Buffalo Bills 2022-23

spndnchz

11 hours ago, JujuFish said:

Yeah, I think Dorsey has the same gunslinger attitude Allen has, and that's why Allen likes him so much.

Seems to me like Dorsey thinks he’s playing a video game, instead of a real game. The back to back calls for deep throws to Davis made me think of a kid playing a video game. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Seems to me like Dorsey thinks he’s playing a video game, instead of a real game. The back to back calls for deep throws to Davis made me think of a kid playing a video game. 

Sounds like a "they'll never expect this!" play call. They won't expect it because it's a lower-chance of success idea.

Why is the perception that the Bills are an extraordinarily talented team with inferior coaching, finding ways to nearly lose?

Why isn’t it that they are a very good and well-coached team finding ways to win despite the buckets of adversity spelled out by @That Aud Smell up-thread?

They only have 2 extraordinary talents on the roster, yet they are 14-3. Their losses are by the smallest of margins.

The distortions of fan psychology are fascinating.

Edited by dudacek

8 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

7 minutes ago, MattPie said:

Sounds like a "they'll never expect this!" play call. They won't expect it because it's a lower-chance of success idea.

I think the Bills are going to take what the D gives them.  The dolphins were in cover zero bringing the house often against the Bills.  Their go to counter to cover zero is over the top.  It’s frustrating when they don’t hit it but I can understand sticking to their game plan. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Why is the perception that the Bills are an extraordinarily talented team with inferior coaching, finding ways to nearly lose?

Why isn’t it that they are a very good and well-coached team finding ways to win despite the buckets of adversity spelled out by @That Aud Smell up-thread?

They only have 2 extraordinary talents on the roster, yet they are 14-3. Their losses are by the smallest of margins.

Thanks - but we gotta hat tip @GASabresIUFANfor that inventory of woe and limitation.

And I agree with this 100%. It's impressive what they've been able to accomplish with a roster that is lacking the special talents that other playoff rosters boast. When I look at the 49ers and Eagles? Sheesh.

Come to think of it, I think the Chiefs can make a similar claim to having an elite QB, a stud WR1 (he's a tight end), and a hodge podge for the rest of the offence. Thing is, the Chiefs also have Chris Jones on D. The Bills just lack that sort of playmaker on defence. (Miss you Von.) Oh - and the Chiefs also have an all-time great offensive mastermind at the helm.)

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Totally agree. I checked this thread during halftime-ish, and I saw the two most recent posts were “in serious trouble. I don't see them winning this game,” and “this is why I tell people I don’t get excited about the Bills because they are the only team I know that always find new and creative ways to blow games. It’s been that way since the early 80’s!”

And I thought, I don’t think the Fins have 100 yards of total offense yet. We will be fine.

I am not calling either poster out because I see this nervous & emotional energy a lot. I think it’s 50 years of losing and losing in the incredible ways Buffalo has. Combine that with the hot take energy of sports talk (and being first/loudest with said opinion), and this is what we get. 

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

I’m not sure that’s 100% accurate.  On offense that’s true.  However on defense there is serious talent although much of it has been injured this season.  Matt Milano is an amazing linebacker who is finally getting his due.  White , when healthy, is a perennial all-pro DB.  Miller is a Hall of Famer and the Hyde/Poyer combo is the best safety combo in the NFL.  

Ultimately the Bills great accomplishment this season is continuing to win without the services for all or significant part of the season from the top tier players on the defense in White, Miller, Hyde and Poyer.  No other team in the NFL could have survived much less thrived with losing that much top end D talent.  It is a real compliment to Hamlin (also now out), Elam (a rookie), Rousseau (a 2nd year player) and others who stepped up to fill the gaps.  Rousseau imho is on the verge of being a long-term difference maker.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’m not sure that’s 100% accurate.  On offense that’s true.  However on defense there is serious talent although much of it has been injured this season.  Matt Milano is an amazing linebacker who is finally getting his due.  White , when healthy, is a perennial all-pro DB.  Miller is a Hall of Famer and the Hyde/Poyer combo is the best safety combo in the NFL.  

