Buffalo Bills 2022-23

spndnchz

36 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Is THAT what he said?

I thought he said “It’s time for a Ram-pede.”

Also, what happened to Ozzy playing at halftime?

Remember the 26 year old overly made up woman screeching gibberish that they showed for about 15 seconds at the beginning of 1/2 time?  THAT'S what happened to him.

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

Terry Pegula made a number of hiring mistakes when he first took over the Bills. It wasn't until he hired McDermott and then Beane that this franchise took off. Once this regime was in place, he allowed them to do their jobs without much interference. Of course there was constant communication between the ownership and the staff. And that is how it should be because they pay the bills. The Bills are now a model franchise where other organizations repeatedly poach our staff. That's a sign of a successful and respected operation.

The same process of initial failures and turnover of staff happened with the hockey operation. It now appears that the owners have the right staff in place with the current HC and GM. As with the Bills you can see the blueprint for this franchise clearly laid out and being implemented. Most of us now are optimistic about the present and future. 

It is interesting to note that KA has frequently mentioned that he often talks to both Bean and McDermott to get their opinions on building a roster and organizaton. It seems that the Sabres, like the Bills, are now in sync from top to bottom in the organization. The Sabres are still far from having a complete roster like the Bills but everything is trending up. How can one not be optimistic?!

Pegula made one hiring mistake; Rex Ryan. His next hiring decisions more than made up for that as we’ve witnessed.

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It’s much easier to be accurate when you have time to throw the ball and real players who can catch the football when it’s thrown to them.  That said Josh is a unicorn in so many ways.  He has the work ethic to learn and get better.  He also is a once in life time athlete at his position.  He is a tough as a linebacker, can run like a power tailback, can read a defense like Tom Brady, throw a football like Dan Fouts, lead a team like Joe Montana and is as competitive as Jim Kelly.  I watched a show on the NFL Network where they were discussing teams changing their schemes to be more like the Bills offense.  One of the panelists said it’s basically impossible because they don’t have a Josh Allen to run it.  

He didn't need time to throw. He was getting rid of the ball quicker than he ever had. Under 2.5 seconds almost every snap. He learns more and more each year, and I think Ken Dorsey is designing these plays for Josh to chuck the ball quick. Something Daboll never did. Josh is just a big sponge and only wants to get better day by day. And he is proving to the world that anything is possible if you are willing to keep learning. And that's why he is a perfect fit for Buffalo. Willing to get greasy. Could you imagine if Baker Mayfield was the Bills QB?

6 hours ago, Claude Balls said:

He didn't need time to throw. He was getting rid of the ball quicker than he ever had. Under 2.5 seconds almost every snap. He learns more and more each year, and I think Ken Dorsey is designing these plays for Josh to chuck the ball quick. Something Daboll never did. Josh is just a big sponge and only wants to get better day by day. And he is proving to the world that anything is possible if you are willing to keep learning. And that's why he is a perfect fit for Buffalo. Willing to get greasy. Could you imagine if Baker Mayfield was the Bills QB?

It’s great to see it. I do like the Josh Allen hold and throw it for 30 when all the coverage breaks and that he brings that back against teams who don’t have 99.

• Like (+1) 1

Been hearing and reading a lot lately about Josh Allen's progression as a quarterback. QB's get better with games played. They see more, experience more, learn more. Confusion evaporates over time. Nothing groundbreaking there. But what gets me really excited about watching JA in the years to come?

I'll leave you with this: Career Games Played to Date

Tom Brady - 302

Aaron Rodgers - 197

Josh Allen - 62

10 hours ago, K-9 said:

Pegula made one hiring mistake; Rex Ryan. His next hiring decisions more than made up for that as we’ve witnessed.

The Rex hire was a Pegula hire. The owner said he hired him because he wanted to raise the profile of this franchise. Although his stint as a coach was short, it set this franchise back in years. I'm not sure if Pegula was involved in the Whaley hire? His tenure can be described as mediocre at best. And correct me if I'm wrong but Russ Brandon was a GM or at least instrumental in the football operation. That period of time was not noted for excellence. 

The core of my original post is that the football operation was a middling operation until he got the right people in place and then empowered them to do their jobs. And it is not unfair to describe the hockey operation during Pegula's ownership as churning staff/coaches resulting in piddling results and organizational instability. Until he hired KA this franchise was a floundering franchise that was going nowhere. I'm hopeful that the situation has stabilized and is on the right course.    

17 hours ago, Claude Balls said:

Josh Allen isn't a unicorn. He is a young kid who has a brain like a sponge and was willing to take advice and learn.

