Buffalo Bills 2022-23

spndnchz

49 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I don’t get the concern with Green Bay’s running numbers. On or around that GB drive where they made it 27-17 (might have been the one where they got stopped on 4th and 1), my son turned to me (we attended) and said “they’re basically running the clock out on themselves.” 

The corners - especially Taron - need to be stout tacklers in this scheme. @Doohickiemakes a valid point. There was a colour commentators for an away game (Rams? Collinsworth?) who made an ominous observation about how the opponent was running at Taron’s side. And it seemed to be an issue. Until it wasn’t.

Had Allen taken better care of the ball last night, the game wouldn’t have been as close as it seemed.

You have to pick your poison in this league. The Bills make a defensible choice in term of which poison they pick. 

Yup.  A team w/ Aaron Rodgers at the helm made a conscious decision to play to not be embarrassed rather than playing to win.  Had Allen not selfdestructed on 2 drives (saw somebody else speculate maybe he was looking to avoid shots w/ a huge lead which cost him focus, don't know that was it, but it's plausible) the team playing not to be embarrassed still would've lost 37-17.

At no point did it seem GB was in the game.  Even only down by 10.

• Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Yup.  A team w/ Aaron Rodgers at the helm made a conscious decision to play to not be embarrassed rather than playing to win.  Had Allen not selfdestructed on 2 drives (saw somebody else speculate maybe he was looking to avoid shots w/ a huge lead which cost him focus, don't know that was it, but it's plausible) the team playing not to be embarrassed still would've lost 37-17.

At no point did it seem GB was in the game.  Even only down by 10.

Allen took a really big hit in the 1st half trying to get as much yardage as he could.  I wonder if he was feeling some effects from that.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Taro T said:

(saw somebody else speculate maybe he was looking to avoid shots w/ a huge lead which cost him focus, don't know that was it, but it's plausible)

It's a plausible theory. The point Weave raises below is also fair. There's also the possibility that Green Bay made adjustments at half time. Because, at the half and especially after the Bills surgically got a bonus 3 points right before the half (preceded by a throwaway that almost turned into a TD to Davis), I figured the Bills were gonna hang 40 on them.

7 minutes ago, Weave said:

Allen took a really big hit in the 1st half trying to get as much yardage as he could.  I wonder if he was feeling some effects from that.

The one where he went out at the 1? That was scary.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Weave said:

Actually a couple.  The hit at the 1 and then the hit at the right sideline later where the lineman slowed Josh down & 2 others tackled him.

I found it a bold strategy to target one of Green Bay's only 2 real defensive strengths (Kenny Clark, Jaire Alexander) twice on the first drive. Alexander had 2 PBUs and the Bills punted. Once the Bills started passing away from Alexander the results were visible: TD, TD, TD, FG, half. Then, they did just fine except for the Alexander INT and the personal foul (Davis on Alexander) that resulted in a punt. Really, if they'd just stayed away from Alexander it's closer to my expected game of 45-16.

But hey, the Packers didn't abandon the running game for once, and it was successful! (Typically, they'll abandon the run when trailing by 7 in the first half.) Of course... they played without urgency down 3 scores, so... errrrm. I guess that's why the defense wasn't honoring the run. Huh.

Now that this game is over, I can return to cheering for the Bills to win the Super Bowl. It's your 1996: go get it.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

To the Smell-let's comment, I was pretty shocked at the GB coach's defeatist attitude before the second half. Then his team did in effect look like it wasn't even trying all that hard to come back in the game. Pretty remarkable. I can't imagine a league that prides itself on parity was too happy to see such a thing in its marquee game of the week.

I listed to LaFleur’s comments at half and I don’t think it was defeatist as much as realist. He was talking about how they need to fight for every inch on every play to keep their dignity so they don’t get blown out - I think he thought, and I think he was right, that their best chance *was* with running the ball. Their only chance was that, and Buffalo imploding, which didn’t really happen. 

I think if they drop back and pass with Rodgers ala of old, Buffalo tees off on him in half two and it gets ugly 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I listed to LaFleur’s comments at half and I don’t think it was defeatist as much as realist. He was talking about how they need to fight for every inch on every play to keep their dignity so they don’t get blown out - I think he thought, and I think he was right, that their best chance *was* with running the ball. Their only chance was that, and Buffalo imploding, which didn’t really happen. 

I think if they drop back and pass with Rodgers ala of old, Buffalo tees off on him in half two and it gets ugly 

I love the stuff from the announcers during that first drive where the Packers got their TD in the first half.  All that talk about trying to eat up the clock so you can keep the opposing offense off the field as much as possible.  That's a bold strategy when you're down 14.

6 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’m not a fan of Leslie Frazier. I don’t understand why he refuses to bring in a 3rd linebacker against running teams.  GB had 200 yards rushing.  That’s unacceptable.  Had we been playing a real team that might have cost us the win.  

I understand his scheme and against passing first teams it works great, but against running teams he needs to adjust and doesn’t.

BecAuse they knew they’d win the game if GB just ran it on every play.   
if it was a close game, I’d see your point.  Up 17 midway through the 3rd quarter , let them run and chew up the clock 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’m not a fan of Leslie Frazier. I don’t understand why he refuses to bring in a 3rd linebacker against running teams.  GB had 200 yards rushing.  That’s unacceptable.  Had we been playing a real team that might have cost us the win.  

I understand his scheme and against passing first teams it works great, but against running teams he needs to adjust and doesn’t.

Not a fan of the defense that allows the fewest points in the league by a wide margin, a defense decimated by injuries including their all pro CB and Safety? Really??

Allowing Green Bay to run the clock out on themselves down 17 in the second half is absolutely acceptable, I don’t care if they finished with 300 yards rushing. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

10 hours ago, Hank said:

Not a fan of the defense that allows the fewest points in the league by a wide margin, a defense decimated by injuries including their all pro CB and Safety? Really??

Allowing Green Bay to run the clock out on themselves down 17 in the second half is absolutely acceptable, I don’t care if they finished with 300 yards rushing. 

It’s one thing to say it like this, but that doesn’t absolve the front line getting bullied. First time I’ve ever seen that with Philips out there 

3 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

It’s one thing to say it like this, but that doesn’t absolve the front line getting bullied. First time I’ve ever seen that with Philips out there 

This take ignores what schemes the Bills were using and what techniques the front 4 were using once the ball was snapped. The Bills wanted the Packers to run the ball. I'm sure there are some things they want to clean up, but I don't think it's fair to say that the Bills D-line got bullied. I certainly don't think that Aaron Jones thinks that.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

With the Poyer situation looming, safety would be an area to address.

Other than that, o-line for sure.

A vet safety and vet IOL would definitely help.  Not saying break the bank in terms of giving up picks and obviously can't take one a huge cap hit coming back, but it doesn't take much to derail a path to a SB championship....if they stand pat.