Buffalo Bills 2022-23

spndnchz

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Thems fightin words

I don't think we have to worry.  

I am terrible sad about the car accident which took the lives of Devin Willock and Courtney LeCroy.  Just Awful.  Highest of highs and the lowest of lows.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/georgia-lineman-devin-willock-football-staffer-die-in-car-crash-hours-after-championship-celebration/

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Weave said:

I walked away from the Bills Vikings game because I was getting so worked up that I thought it was way too unhealthy.  I could still feel the stress when I went to bed that evening.  I haven’t watched a full game since.  I get the 1st half in, and check Twitter frequently during the 2nd half.  I don’t need a heart attack.  

This is how I am.  When I start feeling the anxiety really escalating I just shut it off or walk out of the room when that's not an option.  It really isn't worth it. 

1 minute ago, Buffalonill said:

How do you keep Daboll if McDermott is your coach? Or maybe im missing something 

My point was it seems clearly we are a lesser off without him. We need to find an offensive identity other than “throw deep” and get an actual run game. If we don’t advance this year, a serious look into our organizational philosophy should be considered before we waste JA17 career because it’s not going to be any easier in the future. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Gatorman0519 said:

My point was it seems clearly we are a lesser off without him. We need to find an offensive identity other than “throw deep” and get an actual run game. If we don’t advance this year, a serious look into our organizational philosophy should be considered before we waste JA17 career because it’s not going to be any easier in the future. 

We are not as good right now with Dorsey as the OC.  Daboll was one of the best offensive minds in football, but it's impossible to keep someone like that.  They want to move up the food chain and he is doing a great job in NY.  Not a surprise.  

Dorsey is a 1st year OC and there has been some hiccups.  However Beane's first job this off-season is to fix of the O Line.  The Bills and Josh will be better if we can take pressure off Josh to do everything.  They also need to upgrade of WRs.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

We are not as good right now with Dorsey as the OC.  Daboll was one of the best offensive minds in football, but it's impossible to keep someone like that.  They want to move up the food chain and he is doing a great job in NY.  Not a surprise.  

Dorsey is a 1st year OC and there has been some hiccups.  However Beane's first job this off-season is to fix of the O Line.  The Bills and Josh will be better if we can take pressure off Josh to do everything.  They also need to upgrade of WRs.  

Agreed. I’d like to see a dominant #2 WR like Cincy has to compliment Diggs.  Unquestionably we need to upgrade the OLine. 

2 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Agreed. I’d like to see a dominant #2 WR like Cincy has to compliment Diggs.  Unquestionably we need to upgrade the OLine. 

The inconsistent OLine has lead to an inconsistent offense.  Morse, Dawkins, Brown and Bates are under contract for next year as is developmental LT Tommy Doyle.  Safford is listed on the 2023 Roster with only a $2 mill signing bonus but no salary.  I'm going to assume that is just a dead cap hit unless he is extended.

It looks like Boettger, Van Roten, Bobby Hart and Quessenberry are FAs after this season.  The Bills are also in a cap bind for next season now that Josh's full cap hit hits the books.  Josh costs 39 mill next year.  The Bills are already at the cap with 231 Mill in contracts for only 39 players.  Beane has some significant work ahead of him this winter.  I don't see how Beane keeps guys like Vickers, Gilliam, McKenzie, even Hines after this season.  Those 4 have cap hits of 10.25 mill, but only a dead cap of 900k if released.  

Bills draft needs - OL, safety, WR

I hope Dawgs like B Jones (OL), Chris Smith (S) and Darnell Washington (TE) are on high on Buffalo’s list.  Washington may not seem like a need, but he is a unicorn player who can block like a OT, pull like a guard, catch the ball well and has excellent speed for a player his size.  He’d make the running game so much better, give Josh a huge end zone target and a miss match check down target for long conversions.  Considering our lack of cap space, adding a multidimensional player like Washington makes a great deal of sense.  

ESPN currently lists Jones at 20, Washington at 52 and Smith at 107.  I doubt Washington and Smith last that long.  The Bills approx draft slots are 30, 60, 90.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

On 1/16/2023 at 8:33 AM, LGR4GM said:

Buffalo coaching staff needs to take a good long hard look at themselves.