Ultimately the Bills great accomplishment this season is continuing to win without the services for all or significant part of the season from the top tier players on the defense in White, Miller, Hyde and Poyer.  No other team in the NFL could have survived much less thrived with losing that much top end D talent.  It is a real compliment to Hamlin (also now out), Elam (a rookie), Rousseau (a 2nd year player) and others who stepped up to fill the gaps.  Rousseau imho is on the verge of being a long-term difference maker.

This is a message board, you are not allowed to make positive comments.😜😀

• Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

This doesn’t conflict at all with what I said.

Hyde, Miller, White, Milano and Poyer at the top of their games are excellent football players. None are extraordinary, not even Miller at this point in his career. Each, save Milano, has been absent or limited in varying degrees.

The rest supports my point.

44 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

But we do not have the proverbial game wrecker on D. Even Milano, who had a career year and is an excellent pro. He is not a game wrecker.

I enjoyed how Von Miller, in the games he did play for the Bills, would occasionally bide his time and pick his spot. And then BOOM - a 3rd down sack or what have you. That sort of thing is crucial, especially in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, dudacek said:

Hyde, Miller, White, Milano and Poyer at the top of their games are excellent football players.

I couldn't disagree more.  White, when fully healthy, locks down half the field. That is extraordinary.  Milano may be one of the top 5 linebackers in football right now.  He is a sure tackler, can cover RBs and TEs and sack the QB.  With him the Bills are tough against the run but without him teams can run all over us.  He was voted a 1st team All-Pro this season along with former Dawg Roquan Smith (who is the best college LB I have even seen) and Fred Warner.  He is an extraordinary player.  

As to Poyer - here were his stats in 2021 (https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/lists/nfls-best-safeties-jordan-poyer-tyrann-matthieu-minkah-fitzpatrick-justin-simmons/)  

Last season, Poyer allowed 13 catches on 28 targets for 61 yards, 40 air yards, no touchdowns, five interceptions, and an opponent passer rating of,,,

,,,wait for it…

McCourty ranked 2nd at a passer rating of 31.8 and Marcus Williams was 3rd at 54.2.  By any measure that's extraordinary.  Injuries have cost him this season, but that doesn't change the fact that he is an amazing safety and maybe the best safety in the NFL when fully healthy.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

58 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I couldn't disagree more.  White, when fully healthy, locks down half the field. That is extraordinary.  Milano may be one of the top 5 linebackers in football right now.  He is a sure tackler, can cover RBs and TEs and sack the QB.  With him the Bills are tough against the run but without him teams can run all over us.  He was voted a 1st team All-Pro this season along with former Dawg Roquan Smith (who is the best college LB I have even seen) and Fred Warner.  He is an extraordinary player.  

As to Poyer - here were his stats in 2021 (https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/lists/nfls-best-safeties-jordan-poyer-tyrann-matthieu-minkah-fitzpatrick-justin-simmons/)  

McCourty ranked 2nd at a passer rating of 31.8 and Marcus Williams was 3rd at 54.2.  By any measure that's extraordinary.  Injuries have cost him this season, but that doesn't change the fact that he is an amazing safety and maybe the best safety in the NFL when fully healthy.

Holy losing context Batman! I said the Bills had 2 extraordinary players this year.

So even if we agree that your additional 5 were also extraordinary, we’re down from 5 players to 1 because 4 of them get the qualifier “when healthy” which they weren’t this year?

Never mind that you seem to have fallen into the same sports hyperbolic thinking that says “generational” players come along every year or two when, by definition, they come along once or twice every generation.

Is Matt Milano a likely first-ballot hall-of-famer? In order to be considered extraordinary, I’d think he would have to be.

Among the best linebackers in the league this year? Sure. That would make him excellent, would it not? As in better than the good and very good players, and way better than the solid or merely average?

