No team will win them all.  I think that a few questionable coaching calls cost them the game more than anything else.  That said, it seemed the the heat was a factor in the offense execution as the game went on.  At this time of year in south Florida I think this should have been a night game.

The Bills are and will continue to be fine.

I wouldn't say that..your team wasn't even a "team" and they still almost won .

A healthy bills team without the heatstroke weather wins that easily  10/10 times 

• Like (+1) 1

I was going to have to watch the game on delay, but it was spoiled by a loud-mouth Dolphins fan.  Not knowing how the game went, I couldn't say anything.  From the way he was spouting off, I would have thought we got crushed 41-19, not that we made mistakes and suffered heat stoke, dropping a very winnable game 21-19.

Edited by carpandean
  • Shocked 1