Buffalo Bills 2022-23

spndnchz

31 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I am serious--and your post, before you edited it, said *excluding* humidity.  I wish I had not cropped it so closely.

Anyway, I know what a heat index is.  I've lived in the South.  It was 89 degrees and pretty humid.  It's not exactly unheard of for professional athletes to compete in such conditions.  Even amateur athletes do so on a regular basis.

Looks like every news outlet was fake news where they said it was over 100 

You do you.

38 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Looks like every news outlet was fake news where they said it was over 100 

You do you.

You edited your original post, the one to which I originally responded, to correct the error that you had explicitly excluded humidity.  The temperature at game time was 89 degrees.  I don't care what the heat index was; that is normal playing temperature with or without humidity.

I should have stuck to my usual policy regarding your posts and responses.  I'm sorry.  Take care.

Edited by Eleven

In beautiful Gatlinburg, TN. Watched the game with well over 200 Titans die hards at 3 Jimmy's.

While they weren't happy with what the Bills did to their team last Monday night, to a fan they all said the Bills got hosed in this Miami game. Specifically the officiating and the lack of shade on the Bills side of the field putting players health at actual physical high risk.

Take aways from this game.....

The Dolphins aren't a power house, but they can beat any team given the opportunity, definitely an AFC contender.

Leading with the helmet hit on Knox was one of a few calls suspect by the refs.

I counted 4 times throughout the game where Josh could have run for stick moving plays, but chose other options that were not as productive.

They need to stop going to the pass inside the 5, run the dam ball in.

This was a very winnable game, Miami didn't win it, multiple mis-steps, bad play calls and over all poor execution saw the Bills hand this game to Miami.

• Agree 1

There is going to be a ton of flame spraying over this loss. But it is just that. We were not beaten, we lost this game and the stats show that. Other then about a dozen bone headed plays and mistakes, we did well with the limited roster we have. Not worried about Miami, they will still lose this division unless we lose another dozen to injury. The Bills goal should be simple. Make the playoffs and be healthy when they do. I do not want to hear about the heat.... they all knew what it was going to be like. They are professional athletes. They should have prepared better for that! Unless we keep piling the injuries, this team will be ok. On a final note, that temper tantrum in the box was embarrassing! Love the passion,  but he has to know he is being watched and at least shut the damn camera off!!! They have a week until we play Baltimore. Get your ***** together and kill the crows!!!

2 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

This was a very winnable game, Miami didn't win it, multiple mis-steps, bad play calls and over all poor execution saw the Bills hand this game to Miami.

I would say the biggest issue was the right side of the O line was depleted and that's where Josh likes to roll.  TE Sweeney was playing O line at the end of the game.  It took the time Allen usually has to go through his progressions away.

I would also say that the Bills typically make several plays that that make you go wow.  Late in the game after Allen banged up the finger on his passing hand, he simply couldn't execute like that (look at the pass to McKenzie he turfed in the second-last drive).

Give credit to the Dolphins, they did what they had to do to win.

I saw a tweet that said this was the Dolphins' Super Bowl.  To the Bills it was just an off day.

I'm not worried unless the injuries don't go away.  Hyde is already out for the year.  Let's hope he's the only one.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

TE Sweeney was playing O line at the end of the game.

I believe that was reserve OT Tommy Doyle ...? He would have been out of position at OG.

But I can't be sure.

No team should be permitted to roster players whose names are Tommy Doyle and Tommy Sweeney. I am forever confusing them. Even as I type this, I'm not sure which is the TE and which is the OT.

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, That Aud Smell said:

I believe that was reserve OT Tommy Doyle ...? He would have been out of position at OG.

But I can't be sure.

No team should be permitted to roster players whose names are Tommy Doyle and Tommy Sweeney. I am forever confusing them. Even as I type this, I'm not sure which is the TE and which is the OT.

Maybe you're right.  But the guys I was watching the game with all noted that there was a TE playing O line... and some of us weren't drinking  😉

8 hours ago, Eleven said:

You edited your original post, the one to which I originally responded, to correct the error that you had explicitly excluded humidity.  The temperature at game time was 89 degrees.  I don't care what the heat index was; that is normal playing temperature with or without humidity.

I should have stuck to my usual policy regarding your posts and responses.  I'm sorry.  Take care.

