Buffalo Bills 2022-23

spndnchz

48 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This right here is what's wrong with sports fans in general.

There is no magic formula, but people keep convincing themselves there is while constantly looking for someone to blame.

Objectively, the Bills are one of the best-run franchises in football over the past few years.

Objectively they weren't good enough.

Who is a better bet to make the right moves to get them over the top? McDermott and Beane or the guy in the magic box (Rex Ryan, Doug Marrone, Chan Gailey, Perry Fewell, Dick Jauron, Mike Mularkey, Gregg Williams, Wade Phillips, Marv Levy, Hank Bullogh, Kay Stephenson, Chuck Knox...)

in what way? Their drafting is questionable, their acquisitions have been questionable, their coaching is in question. I don't think they are a badly run franchise but idk if I think they are "one of the best run". 

Again, you are comparing this to past Bills teams and that is not relevant when they should be compared to the league now. 

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

in what way? Their drafting is questionable, their acquisitions have been questionable, their coaching is in question. I don't think they are a badly run franchise but idk if I think they are "one of the best run". 

Again, you are comparing this to past Bills teams and that is not relevant when they should be compared to the league now. 

How many teams have been in the playoffs 5 of the last 6 years?

In the AFC, pretty sure it's just KC, the Cheats, & the Bills.

Don't pay that much attention to the NFC, but it's likely just the 9ers & the Pack.

Can a team be in a club that exclusive and NOT be "one of the best run?"

Maybe the Ravens OR Stealers are thetr too?

11 minutes ago, Taro T said:

How many teams have been in the playoffs 5 of the last 6 years?

In the AFC, pretty sure it's just KC, the Cheats, & the Bills.

Don't pay that much attention to the NFC, but it's likely just the 9ers & the Pack.

Can a team be in a club that exclusive and NOT be "one of the best run?"

Yes. Josh Allen is a cheat code. Look you aren't going to convince me this is the best run franchise after this season. There were obvious holes in March that were not touched, the GM hasn't drafted an all pro in 4 drafts, the defense bends continually and needed the best UFA edge to be good. It isn't important, I don't believe in the Bills coaches and GM so until they do something that changes it, you aren't going to convince me this team is "one of the best run". 

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Winning— you know, the way you measure success in sports.

Yes, they've made mistakes and they need to get better.

That's not the same as they are terrible and the need to be fired.

• Like (+1) 3

In a way, I'm not all that upset the season is over. That in no way means I didn't want them to win, but this season wasn't really super enjoyable to me.  With many 'experts', vegas odds, and most people in the fanbase labeling them the preseason Superbowl favorites....it was like almost any win was just 'expected' and any loss was a huge, big negative deal.  I'm hoping next year they are consisdered 'one of the top 4-6 teams' and not the favorite. 

Like the Sabres in 05-06 finishing with 110 points was a much more enjoyable season for me than the 06-07 team that finished with 113.  I dont' watch games in a bubble, for me it is a social experience (message boards, twitter, talk radio, etc) and dealing with angst and consternation after every loss from a team with high expectations is just not fun, at least for me. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Winning— you know, the way you measure success in sports.

Yes, they've made mistakes and they need to get better.

That's not the same as they are terrible and the need to be fired.

They didn't win. That's my issue. 

34 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

And only 1 team will win with that view.   Only ~3% of teams win by your standard.  It's fine that you view it that way.

But it's a tough slog if only the destination but not the journey matters.

30 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

They’ve won 51 times over the past 4 years. That’s mine.

Im not going to do the math, but we both know that’s far better than most NFL front offices - employed or unemployed.

I have no problem with people defining winning solely by Super Bowls if they want to set themselves up for regular disappointment.

I have a problem with people doing that and thinking the odds are good that there are people out there who are clearly better qualified to bring you success than Beane and McDermott.

I mean there might be, but your chances of hiring them aren’t great.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Thwomp! said:

What's the goal?  Good season or championship?  

I think Buffalo never wins anything because Buffalo teams and fans settle instead of strive for/demand greatness.

Ha - what? 

16 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It is such a crapshoot.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

They’ve won 51 times over the past 4 years. That’s mine.

Im not going to do the math, but we both know that’s far better than most NFL front offices - employed or unemployed.

I have no problem with people defining winning solely by Super Bowls if they want to set themselves up for regular disappointment.

I have a problem with people doing that and thinking the odds are good that there are people out there who are clearly better qualified to bring you success than Beane and McDermott.

After Georgia beat Ohio State they interviewed Kirby Smart on the field. He said some good things about his team but he also said they weren't good enough. He was especially harsh on his QB who to that point was 14-0 and 28-1 over the last 29 games. Why? Because if your standard is just "well we won so whatever" than you have no standard. Im not critical of them because they didn't win the Superbowl. I'm critical because in the last 5 years the Chiefs and Bengals have both gone to or won the Superbowl. Both have gone to the conference finals as well. Buffalo made the conference final once. So if winning some regular season games is your metric that's fine, but what they did this season and how they looked isn't acceptable and I don't honestly give a ***** about what happened in the 17 year drought. 

If you aren't even open to the idea that their are better ppl out there than Beane and McDermott, we should end this here because I'll don't believe that and you quoting 51 wins at me doesn't change that. 