The people who tried to develop EJ Manuel would like a word. Countless other examples. Freak athlete. Great kid. Poor mechanics. Inaccurate. It just didn’t work - not for lack of trying on his part. 

Allen is an outlier. Bless up.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

The Rex hire was a Pegula hire. The owner said he hired him because he wanted to raise the profile of this franchise. Although his stint as a coach was short, it set this franchise back in years. I'm not sure if Pegula was involved in the Whaley hire? His tenure can be described as mediocre at best. And correct me if I'm wrong but Russ Brandon was a GM or at least instrumental in the football operation. That period of time was not noted for excellence. 

The core of my original post is that the football operation was a middling operation until he got the right people in place and then empowered them to do their jobs. And it is not unfair to describe the hockey operation during Pegula's ownership as churning staff/coaches resulting in piddling results and organizational instability. Until he hired KA this franchise was a floundering franchise that was going nowhere. I'm hopeful that the situation has stabilized and is on the right course.    

Russ Brandon was instrumental in hiring Rex, He recommended Him over the preferred candidate the Head Coach Search Firm the Pegulas had hired. Fortunately that same candidate was available after Rex was fired. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Whaley and Brandon preceded the Pegulas by years. 

I understood and appreciated the core of your original post. I was just clarifying that the Pegulas only made one bad mistake with the hiring of Rex Ryan as opposed to several. Perhaps it could be argued they made a mistake by retaining both Brandon and Whaley, but I saw the value in keeping them aboard at the time. Especially Brandon, who had cultivated numerous key relationships around the league, including NFL offices in NY, over his 17 year tenure at that point. Terry and Kim relied on him a lot early on as new  owners in the league. And they wasted no time in jettisoning Whaley shortly after giving Rex the axe, anyway. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

I don't think it's right to call Allen a unicorn.  He's a player who, in the past, most executives overlooked because of some preconceived notion of what a "QB" is. Much like other players who have altered the path of the position throughout the past.

There are other Allen's out there, and you'll see teams try and find them and they will be successful because right now there are youth football coaches looking at kids the size of Allen and thinking... perhaps he'd be a better QB than LB?

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, LTS said:

I don't think it's right to call Allen a unicorn.  He's a player who, in the past, most executives overlooked because of some preconceived notion of what a "QB" is. Much like other players who have altered the path of the position throughout the past.

There are other Allen's out there, and you'll see teams try and find them and they will be successful because right now there are youth football coaches looking at kids the size of Allen and thinking... perhaps he'd be a better QB than LB?

I have to disagree there hasn't been a player of his Caliber and never will be .

Just like brady 

Just like Megatron

Just like deion Sanders

Just like barry sanders.

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Whaley and Brandon preceded the Pegulas by years. 

I understood and appreciated the core of your original post. I was just clarifying that the Pegulas only made one bad mistake with the hiring of Rex Ryan as opposed to several. Perhaps it could be argued they made a mistake by retaining both Brandon and Whaley, but I saw the value in keeping them aboard at the time. Especially Brandon, who had cultivated numerous key relationships around the league, including NFL offices in NY, over his 17 year tenure at that point. Terry and Kim relied on him a lot early on as new  owners in the league. And they wasted no time in jettisoning Whaley shortly after giving Rex the axe, anyway. 

They did.  But it was Pegula who elevated Brandon to be the president of not just the Bills but also the Sabres.  THAT was a HUGE mistake.  Brandon is a marketer and a huge self-promoter.  Don't care that he had ties in the various league offices.  He doesn't know #### about finding guys that actually know personnel.  Getting rid of him is nearly as good a decision as hiring McDermott & subsequently Beane.

Edited by Taro T

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

They did.  But it was Pegula who elevated Brandon to be the president of not just the Bills but also the Sabres.  THAT was a HUGE mistake.  Brandon is a marketer and a huge self-promoter.  Don't care that he had ties in the various league offices.  He doesn't know #### about finding guys that actually know personnel.  Getting rid of him is nearly as good a decision as hiring McDermott & subsequently Beane.

Towards the end, Brandon had to go as he made himself a toxic entity. I agree he probably should have gone sooner. And I agree it was a mistake to have him involved with the Sabres. But I can’t speak personally to his time with the Sabres. 

I’ll just say I have reason to disagree with the rest of it as it pertains to his time with the Bills and leave it at that because I don’t want to re-litigate his entire tenure with the team. I will just say that shortly after he arrived in ‘97, he became joined at the hip to John Butler and then Tom Donahoe after that. We can denigrate them because their W-L record wasn’t much to write home about, but they were two of the best football personnel minds in the business for many years prior. Brandon, even though his marketing strategies immediately produced new revenues for the team and were successful, knew a lot more than just marketing after those eight years with those two. 

