Buffalo Bills 2022-23

spndnchz

11 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I'm not sold on either. 

But is he a great coach? 

I can't say that he is a great coach because you need to have sustained success over a long period of time to earn that moniker. What I can comfortably say is that he is a very good coach who is very tuned into his players. His most impressive feat was taking over a team and then quickly shuffling out the players he felt that didn't fit his profile of player he wanted and keeping a core to build around. His mini-rebuild was done in a relatively short time span. I thought he and Beane were masterful in assembling a roster in short order that could compete with anyone. 

And without question their greatest and most impactful decision was identifying the qb to build around, and then maneuvering in the draft to acquire him. That decision will have positive reverberations for more than a decade.  

13 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Apparently KA doesn’t absorb much from those conversations.  Beane never sits on his hands.  Need D line, sign Miller, Lawson and Phillips; need a RB, he goes and gets Hines; need a LB, claim Klein, need a safety bring back Marlowe.  KA, on the other hand, 3 D injured do nothing.

Hockey is not the same as football with respect to player movement and one's ability to bring in players each year. The difference between the Bills and the Sabres at this current stage is that the Bills already have a stable roster and core to add to. In contrast to the Sabres who are at an earlier stage where the roster is still being rebuilt and developed. 

There is a time and place to bring in players. The emphasis right now is to provide playing time and work with the youngsters. While immersed in this process of player development the organization is bringing in support players such as Lyubuskin and Comrie. I also liked the Yost pickup. He's certainly not a primary player, but he is a good support player who fills a needed role of playing a hard and tough style of game. 

Make no mistake what I'm saying here. I agreed with you that a couple of more players could have been added in the offseason to provide more depth. It didn't happen to the extent I would have liked. However, in general I agree with the direction of the team and organization that this front office has established. 

18 hours ago, Thorny said:

Man I remember watching games in 06-07 and being like, “They only won by 2 and Briere only notched 1 point? Ok, I guess.”

You are correct that the mindset completely changes, for better or worse. A lot of it is intuitive, as a fan you can kind of just feel if things are moving along the right way: in 05-06 by the second half it felt like the wins, tantamount to being the best/one of best in league, were flowing naturally. 

After the winning streak in 06-07, it just often felt like they had to grind out the wins more than you’d want to be seeing from a team with Cup expectations. And, interestingly in this case, imo it bore out: we weren’t as good that year I don’t think, record be damned. Playoff performance would seem to bear that out. 

The Islander series was the final handwriting on the wall. Something was off.

5 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

The Islander series was the final handwriting on the wall. Something was off.

All the juice just seemed to require a more significant degree of squeezing. 

Beating the Rangers 4 games to 2, we were a couple seconds from being down 2-3 in that series headed on the road. 

1 minute ago, That Aud Smell said:

DE’s dropping like flies and they sign a WR to the P Squad.

Is there an injury at WR that I missed?

Also occurs to me: Probably not a DE out there worth signing.

Kumerow, Crowder, & Stephenson on IR.  Hodgins signed by Jints.  Who knows if the ankle is still bothering Davis.  Thought they only have 4 healthy WRs including the rookie.  A little extra depth doesn't hurt.

Wonder if that move means they don't expect to land OBJ?  Also, wonder if Beasley would come out of retirement?

• Thanks (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Kumerow, Crowder, & Stephenson on IR.  Hodgins signed by Jints.  Who knows if the ankle is still bothering Davis.  Thought they only have 4 healthy WRs including the rookie.  A little extra depth doesn't hurt.

Wonder if that move means they don't expect to land OBJ?  Also, wonder if Beasley would come out of retirement?

Man … I’d take Beasley back in a heartbeat *if* he could do ~85% of what he used to do. I just don’t think he can do it anymore.

Zay Jones and Cinci do the Bills a solid today.  Doug “balls” Peterson goes for 2 to win the game for the Jags against Baltimore.  And the Bengals beat Tennessee to place the Bills ahead of both for home field and a first round bye. Just take care of your conference games against the East.  
GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

NATHAN PETERMAN ALERT.  He is starting for the Chicago Bears.  The Jets' secondary must be salivating.

That was one of the reports coming out prior to the game when the Bears' qb got hurt in warmups. As it turned out Mike White was able to play and have a good game with 3 TD passes. Their spoiled brat qb, Zak Wilson, didn't suit up for this game.  

2 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

Zay Jones and Cinci do the Bills a solid today.  Doug “balls” Peterson goes for 2 to win the game for the Jags against Baltimore.  And the Bengals beat Tennessee to place the Bills ahead of both for home field and a first round bye. Just take care of your conference games against the East. 

Only the 1 seed gets a first round bye these days. We need the Chiefs to lose 1 more game than we do, which is a tough ask since they have a pretty easy remaining schedule and Mahomes is playing like an MVP.

• Thanks (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, JujuFish said:

Only the 1 seed gets a first round bye these days. We need the Chiefs to lose 1 more game than we do, which is a tough ask since they have a pretty easy remaining schedule and Mahomes is playing like an MVP.

True.  But did anybody see them having their mid-season funk last year or losing to the Colts this year?

Bills need to win out, which is going to be tough given all the injuries, but it is possible.  Hard to see anybody w/ less than 3 losses this year, so Bill need to keep doing what they can.  And if KC does win out, well the Bills beat them once down there.  It's not an impossible ask to do it again.

On 11/26/2022 at 5:40 PM, Taro T said:

Just to clarify the info on Marquez Stevenson, the Bills designated him to return from injured reserve on 11/16 and he’s been practicing since. They have a 21 day window from that date to either activate him or he will have to go back to IR for the rest of the season. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

Just to clarify the info on Marquez Stevenson, the Bills designated him to return from injured reserve on 11/16 and he’s been practicing since. They have a 21 day window from that date to either activate him or he will have to go back to IR for the rest of the season. 

Thanks for that.  Missed that he'd been moved to the evaluation window.  Knew Boettger was back practicing; missed Marquez' update.

Thought he could get redesignated to a 4 week IR (if they have any of them left) not necessarily season ending but he couldn't practice while back on the IR.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Thanks for that.  Missed that he'd been moved to the evaluation window.  Knew Boettger was back practicing; missed Marquez' update.

Thought he could get redesignated to a 4 week IR (if they have any of them left) not necessarily season ending but he couldn't practice while back on the IR.

You could very well be correct on him be re-designated to a four week IR, I just assumed it was season ending.