Boy do they ever.

On 1/16/2023 at 8:56 AM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Especially Ken Dorsey.

Frazier needs to study Baltimore’s D scheme to figure out how to stop Cin.

Not sure if it's been mentioned upthread - apologies if so, we attend the games and so there's no message boarding (but some water boarding?) for me - but a fellow STH near me remarked: Daboll wasn't necessarily more creative or a better play schemer than Dorsey, but a skill he had that Dorsey seems to lack is being to able to check Allen's worst instincts, worst tendencies. Allen's borderline out of control right now. He needs an OC with a stronger hand and a cooler head.

On 1/16/2023 at 9:26 AM, GASabresIUFAN said:

As you know I’m not a Frazier fan, but he has dialed up more blitzes of late with some success.  

What's sorta bumming me out ahead of the divisional round game is that the Bills look every bit like the team that needed Von Miller in order to get over the hump. That front 4 just does not do enough on a consistent basis to get home and make a difference. I heard Booger McFarland on a podcast remark that, in order to be a true contender, a team needs a game wrecker on D. This D does not have one.

21 hours ago, matter2003 said:

It was interesting on many of those plays there was no checkdown option...it was the old Daboll move of allowing Allen's legs to be the checkdown...there were some gaping holes up the middle and Allen attempted to take off several times but the Fins did an exceptional job of making him think he had a lane to run through and then closing it down as soon as he started to run...barely got tackled a few times where it would have been 20+ yard runs if he got through as there was nobody in the middle of the field.

Allen said in his post game remarks that they were spying him pretty effectively.

18 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I felt this game like no other in the past two decades. It surprised me. I had to work and could only see a few minutes or even seconds at a time. I was overwrought (and likely professionally derelict) as the game seemed to slip away. Now, I have no business feeling this way as I long ago left the Bills behind. But as several of you have hinted, what we're feeling isn't really about THESE Bills. Not hard to analyze, I suppose.

Good stuff.

GO BILLS!

• Agree 1

Honestly the Bills this year are a marvel.  They are 14-3 despite losing Daboll, the return of gunslinger Josh with the turnovers to show for it, losing All-Pro White for much of the season, losing All-pro Hyde for the season, losing All-pro Poyer for games and him playing hurt, losing All-Pro Von Miller for the 2nd half of the season, the terrible weather forcing a "home" game in Det, an inconsistent and oft injured Oline, inconsistent WR play, Dawson Knox in a funk (and reasonably so) for half the season, and of course the Damar Hamlin situation.  Oh yeah, those 3 losses are by a collective 8 points.  I don't remember a season this chaotic. 

I don't know of any team in the NFL that has overcome so much and remained a top tier team.  The team still has to win 2 more games just to reach the Super Bowl, but I'm not betting against them.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Let's not forget that Dorsey is a rookie.  I'm not saying I love him, but it's too early to hate him, too.

More than fair.

And I mean - the team's offence finished 4th overall, if memory serves. That's pretty frickin' good!

Still. I worry that he's holding the team back by not having the right sort of control over Allen. 

Relatedly, I wonder whether Dorsey as a former QB is more susceptible to being infatuated with, devoted to Allen's incredible physical skills than Daboll was.

One more thought: The Bills need another good WR. DavisMcKenzieShakirBeasleyBrown ain't cutting it as a WR2. I hold out hope that Shakir can become a good secondary/tertiary option.

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

More than fair.

And I mean - the team's offence finished 4th overall, if memory serves. That's pretty frickin' good!

Still. I worry that he's holding the team back by not having the right sort of control over Allen. 

Relatedly, I wonder whether Dorsey as a former QB is more susceptible to being infatuated with, devoted to Allen's incredible physical skills than Daboll was.

One more thought: The Bills need another good WR. DavisMcKenzieShakirBeasleyBrown ain't cutting it as a WR2. I hold out hope that Shakir can become a good secondary/tertiary option.

Offense was 2nd overall in yards which is how the NFL measures it. They were also 2nd in scoring for good measure tho.

• Thanks (+1) 1