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Russ Brandon was instrumental in hiring Rex, He recommended Him over the preferred candidate the Head Coach Search Firm the Pegulas had hired. Fortunately that same candidate was available after Rex was fired. 

I'm not disputing the influence of Brandon in the hiring of Rex. But the owner was intrigued with Rex because he had a higher profile value that he wanted to add to this staid franchise. Ultimately, this was a Pegula hire that clearly didn't work out. To the owners credit if something is not working he is not afraid of making changes, even if he has to pay off contracts. From a financial standpoint Rex made out because he had a rich and extended contract that the owner bought out. It was simply an atrocious hire. 

3 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

I have to disagree there hasn't been a player of his Caliber and never will be .

Just like brady 

Just like Megatron

Just like deion Sanders

Just like barry sanders.

By naming equivalents you just proved he’s not a unicorn.

And what makes him a unicorn anyway?  That something in his skillset wasn’t noticed or prioritized by the teams that passed him over?  Happens every draft.  And every few years one of them turn into an elite player.

Glad it worked out in our favor for a change.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

Towards the end, Brandon had to go as he made himself a toxic entity. I agree he probably should have gone sooner. And I agree it was a mistake to have him involved with the Sabres. But I can’t speak personally to his time with the Sabres. 

I’ll just say I have reason to disagree with the rest of it as it pertains to his time with the Bills and leave it at that because I don’t want to re-litigate his entire tenure with the team. I will just say that shortly after he arrived in ‘97, he became joined at the hip to John Butler and then Tom Donahoe after that. We can denigrate them because their W-L record wasn’t much to write home about, but they were two of the best football personnel minds in the business for many years prior. Brandon, even though his marketing strategies immediately produced new revenues for the team and were successful, knew a lot more than just marketing after those eight years with those two. 

He was a marketer and hanging around Bulter or Donahoe never made him a football man.   And like most marketers, the thing he marketed more than any other was himself.  And it reads like you had personal encounters with him, and that you along w/ Wilson & the Pegulas bought what he was selling. 

SOB should never have become effectively the team president after Donahoe was fired.  Way outside his wheelhouse.  That he had the chutzpah to allow himself to become the GM after Levy left is absolutely ridiculous.  Notice how the timing of the Bills & Sabres turning to #### coincides with his gaining ownership's ear?  Pretty sure neither was a coincidence.

He helped bring back a way past his expiration date Levy, brought us the Toronto Bills, through the 3 headed GM monster that was him, Nix, & Jauron brought us Aaron Maybin, directly brought us Rex Ryan, & brought us Botterill.  Heck of a job there, Brandon.

Not sure where you're getting that things were bad under Butler, they weren't.  (Definitely not when he cared, although he did pretty much set them up into cap he'll before leaving.)  And until Butler decided he was going to leave Buffalo because he would never get a fair contract, he did a very good job.  He mysteriously (ya, right)  turned into a drafting moron his last draft w/ the Bills, but other than that he was solid & the Bills were very good.  Probably should've won the SB in '99 if not for 1 tragic failed kickoff coverage.  Donahoe was very successful before Buffalo and probably would've gotten the Bills to the playoffs given more time.  Seeing how things went for Black, have to wonder how much, if any, influence Brandon had in that canning.  Their being excellent football men didn't make their "buddy" one via osmosis.

Edited by Taro T

1 hour ago, Weave said:

By naming equivalents you just proved he’s not a unicorn.

And what makes him a unicorn anyway?  That something in his skillset wasn’t noticed or prioritized by the teams that passed him over?  Happens every draft.  And every few years one of them turn into an elite player.

Glad it worked out in our favor for a change.

You mean naming players that no player will ever become? 

a unicorn to me means  there will never be anyone like that player meaning (one of a kind )

Edited by Buffalonill

11 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

You mean naming players that no player will ever become? 

a unicorn to me means  there will never be anyone like that player meaning (one of a kind )

Yeah, no player is quite like any other. I guess they are all unicorns.

Really, generational QBs, WRs, CBs, DEs, LBs come along 2-3 times every generation.  And Allen isn’t generational yet.  He’s still got legitimate debate whether he’s #1, 2, or 3 right now.  He’s not a unicorn.  He’s an elite QB for this era.

35 minutes ago, Weave said:

Yeah, no player is quite like any other. I guess they are all unicorns.

Really, generational QBs, WRs, CBs, DEs, LBs come along 2-3 times every generation.  And Allen isn’t generational yet.  He’s still got legitimate debate whether he’s #1, 2, or 3 right now.  He’s not a unicorn.  He’s an elite QB for this era.

Not Allen, he's a centaur - a horse that has a great arm.  😉

• Haha (+1) 1