Buffalo Bills 2022-23

spndnchz

The NFL should vacate the Fish’s win over the Bills for violating the concussion protocols.  Only way to make sure they are properly adhered to and it wouldn’t hurt the Bills either.

Also I think the NFL, the Bills and the Fish failed to adequately protect the Bills from the heat.  It seems to me that they needed to have a shade over the entire benches for both teams.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, LTS said:

So the prevailing assumption is that now, in 5 days, two doctors in Miami, and a medical staff in Cincinnati have both basically covered up a concussion or multiple concussions?

There's a lot of presumption here. I don't see what benefit the medical staff at a hospital have in covering anything up. Their reputation is on the line and they know this. They are not in Miami, they are in the opposing city.

I get the emotion of what we've seen. But there has to be a point where the conspiracy theory falls apart right? I could understand the theories behind the Bills game. I think that's a process that's prone to being sidestepped. However to insinuate that a hospital would take that kind of risk on something so public is a stretch.

I want to underscore, passing the concussion test doesn't mean there isn't something else going on. I have not followed up on any released medical statements (although they are private, so we might not know).  However, I don't see the hospital staff releasing him unless they found nothing of concern on the tests they performed.

That said, I think Tagovailoa should be getting some additional tests done. Clearly something is going on with both hits in the past 5 days. The physical response to both indicates that clearly.

Tua is an adult.  Is the hospital able to keep him locked inside their facility against his will when he has a medical staff traveling with him?  Serious question.  Doubt the answer is 'yes' but honestly don't know.

The hospital is required to follow HIIPA regulations.  THEY aren't releasing ANY information about his health to anyone but Tua and his proxies (the exception being they might have to release  info to law enforcement or a court should either become involved).

So, really fail to see how the Cincy hospital is covering anything up regardless of his current health situation.

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

In his short and so far stellar career as an NFL HC, Mike McDaniel seemed to be blazing a brand new trail -- he's quirky, weirdly funny, candid in a rare and peculiar way, intensely brilliant, a vanguard of analytics.

And then, with his role in this Tua concussion debacle, he reveals himself to be of a piece with the oldest of old school dinosaurs - ready and willing to treat his players like livestock.

What? He barely beat a terrible patriots team, got outplayed laughably by Buffalo who lost because they beat themselves, and had a miracle 4th qrt comeback. I guess that's stellar cuz he won 3 of 4 but the Dolphins are playing with fire, what they are doing is not sustainable and last night started to show that. 

44 minutes ago, LTS said:

That said, I think Tagovailoa should be getting some additional tests done. Clearly something is going on with both hits in the past 5 days. The physical response to both indicates that clearly.

I’m willing to accept that these may have not been concussion. You nailed it right there though, there’s clearly something neurological in play at this point. Hopefully the next barrage of tests will pick that up. 

The stories so far say that there was no structural damage. Those reports are completely useless, what people suspect here is not structural. It would be like if the HVAC guy who came to my house last week  told me that my fridge motor is working just fine. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, LTS said:

So the prevailing assumption is that now, in 5 days, two doctors in Miami, and a medical staff in Cincinnati have both basically covered up a concussion or multiple concussions?

There's a lot of presumption here. I don't see what benefit the medical staff at a hospital have in covering anything up. Their reputation is on the line and they know this. They are not in Miami, they are in the opposing city.

I get the emotion of what we've seen. But there has to be a point where the conspiracy theory falls apart right? I could understand the theories behind the Bills game. I think that's a process that's prone to being sidestepped. However to insinuate that a hospital would take that kind of risk on something so public is a stretch.

I want to underscore, passing the concussion test doesn't mean there isn't something else going on. I have not followed up on any released medical statements (although they are private, so we might not know).  However, I don't see the hospital staff releasing him unless they found nothing of concern on the tests they performed.

Absolutely.

Everyone is convinced the “hit” in Miami was a concussion, but couldn’t his response to that also be attributed to heat stroke and dehydration?

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

What? He barely beat a terrible patriots team, got outplayed laughably by Buffalo who lost because they beat themselves, and had a miracle 4th qrt comeback. I guess that's stellar cuz he won 3 of 4 but the Dolphins are playing with fire, what they are doing is not sustainable and last night started to show that. 

Stellar was probably too strong.

OTOH: Eh.

I believe the team is trying to get out in front of this story and all reports coming out, the fact that the hospital released Tua so quickly and the continued mishmash coming out of the coaches mouth have convinced me of that. 