Again you are content because they are good. I'm not. 

37 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I think everyone needs to remember 2016 and before and take a deep breath.

Things that aren't relevant. It isn't and you and others trying to tell me it is might be one of the weakest arguments ever proffered on this board. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

And only 1 team will win with that view.   Only ~3% of teams win by your standard.  It's fine that you view it that way.

But it's a tough slog if only the destination but not the journey matters.

You three don't understand what I am trying to point out. It's fine that is on me. The Bills aren't good enough, they were just blown out at home by the Bengals and it would have been the 2nd time in 4 weeks that happened. Beane's drafting is questionable. Dorsey's playcalling was HIGHLY questionable. Frazier's defense has choked in back to back to back playoffs. So if think that is okay, fine. But please stop acting like I am saying "superbowl or bust" because that's not it. This team looked like a dumpster fire in the playoffs, why can't we even consider that the coaching and management is part of the reason?

If Buffalo hadn't lost 13 seconds or had a close loss to the Bengals, I would view this differently but they didn't. It is the same mistakes on offense and the same easy ways to beat our defense. Guess we shall see how this year goes because they aren't firing anyone. 

Edited by LGR4GM

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Things that aren't relevant. It isn't and you and others trying to tell me it is might be one of the weakest arguments ever proffered on this board. 

It isn't an argument.  It's a way of looking at the state of affairs.

Think about your life ten years ago.  I don't mean vis-a-vis the Bills, I mean your life.  Are you happier now?  (Yes, you are.)  Similarly, are we Bills fans happier now than we were before?  If not, we're ungrateful shits who should be happier.

• dislike 1

11 minutes ago, Eleven said:

It isn't an argument.  It's a way of looking at the state of affairs.

Think about your life ten years ago.  I don't mean vis-a-vis the Bills, I mean your life.  Are you happier now?  (Yes, you are.)  Similarly, are we Bills fans happier now than we were before?  If not, we're ungrateful shits who should be happier.

I do not care. I, do not, care. You are conflating my happiness with the football team as well and I am perfectly happy. This is like saying oh in the 90s the Bills went to 4 Superbowls so don't criticize the team now, they gave you that. That isn't what this is about for me and you do not or will not understand my point. I do not care about the 17 year draught and using that as an excuse for why the Bills cannot even make their conference championship is a hell of a stretch. One I, one last time, do not care about. It is such an irrelevant point I cannot even begin to articulate why not making the playoffs for 17 years is irrelevant to 13 seconds and the Bengals asswhooping this team just experienced. I'm not ungrateful for questioning the current state of the team and honestly it is fairly offensive to suggest that. 

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I do not care. I, do not, care. You are conflating my happiness with the football team as well and I am perfectly happy. This is like saying oh in the 90s the Bills went to 4 Superbowls so don't criticize the team now, they gave you that. That isn't what this is about for me and you do not or will not understand my point. I do not care about the 17 year draught and using that as an excuse for why the Bills cannot even make their conference championship is a hell of a stretch. One I, one last time, do not care about. It is such an irrelevant point I cannot even begin to articulate why not making the playoffs for 17 years is irrelevant to 13 seconds and the Bengals asswhooping this team just experienced. I'm not ungrateful for questioning the current state of the team and honestly it is fairly offensive to suggest that. 

You're not getting it, my man, and you know that I'm on your side.  But things, even feelings, aren't static.

Edited by Eleven
  • dislike 1

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

I've stated my feelings. You don't have to agree. Hopefully this upcoming season is better. 

Guess that makes 2 of us. 

I will try to articulate better next time.  EDIT:  This is sincere and not being a dick.

Edited by Eleven

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

After Georgia beat Ohio State they interviewed Kirby Smart on the field. He said some good things about his team but he also said they weren't good enough. He was especially harsh on his QB who to that point was 14-0 and 28-1 over the last 29 games. Why? Because if your standard is just "well we won so whatever" than you have no standard. Im not critical of them because they didn't win the Superbowl. I'm critical because in the last 5 years the Chiefs and Bengals have both gone to or won the Superbowl. Both have gone to the conference finals as well. Buffalo made the conference final once. So if winning some regular season games is your metric that's fine, but what they did this season and how they looked isn't acceptable and I don't honestly give a ***** about what happened in the 17 year drought. 

If you aren't even open to the idea that their are better ppl out there than Beane and McDermott, we should end this here because I'll don't believe that and you quoting 51 wins at me doesn't change that. 

Again you are content because they are good. I'm not. 

We aren't going to see eye to eye on this, which is perfectly fine, so this is likely the last thing said to you about it.  

Do you HONESTLY think Smart would've thrown his QB under the bus if OSU had made the field goal?  Not a chance IMHO.

McDermott was critical of his team in game vs Cincy, but not so much afterwards.  Why?  Because leaders don't blame people under them publicly for losses especially not in the heat of the moment.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Everything is questionable when you don't win the Lombardi. Whomever wins this year will have questions about next year. That's life in the big leagues.

I'm not wearing rose colored glasses. I've stated previously that the OC and DC cause me concerns. Dorsey will hopefully learn and adapt. I await word on what the plan is for the defense and if a new coordinator is in order.