16 hours ago, dudacek said:

They only have 2 extraordinary talents on the roster,

You didn’t say this year and you didn’t say playing at an extraordinary level this year.  Truthfully Josh hasn’t been extraordinary this year either.  The two best players on the Bills this season are Diggs and Milano.  Josh has been fantastic at times and awful at others.  

I do think the Milano and Poyer are building a HofF resumes and that White maybe as well.  Miller is already a shoe in. Maybe I’m confused by your definition of extraordinary.  To me a player at the top of his game who is voted as one of the 3 best in his position, like Milano, is extraordinary.  Your two extraordinary talents, Allen and Diggs were not so honored.  Diggs was 2nd team and Josh nothing. 

I’m the one who pointed out up thread everything this team has endured to get to this point, but to say this team lacks special talent on defense is wrong imho.  What is correct is that this team succeeded despite the injuries to those stalwarts. 

21 hours ago, dudacek said:

When your oc doesn't run play action even though he has a very suspect o line for one. 

Taking timeouts with 1 second left on the play clock... when you're the defense. 

13 seconds. That was 100% lost due to coaching. 

• Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Totally agree. I checked this thread during halftime-ish, and I saw the two most recent posts were “in serious trouble. I don't see them winning this game,” and “this is why I tell people I don’t get excited about the Bills because they are the only team I know that always find new and creative ways to blow games. It’s been that way since the early 80’s!”

And I thought, I don’t think the Fins have 100 yards of total offense yet. We will be fine.

I am not calling either poster out because I see this nervous & emotional energy a lot. I think it’s 50 years of losing and losing in the incredible ways Buffalo has. Combine that with the hot take energy of sports talk (and being first/loudest with said opinion), and this is what we get. 

Buffalo lost a game to Miami earlier this year after doubling their yards. Buffalo all year has bought into their own hype and they consistently lose focus in games. Thankfully it's a talented roster but the room for errors is more gone. Cincinnati isn't Miami. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, dudacek said:

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

You didn’t say this year and you didn’t say playing at an extraordinary level this year.  Truthfully Josh hasn’t been extraordinary this year either.  The two best players on the Bills this season are Diggs and Milano.  Josh has been fantastic at times and awful at others.  

I do think the Milano and Poyer are building a HofF resumes and that White maybe as well.  Miller is already a shoe in. Maybe I’m confused by your definition of extraordinary.  To me a player at the top of his game who is voted as one of the 3 best in his position, like Milano, is extraordinary.  Your two extraordinary talents, Allen and Diggs were not so honored.  Diggs was 2nd team and Josh nothing. 

I’m the one who pointed out up thread everything this team has endured to get to this point, but to say this team lacks special talent on defense is wrong imho.  What is correct is that this team succeeded despite the injuries to those stalwarts. 

I thought my post was very clearly in the context of this season.

Dudacek I appreciate your cold and clinical analysis of Buffalo fan behavior. Unless you've been around for decades of these two franchises, it would be head-scratching. Weird things just happen in Buffalo sports and almost never for the good. Hell ask any Bona fan about Bob Lanier getting hurt with that team poised to win a natl champ.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Dudacek I appreciate your cold and clinical analysis of Buffalo fan behavior. Unless you've been around for decades of these two franchises, it would be head-scratching. Weird things just happen in Buffalo sports and almost never for the good. Hell ask any Bona fan about Bob Lanier getting hurt with that team poised to win a natl champ.

I have been a Sabres fan since the mid-70s and a Bills fan since the early '80s.

I have been surrounded by Vancouver Canuck fans for most of my life. The Buffalo experience is not as unique as many living it think it is.

Edited by dudacek
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 1/17/2023 at 11:39 PM, Gatorman0519 said:

Interesting of the 8 teams remaining, McDermott is the only defensive coach left. 

Would that be the same defensive coach with one of the league’s most explosive offenses the last three seasons? 

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I still haven't forgiven Chris Ford!