It's bad for the team and it's terrible for the NFL

A lot of speculation on this whole concussion deal. I often deal with concussions as part of my work and its a very very subtle treatment protocol and no two people or two situations are the same.The rule of thumb is to be on the cautious side. Miami obviously wasnt cautious. 

Most of us who have been around a while have seen the pattern of a guy getting concussed...then returning too soon.And then getting re-concussed after any type of(even fairly soft) contact to the head directly or from a whiplash scenario from the neck.   A very sad situation and likely preventable if full healing is allowed..In other words if he is automatically grounded from play for a considerable amt of time.

Trent Edwards was a mediocre- avg type QB with a soft arm before the concussion. YES he had one good game after returning but his concussion had not fully healed .Often we see post concussion people who become asymptomatic go out and engage in rigorous activities shortly after...The problem is that the dura around the brain is newly healed but is not yet strong enough to do its job. Many small hits or the constant pounding of jogging or other physical activity can re-damage that protective layer and you are back where you started even after some delay. You could have a nice jog where you felt good.Or you could play a football game where you didnt take any brutal hits. -But damage was still done .And the next activity may  bring back moderate to severe symptoms.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

Absolutely.

Everyone is convinced the “hit” in Miami was a concussion, but couldn’t his response to that also be attributed to heat stroke and dehydration?

Yes his response could have been due to heat stroke and dehydration. But even if they thought that they should have taken the 'overly' cautious route.

And the fact that he went down so hard just 5 days later makes it unlikely that the heat stroke and dehydration were the only factors.

On 9/25/2022 at 2:07 PM, sabresparaavida said:

So a team down 5 defensive starters going into the game, as well as the 3 DT, losing the #3 Outside CB, as well as not having/losing 3/5ths of a starting line, and having the top 3 receivers, and #1 TE limited due to cramps/injuries/hear and sticking tight to/dominating the play against a purported top 5-10 team is now one of “7-8 teams?” There are not 7-8 teams that could have performed that well in that state.

The Bills are the most talented team in the league. I agree with all that you wrote...But you left out the Bills W and L in close games and their record in the playoffs. Coaching/time mgmt become awful big when its playoff time.

2 hours ago, LTS said:

Can’t speak for the Miami staff, but the Cincy hospital diagnosed and treated him for a concussion, which McDaniels confirmed in his post game his post game presser last night. As a result of that diagnosis, Tua is officially in the league’s concussion protocol. 

• Thanks (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

This coach is a idiot 

“IF” oh my god

So on the Dolphins plate right now:

1) Being investigated for trying to pay their coach $100,000 to intentionally lose games

2) Being investigated for tampering for trying to illegally negotiate with Tom Brady

3) Being investigates for potentially lying about their QB having a concussion, letting him come back to play and getting a second massive concussion days later.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

“IF” oh my god

So on the Dolphins plate right now:

1) Being investigated for trying to pay their coach $100,000 to intentionally lose games

2) Being investigated for tampering for trying to illegally negotiate with Tom Brady

3) Being investigates for potentially lying about their QB having a concussion, letting him come back to play and getting a second massive concussion days later.

It's the NFL are you surprised?

8 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Best part when he said hes happy its just a  Concussion and nothing serious .. 

He has pretty much lost the locker room right ? 

That’s not what he said

"All of his teammates, myself, we're all very concerned. The best news we can give is that everything is checked out that he didn't have anything more serious than a concussion.” 

transcript: https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/lists/mike-mcdaniel-tua-tagovailoa-concussion/

2 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

That’s not what he said

"All of his teammates, myself, we're all very concerned. The best news we can give is that everything is checked out that he didn't have anything more serious than a concussion.” 

transcript: https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/lists/mike-mcdaniel-tua-tagovailoa-concussion/

Reads the same to me.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Ok but the context is the player was taken out immobilized on a stretcher. It could have been much worse. 
I don’t read him (or heard him) being trivial at all.  

Whatever. Either way, squish the fish.  

Because of the actions (or more accurately, the inactions) of their medical, training, coaching staffs, & him.

F his BS about never ever putting a guy in that situation.  We just watched him put him in that situation 2 times in 4 days.

Tua is just lucky Frazier only went to the prevent D for a few plays on 1 drive in the 2nd half.  Had he been out there more than a handful of plays, he could've taken a real shot.  And 1 real hit that would've bounced his head off the lawn again could've been catastrophic.