Buffalo Bills 2022-23

spndnchz

5 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

A tough loss against a good team in less than ideal conditions.

The Bills could have easily won this one.  No team will win them all.  I think that a few questionable coaching calls cost them the game more than anything else.  That said, it seemed the the heat was a factor in the offense execution as the game went on.  At this time of year in south Florida I think this should have been a night game.

The Bills are and will continue to be fine.

Not to mention that the Dolphins will be found in the frozen food aisle at Wegmans in December this season. 😁

• Haha (+1) 3

10 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Leslie Frazier plays not to lose. He never plays to win. 

Nope but the Bills don't have the killer instincts to destroy teams in close games. They choke again and again and again. They've lost something like 8 one score games in a row. 

They were 6-1 in one score games in 2020 with pretty much the same cast of characters as 2021/2022. 

• Thanks (+1) 2

19 hours ago, LTS said:

I picked your comment, but it really applies to the whole debate.

The fundamental issue that I see is that the playing conditions are NOT equal for the teams in Miami. The broadcast crew immediately alluded to the renovations on Hard Rock stadium that put the Dolphins in the shade for the whole game and the Bills in the sun.  Playing in the heat it a thing, but it should at least be an equal thing.

With snow and cold, both teams play in it. Imagine if the visiting team did not get a heated bench, heaters, etc.  That would be almost the equivalent.

Overall, you deal with the weather, but I do think there's some level of shenanigans with the roof at Hard Rock.

I almost wonder if it starts to push into OSHA territory.  Even short of that, you'd have to think the league and the PA are keeping an eye on it.  Home field advantage is all about being more aware of where you are playing and being able to build your team towards that setting.  It isn't about creating different conditions for the other team.  A lot of times that's going to happen randomly, but this one is as intentional as it gets.

I do think that the league and PA will eventually try to push for some modifications down there.  They have to realize the risks involved.  The last thing they need is another death on their hands.  Whether it's only scheduling later games at this time of the year or allowing for the possibility to flex the game to night time in the case of extreme weather, they should be looking into something.  Hell, it makes for better TV too, rather than having to sit through another TV timeout every 4th play because another lineman just stroked out.

On 9/26/2022 at 12:01 PM, Taro T said:

Easy solution.  Don't read Bills forums for 24 hours after a loss.

It's not like they've been Meccas of objectivity after losses in prior years.  

And complaining that forcing 300 lb men to stay in the sun for 3 over hours with only a 15 minute break when it's almost 90 with 70%+ humidity, no air movement, and no shade shortly after noon is a tragedy waiting to happen isn't making excuses for the loss.  The league made changes to what's acceptable in training camp & practices after the Korey Stringer tragedy.  Are they going to wait for another tragedy before they make additional tweaks?  Something as simple as either pushing the game start back to 4PM or letting the players into the locker rooms after each Q could prevent the sunstrokes we saw.

As for the game, it was a perfect storm of injuries, weather, & execution and even with all that they were within 4 seconds of either half from winning.  Can't wait for the Ravens game.

I guess it makes sense to not read the forums for 24 hours after a loss....and I guess with this response I am going to complain myself.  And I understand that the reason message boards exist is for people to say what they want...give their opinions...weather I or anyone else agree with it.  I get that. Its just that some people seem to get so bent out of shape, i really don't understand the "They lost one game-the team is terrible-the coach should have been fired years ago-this team will never win again unless they do what I say-you better not challenge my opinion or I will respond to you with all the more hate and self righteousness than anyone has ever seen " type of attitude. I just don't get it.

7 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I guess it makes sense to not read the forums for 24 hours after a loss....and I guess with this response I am going to complain myself.  And I understand that the reason message boards exist is for people to say what they want...give their opinions...weather I or anyone else agree with it.  I get that. Its just that some people seem to get so bent out of shape, i really don't understand the "They lost one game-the team is terrible-the coach should have been fired years ago-this team will never win again unless they do what I say-you better not challenge my opinion or I will respond to you with all the more hate and self righteousness than anyone has ever seen " type of attitude. I just don't get it.

it is tradition. I recall the 90's Bills getting the same treatment.... win 3 in a row and it is super bowl here we come. Lose 1 game and they are exposed for the frauds they are.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

But the people here (excepting the usual suspects) aren't really doing that IMHO YMMV.  It's not a big deal & you're free to post whatever SDS and his moderating team are good with, just not sure of the reason for the point you're making here.  Like said earlier, it's no biggie, and if the venting works for you, cool.  (That's what most everybody else is doing.)  🍺

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

But the people here (excepting the usual suspects) aren't really doing that IMHO YMMV.  It's not a big deal & you're free to post whatever SDS and his moderating team are good with, just not sure of the reason for the point you're making here.  Like said earlier, it's no biggie, and if the venting works for you, cool.  (That's what most everybody else is doing.)  🍺

I was making a point about message boards in general, which happens here on a rare occasion, but does happen a lot with the Bills forum.  Not all the time, but most of the time I go out of my way (especially on the Bills side of things) to not say anything offensive, to not 'go at' anyone or demean their point.  Yet often times, especially after a Bills loss, people are just full-speed-ahead with extreme comments that if you even slightly disagree with them you get attacked back.  Again, happens here on occasion, happens there a lot, and I was making a general point about it.