This is just not true. Humidity matters and a heat index above 100 is not normal to play in.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Eleven said:

This, on the other hand, has happened.  Well, games have been moved, at least.  But that's because it was impossible / impracticable to travel to the stadium, and not because playing conditions weren't ideal.

I'm with you; play the games in the weather.  LSU manages to play Saturday at noon, you know?

How often in September?  They play those home games at night for a reason.

Korey Stringer died in conditions less severe.

Players were getting sunstroke.  It wasn't just cramping up.  They could easily have played this game at 4PM & the 2nd half wouldn't have had the sun making it effectively 120 on the Bills sideline AND on the field for the entire game.

And, having a little tent providing shade helps a little, but there is a huge difference between that where the air just beyond your canopy literally 4 feet from you in all directions is getting beaten down by the sun and being shaded by a 140' long 40' wide covering.   Guarantee it was at least 20 degrees cooler on the Fishies sideline than on the Bills side or on the field.

Again, players were literally getting sunstroke.  That is excessive.  Your body doesn't gain much relief by sweating when it is that ridiculously hot & humid.  (89 in the shade 72% humidity is a stadium with completely still air & the sun beating down on it.)  People are pointing out that the Fish put an obviously concussed Tua back in the game.   If the Fishies don't care about the health or safety of their own players it shouldn't be surprising that they're perfectly fine putting the visiting team into literally life threatening situations.  (Again, Korey Stringer died in less severe conditions.)

And even with all that, and all the mistakes and the injuries and the bad luck (and you make your own luck to large degree) if the game were 4 seconds longer the Bills very likely win that game.

Fishie fans are celebrating today, and they should be, their boys won.  But Cheats fans were doing so last year as well after a game the weather played a huge factor in.  And they were convinced their boys were clearly better than ours and told us about it for a month.  How'd it work out when their boys met ours again in more even conditions?

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Maybe you're right.  But the guys I was watching the game with all noted that there was a TE playing O line... and some of us weren't drinking  😉

So I looked. It was definitely Tommy Doyle, the 5th round draft pick out of Miami OH in 2021, who played guard.

TE Tommy Sweeney was inactive.

• Thanks (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I would say the biggest issue was the right side of the O line was depleted and that's where Josh likes to roll.  TE Sweeney was playing O line at the end of the game.  It took the time Allen usually has to go through his progressions away.

I would also say that the Bills typically make several plays that that make you go wow.  Late in the game after Allen banged up the finger on his passing hand, he simply couldn't execute like that (look at the pass to McKenzie he turfed in the second-last drive).

Give credit to the Dolphins, they did what they had to do to win.

I saw a tweet that said this was the Dolphins' Super Bowl.  To the Bills it was just an off day.

I'm not worried unless the injuries don't go away.  Hyde is already out for the year.  Let's hope he's the only one.

No.  Tommy Sweeney was inactive.  That was part of the O's problem with having the ball for 40+ minutes.  They only dressed 5 WRs and 2 TEs so they could have 8 DBs.  Once Kumerow went out, Davis who was clearly still bothered by the ankle had to play most all the snaps.  After Jake went down there was only 1 spare TE - Morris & 1 spare WR - Crowder.  Cook took some snaps from the slot they were so thin.

You're confusing Sweeney with Tommy Doyle who is a lineman.  But even there they were playing Mancz in the 4th Q and he was on the practice squad on Saturday.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Hold up. There is a bunch of talk about the SEC playing games in the south in hot temps which is true but a college team has something like 82 players dressed and eligible to play on gameday. College teams tend to rotate a lot more and they have a lot more depth if issues arise. Also also, you do acclimatize to some extent to those temperatures and humidity just like we in Buffalo notice the cold less. SEC having 82 players on each sideline though really changes the equation. 

3 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

They need to stop going to the pass inside the 5, run the dam ball in.

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Singletary is under-used in general, and especially deep in enemy territory.

After they ran Moss up the gut on back to back plays and that directly led to a 3rd and long that became of a fumble, I am serious doubts about the offensive playcalling. They line up Allen 5yrds off the line of scrimmage and then run a slow developing option when the ball is at the 1yrd line but will run a bad RB up the gut from their own 20? It makes no sense and we never need to see Moss out there. Put in singletary and use him, moss and his 2yd runs into his own o line are awful to watch. Before someone brings up his long outside run, that's because he didn't get touched and had no read to make. Moss is basically useless if you aren't going to let him plow into the endzone from the 1. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Hold up. There is a bunch of talk about the SEC playing games in the south in hot temps which is true but a college team has something like 82 players dressed and eligible to play on gameday. College teams tend to rotate a lot more and they have a lot more depth if issues arise. Also also, you do acclimatize to some extent to those temperatures and humidity just like we in Buffalo notice the cold less. SEC having 82 players on each sideline though really changes the equation. 

There is that.  There is also the fact that a lot of early season Gulf Coast SEC games are played at night and also, not many have a humidity of over 70% when it's nearly 90 out with no clouds in sight.  It was a "perfect storm" of conditions essentially making it like they were playing in 120 temperatures. 

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, SwampD said:

This is just not true. Humidity matters and a heat index above 100 is not normal to play in.

OTOH, I recall the Bills having throttled the Dolphins in September in recent memory - presumably when it was a billion degrees. So ... what was up yesterday? Given how many players failed from the heat and humidity, I am wondering why the Bills supporting staff isn't being scrutinized. Whose job is that? Nutritionists? Strength and conditioning? The players themselves, sure. But there have to be coaches/assistants whose job it was to get them ready for a heat game.

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The acclimating is a huge issue. Even for players who are from the south, but play up north.

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

They line up Allen 5yrds off the line of scrimmage and then run a slow developing option when the ball is at the 1yrd line but will run a bad RB up the gut from their own 20? It makes no sense and we never need to see Moss out there. 

It made sense to me given that there was no Morse, there was a botched snap to gift Miami its first score, and, at the very end, there was a P-squad guy at centre.

Just now, That Aud Smell said:

OTOH, I recall the Bills having throttled the Dolphins in September in recent memory - presumably when it was a billion degrees. So ... what was up yesterday? Given how many players failed from the heat and humidity, I am wondering why the Bills supporting staff isn't being scrutinized. Whose job is that? Nutritionists? Strength and conditioning? The players themselves, sure. But there have to be coaches/assistants whose job it was to get them ready for a heat game.

The acclimating is a huge issue. Even for players who are from the south, but play up north.

The heat index was over 100 degrees.  That is just based on air temperature in the shade and humidity levels.  That DOESN'T take into account the fact that having the sun beating down adds to it & being in a partially enclosed bowl added no air movement as well.  There is no way it wasn't effectively 120 on the field.  The Fish could at least go to the sidelines and get into the low 100's.  

The "cool zone" misting fans don't do a whole lot with the sun beating down & it effectively being 120.  The Bills players were stuck in it all game.  Fishies were cramping up as well.  Because they could get out of the sun they didn't suffer the sunstroke injuries as well.

So, what exactly were the trainers & the engineers supposed to do?  Bring a 40' long ice tub the players could sit in while on the side lines?  

Anecdotally, when playing floor hockey in a 120 degree gymnasium would routinely lose 4 lbs over 90 minutes while downing 40+ oz of Gatorade and sometimes 8-10 lbs.  That's routinely netting sweating out a 1/2 gallon & on rare occasion even over a gallon.  How much hydrating can you do in 6 days?  Not that much.

• Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

It made sense to me given that there was no Morse, there was a botched snap to gift Miami its first score, and, at the very end, there was a P-squad guy at centre.

I didn’t see the game, but of all the things I’ve heard about it, the most concerning thing is that, McD on a 3rd and a mile, once again, plays it conservative and only rushes 3 (has that ever worked for him?)

13 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I didn’t see the game, but of all the things I’ve heard about it, the most concerning thing is that, McD on a 3rd and a mile, once again, plays it conservative and only rushes 3 (has that ever worked for him?)

What's really annoying is coming hard the 2 previous plays both resulted in negative yardage.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

It was 112 degrees  including humidity factor honestly thats some  Dangerous ***** the NFL pulled today .

Oh what am i saying they let  Tagovailoa back in the game who Clearly Had a concussion

You include the word index in this post and subsequent posts, none of this ridiculous conversation happens.  Words mean things. 

27 minutes ago, Taro T said:

What's really annoying is coming hard the 2 previous plays both resulted in negative yardage.

Leslie Frazier plays not to lose. He never plays to win. 

41 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Nope but the Bills don't have the killer instincts to destroy teams in close games. They choke again and again and again. They've lost something like 8 one score games in a row.