3 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I was making a point about message boards in general, which happens here on a rare occasion, but does happen a lot with the Bills forum.  Not all the time, but most of the time I go out of my way (especially on the Bills side of things) to not say anything offensive, to not 'go at' anyone or demean their point.  Yet often times, especially after a Bills loss, people are just full-speed-ahead with extreme comments that if you even slightly disagree with them you get attacked back.  Again, happens here on occasion, happens there a lot, and I was making a general point about it.

My guess is it's not the same people that make wide swings. The people that are optimistic are posting up a storm after the wins, and the ones that are just waiting for a reason to go with extreme negativity are just waiting for the final whistle to blast everything involved with the Bills. I don't know how you follow a team and just be 100% negative about it all the time.

Am I the only one who has no problem with what Miami did? Buffalo fans are the last people that should gripe about a weather related home field advantage.

In the end, this game will have zero relevance to how far they go into the playoffs. 

24 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Am I the only one who has no problem with what Miami did? Buffalo fans are the last people that should gripe about a weather related home field advantage.

In the end, this game will have zero relevance to how far they go into the playoffs. 

I just think its wrong that the refs let the bills quarterback get kicked in nuts  Repeatedly also get  punched and grabbed during a pile up

• Agree 2

On 9/26/2022 at 11:15 AM, LTS said:

I picked your comment, but it really applies to the whole debate.

The fundamental issue that I see is that the playing conditions are NOT equal for the teams in Miami. The broadcast crew immediately alluded to the renovations on Hard Rock stadium that put the Dolphins in the shade for the whole game and the Bills in the sun.  Playing in the heat it a thing, but it should at least be an equal thing.

With snow and cold, both teams play in it. Imagine if the visiting team did not get a heated bench, heaters, etc.  That would be almost the equivalent.

Overall, you deal with the weather, but I do think there's some level of shenanigans with the roof at Hard Rock.

Typically the games are moved/canceled/delayed when it's a risk to gathering the fans (massive storms, driving conditions, lightning, etc.)

There are shenanigans (and they'll call it gamesmanship) at all venues. Minnesota will leave the speakers on behind the visitors' bench which amplifies the crowd noise; it was always assumed for about 10 years in the 2010s that you'd lose the helmet audio connection when playing at Foxboro; and all the home teams leave the opponents in the sun and wear home whites. Heck, the Packers visiting locker room in Tampa this weekend suspiciously had no air conditioning.

The NFL could mandate evening games if they're worried about player safety, but it's also the responsibility of the visitors to be prepared. It's a billion dollar business and every team is rich beyond imagination. Rent the equipment you need, wear your special earplugs for noisy venues like Seattle, bring your heaters in the winter and the mist-fans in the summer, and carry parasols if the won't let you set up awnings.

9 hours ago, shrader said:

I almost wonder if it starts to push into OSHA territory. 

Negative.

OSHA doesn’t have a standard for heat and if anyone tried to argue that the General Duty Clause in both the 1910 and 1926 Standards would cover this it wouldn’t work.

The players are not employees. They contract independently so OSHA has no authority.

BTW, a heat standard is in development but since the administration was created by an act of congress, mountains need to be moved to create a new standard. The political will to do so is the unfortunate truth.

Occupational Heath and Safety has always been a partisan issue. Truly sad and sadly, true.

14 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Bengals will make easy work of the dolphins 

That’s what I’m thinking. Miami fans think that just by barely getting by the Bills that their team is automatically going to the Super Bowl. Every team still has 14 games to go.

13 hours ago, Ogre said:

Negative.

OSHA doesn’t have a standard for heat and if anyone tried to argue that the General Duty Clause in both the 1910 and 1926 Standards would cover this it wouldn’t work.

The players are not employees. They contract independently so OSHA has no authority.

BTW, a heat standard is in development but since the administration was created by an act of congress, mountains need to be moved to create a new standard. The political will to do so is the unfortunate truth.

Occupational Heath and Safety has always been a partisan issue. Truly sad and sadly, true.

Fair enough.  I do think the union should have a lot to say about it though.  They put their foot down when it came to training camp conditions, so they should think about it here too.  Later starts or flexing games to night time really shouldn't be that big of a deal.

15 hours ago, SwampD said:

No, your not, I concur.

The Bills did not execute, weather or no weather, both on the field as well as some coaching. I suspect corrections will be made and the season will continue on.

The injuries in the defensive backfield is concerning however.

12 hours ago, Eleven said:

I think the Bengals are an average football team that got lucky last year.  Miami takes that one.

Agree. Probably a little better than average but Miami's front, like seemingly every team the Bengals play, will give Burrow problems. He'll be a human punching bag by the time the Bills see him in December.

1 minute ago, JustOneParade said:

Given the state of the roster the Bills need to get to the bye week at 3-3 and come out the other side reasonably healthy. IMO, if they can do that they'll still be in a good place for the #1 seed in the AFC.

I would guess it will take 13 wins to secure the #1 seed.  If they do start 3-3, that would mean a 10-1 record to end the season.  Not an easy task, no matter who is on the schedule.  

• Like (+1) 1